Welcome Anonymous !

This forum is intended to give the members of the ShiningWorld community a place to meet and discuss Vedanta among themselves. We do not endorse any of the views or opinions expressed here--unless they are made by one of our endorsed teachers--so please take advice and / or teaching from another member of the forum at your own risk. If you feel you have a question that is not being adequately answered in this forum, please contact one of our endorsed teachers directly.

Board index General Discussion

General Discussion

How would someone approach raising a child if they were into

This is where to post topics that do not fall into any of the below chapters. please post there whenever possible. If you cannot decide where to post, post here and your topic may be moved to the appropriate chapter as deemed relevant.

Moderator: Wayne

How would someone approach raising a child if they were into

Postby Ian W. » Sat Sep 03, 2016 4:30 pm

How would someone approach raising a child if they were into Vedanta?

Would you teach it to stop crying and understand that it is Awareness?

Would you deal with the crying by knowing that it's not real, that as Awareness, you have no child? :)
Ian W.

Re: How would someone approach raising a child if they were

Postby Andrew » Sun Sep 18, 2016 6:41 pm

Hi Ian,

Right below this topic in the General Discussion part of the forum is a thread called "Vedanta for kids" which covers this topic. You may have already seen this, in which case, apologies for the duplication and being Captain Obvious :)

I think the general consensus is that Vedanta is not for kids. It is for people who have reached a point in their lives when they begin to doubt the human addiction to objects and experiences which, tends not to be a trait found in young folk,though not impossible. I am reminded that the great sage, Adi Shankaracharya, as a child, tricked his mother into granting permission to take his sanyasi vows to become a monk. Ramana Marharshi was an adolescent whe he tried to imagine being dead.

However, these are rare,exceptional cases which means the vast majority of children are not predisposed to the type of introspection needed to learn vedanta.

I would imagine that a parent with some vedanta under their belts might be able to impart some useful tidbits in a way that is kid friendly and pragmatic, but to grasp,the full scope of the teaching seems unlikely. I cant imagine sitting my 10 year old nephew down and saying "Well Billy, all your desires are just objects arising in awareness and are proxies for your search to understand your true nature as limitless consciousness." I dont see my ex sister in law going for that..lol...

I think prepping a child with dharmic values is the best any parent can hope for because, after a certain point, they are let loose in the world and will do whatever the hell their vasanas urge them to do. Give them a tool kit of values and model righteous behaviours...then cross your fingers and say "It is your problem now Isvara!"

Andrew (step father of 4)
Andrew

Re: How would someone approach raising a child if they were

Postby Ian W. » Mon Sep 19, 2016 5:16 am

Thanks. I did see that post and wanted to delete this one. I've been having some technical difficulties with this site. It also seems like some posts have just disappeared.
Ian W.

Return to General Discussion

Login

User Menu