Welcome Anonymous !

This forum is intended to give the members of the ShiningWorld community a place to meet and discuss Vedanta among themselves. We do not endorse any of the views or opinions expressed here--unless they are made by one of our endorsed teachers--so please take advice and / or teaching from another member of the forum at your own risk. If you feel you have a question that is not being adequately answered in this forum, please contact one of our endorsed teachers directly.

Board index General Discussion

General Discussion

-

This is where to post topics that do not fall into any of the below chapters. please post there whenever possible. If you cannot decide where to post, post here and your topic may be moved to the appropriate chapter as deemed relevant.

Moderator: milarepa

-

Postby Rick » Tue Aug 23, 2016 3:01 pm

-
Last edited by Rick on Tue Oct 25, 2016 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rick

Re: Objects & Happiness

Postby Mira » Thu Aug 25, 2016 5:29 pm

Hi Rick,
Welcome to the forum! It's great to have you here :D.
I'm glad you've found Vedanta--it really is the best.

Rick wrote: I know deep down that objects are not the way to happiness both intellectually and through my own experience. I know the world is not going to give me what I am looking for, but I still cannot shake the motivation to move outward into the world and indulge in my thoughts in hope I will get happiness.
It feels as if I have no control over these motivations and that I am destined to continue to keep trying and continue to be unhappy with the results.

I think it's very important to realize that life is a zero-sum game. James talks about that in "How to attain englightenment" You can never win in mithya. You might feel happy for a while but that is guaranteed to change.
However, I do see your dilemma. Unless you realize from your own experience that happiness does not lie in objects then it's very hard to give up chasing external sources of happiness.

So my advice is go ahead and chase the external sources of happiness. But do it mindfully. See if attaining the object you desire actually makes you happy, and if so, for how long? What is the time lapse between attaining your desired object and then fearing that you will lose the object? How quickly do you find yourself replacing the old desire with a new one? Soon enough, if you are an astute observer, you will see that happiness cannot and does not lie in objects. Desires and fears are like an endless treadmill. You just cannot win! It's a set-up. But you do need to realize it for yourself.

Rick wrote: I have only studied the objects part of the tutorial so far and I feel that I should not move onto the next teaching until I have really come to terms with the Objects & Happiness part.

I am wondering if I am being too thorough? and that maybe I should just listen to the next part of the teaching anyway even though I know that there is no happiness in chasing things but I am still doing it.

Others may differ with my view here. However, I think that you should go ahead and go through the entire teaching. Once you understand what is 'real' (satya) and what is 'apparently real' (mithya) then you will not be so prone to chasing happiness in mithya.

Speaking for myself, I needed the complete teaching to see the whole picture. And I needed that in order to remove all the doubts that I had.

I highly recommend that you correspond with one of the wonderful Shining World teachers if you have specific questions about the teaching. It helped me tremendously.
It can be hard to figure it all out on your own (even with James' terrific books and videos). Running things by a teacher is a great way to make sure that you've actually understood the teaching correctly.

And of course, please feel free to post here too with any questions/thoughts/insights. We'd love to hear from you.

I wish you all the best as you journey through the Vedanta teachings. It will be the most important trip you take :D.

Cheers! Mira
Mira

-

Postby Rick » Mon Aug 29, 2016 11:37 am

-
Last edited by Rick on Tue Oct 25, 2016 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rick

Postby Mira » Mon Aug 29, 2016 6:17 pm

Wonderful! Wonderful! Rick. I am so happy to read your post. Now that the penny has dropped, the understanding (of your true self) will just keep getting clearer and clearer.

You are sat chit ananda (truth, consciousness, eternal/limitless bliss). As you say, there is absolutely nothing to gain or lose. You are whole and complete.

Thanks for the update. Do keep us posted. Would love to hear how your inquiry is proceeding.

And yes, we are all so grateful to James and the SW teachers :D.
Mira

-

Postby Rick » Thu Sep 01, 2016 11:15 am

-
Last edited by Rick on Tue Oct 25, 2016 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rick

Postby Arlindo Nagar » Sat Sep 03, 2016 1:31 pm

Hi Rick, Mira’s replies are excellent, and I agree with her that you better expose your mind to the whole body of Vedanta teachings. The teachings are very simple analyses based on our ordinary experiences of life. Most people do not realize its value, not because they are philosophical or complicate, but because they are so shockingly simple that they are sometimes hard to accept.

The teachings, will gently expose one’s misinterpretation of the natural functioning of creation and its universal psychology. They will call for an adjustment on Jiva’s subjective view of reality – they will expose one’s misapprehension of the nature of reality, and for most people, that is something difficult to take.

In Ramji’s books, the teachings are structured in such way that they gradually support and enhance one's previous understanding – they build, brick by brick, the foundation of one's non-dual vision of reality, which is the sole purpose of Vedanta. Once one’s non-dual vision is firm, one still lives in the world, but free from it. Vedanta calls it Moksha or Liberation.

Also important to notice that before one’s vision is wide, clear and firm, it is natural to have the knowledge that the joy is not in the object, and yet find oneself going for them. Some vasanas are hard-wired, and they die hard. Maya is the trickiest, like in a mirror, it makes things look reversed - but Maya is also a great teacher, because it apparently hides the truth from the Jivas - but only to apparently reveal it. :lol:

Therefore, at all times, keep in mind that you are not the vasanas, and if they happen to get you into some sort of trouble here and there, take the result as Prasad… as a good opportunity to learn some of Maya’s lessons and to be reminded that you are the unaffected Awareness, the witnessing principle in which karma takes place. Enjoy the trip, my friend, and much love.
Arlindo Nagar

Return to General Discussion

Login

User Menu