Welcome Anonymous !

This forum is intended to give the members of the ShiningWorld community a place to meet and discuss Vedanta among themselves. We do not endorse any of the views or opinions expressed here--unless they are made by one of our endorsed teachers--so please take advice and / or teaching from another member of the forum at your own risk. If you feel you have a question that is not being adequately answered in this forum, please contact one of our endorsed teachers directly.

Board index General Discussion

General Discussion

Good Vedanta related movies/documentaries?

This is where to post topics that do not fall into any of the below chapters. please post there whenever possible. If you cannot decide where to post, post here and your topic may be moved to the appropriate chapter as deemed relevant.

Moderator: milarepa

Good Vedanta related movies/documentaries?

Postby Ian W. » Sat Oct 15, 2016 10:32 pm

There's a good movie about the life of Adi Sankaracharya on Youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HoIomFriTwM

Does anyone have any suggestions for other good movies/documentaries to watch?

Thanks.
Ian W.

Re: Good Vedanta related movies/documentaries?

Postby Mira » Sun Oct 16, 2016 4:30 pm

Hi Ian,
Nice to hear from you! Hope things are going well. I was able to see some of the movie on Adi Shankara and it was really well done. Really captured the vedic way of life in ancient times, I thought.

The Vedanta movie that I am waiting for is called On a Quest: http://www.onaquestmovie-cmw.com/home (based on the life of Swami Chinmayanada). But it does not seem to have had a wide release or be on DVD yet.
Mira

Postby Ian W. » Sat Oct 22, 2016 12:07 am

I'd like to see that too.
Ian W.

Postby Mira » Sat Oct 22, 2016 10:29 am

I also recall either James or Sundari recommending the movie "American Beauty".
Mira

Postby Ian W. » Sun Oct 23, 2016 1:53 am

Really? I remember watching that movie ages ago with my ex. She was so upset by the movie. She didn't like it because it painted the wife as the bad person. She thought it was sexist.
Ian W.

Postby Mira » Sun Oct 23, 2016 9:14 am

Hi Ian,
Here is the bit from the Satsang:
Samuel: All of this reminded me of another film, American Beauty, an absolute masterpiece of filmmaking, which has a character that senses the beauty in everything, even amidst the massive suffering that is depicted in that film by all of the characters, himself included. The main character learns this lesson as the film draws to a close.

Sundari:One of our all time favourites; we watched it again the other day just for fun. We love Ken Spacey and the character he played in that movie. The young man was brilliant too, poignantly capturing the essence of the unbearable lightness of being to perfection.

The movie has dark humor to be sure, but I also thought Kevin Spacey nailed it really well.
Mira

Postby cheshirecat » Thu Nov 17, 2016 11:55 am

The new movie Arrival seems to speak to the Vendanta in me... I really can't say why, though. It just seemed to reach a place beyond the words in me.
cheshirecat

Postby Stan » Sat Nov 19, 2016 2:36 am

Hi Cheshirecat, ( are you a Brit ? )

I`m curious about seeing the film you mentioned but can`t find a `new movie` version.
Can you give an AMAZON link to it. all i can find is a version a few years old now.
I`d be happy to watch it and give a comment on it. thanks.
Stan

Postby Mira » Sat Nov 19, 2016 6:02 pm

Hi Cheshire cat,

Thanks for the recommendation! I watched the movie today. I really enjoyed it and I agree with you that it touches on Vedantic concepts. For example, time being non-linear, assimilation in new concepts/language rewiring our brains and changing our mental focus/abilities, one appearing as many, free will and determinism etc..

Sorry if I sound cryptic, but I'm trying to discuss it without giving away the plot :D. It was also a well-made movie, meditative in nature without the action sequences that are typical in a sci-fi movie.

Stan, it's a new release (at least in the US):
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2543164/
Mira

Postby Pedro » Sun Nov 20, 2016 10:00 pm

Hello all,

I'd like to recommend the animation movie 'Fantastic mr. Fox'. It's an adaptation from a Roald Dahl story with voices by Meryl Streep, Bill Murray & George Clooney. There's buckets of creativity in the animation and witty and intelligent dialogue.

Why I brought this up in this topic is because there's a scene at the end where the protagonist meets a wild wolf. Director Wes Anderson said this scene was the most important in the movie to him and he stated the wolf represents the protagonist's wild, undomesticated nature.

I think however Iswara secretly used Wes Anderson to convey an even deeper meaning namely The protagonist saluting his real Self which is free and unaffected by maya. The lonely wolf is seen in a white world, unaffected by civilization. Anyhow it's a beautiful scene, however you take it.

Recommended!
Pedro

Return to General Discussion

Login

User Menu