Welcome Anonymous !

This forum is intended to give the members of the ShiningWorld community a place to meet and discuss Vedanta among themselves. We do not endorse any of the views or opinions expressed here--unless they are made by one of our endorsed teachers--so please take advice and / or teaching from another member of the forum at your own risk. If you feel you have a question that is not being adequately answered in this forum, please contact one of our endorsed teachers directly.

Board index General Discussion

General Discussion

Work is Worship

This is where to post topics that do not fall into any of the below chapters. please post there whenever possible. If you cannot decide where to post, post here and your topic may be moved to the appropriate chapter as deemed relevant.

Moderator: Wayne

Work is Worship

Postby Mira » Wed Nov 30, 2016 8:27 am

As a young girl, my very worthy school motto of “Work is Worship” never made sense to me. However, last night I was contemplating the relationship between dharma and work and suddenly the phrase popped up into my head and it made total sense!

When work is performed dharmically, there is a deep sense of satisfaction. You simply attend to what is in front of you and do it honestly, ethically and as best as you can. It occurs to me that this is actually a form of worship of the self and that is why it feels deeply satisfying. It feels so right because you are dharma itself!

This manifestation (that we find ourselves in) would not occur, or be sustained without dharma. Ishvara is nothing other than dharma. So, by performing work dharmically, you are worshipping yourself. It’s a form of bhakti.

This means that every morning when you check those 30 emails or head to stressful meetings, don’t fret. It is actually an opportunity for worship. It is an opportunity to perform bhakti. And we get countless such opportunities during the busy work day. Do your work dharmically and lovingly and enjoy the deep satisfaction of being yourself. You are dharma :D .
Mira

Re: Work is Worship

Postby kpitsim » Tue Dec 06, 2016 9:59 am

Mira:

That was a lovely post. Perfectly personifies the following saying I have had hanging in my office for the past 19 years:

To live well is to work well,
to show a good activity.
Those who are more adapted to the active life
can prepare themselves for contemplation
in the practice of the active life
while those who are more adapted
to the contemplative life
can take upon themselves the works of the active life so as to become
yet more apt for the contemplative life.

St. Thomas Acquinas
13th Century

Bob
kpitsim

Postby Mira » Tue Dec 06, 2016 6:31 pm

Hi Bob,
Thanks for posting that quote. It's great and so perfectly true! The active life is indeed tied to contemplation.

When I first started seeking, I used to find work to be such a bother. I perceived it as a distraction that was keeping me from contemplation. Only later did it occur to me to see the divine aspect in the work itself (and not run away from it to try and find the divine elsewhere!).

A job done well without any concern for results is such a beautiful act of worship. And the reward is instant in the feeling of deep peace/joy (ananda).

I recall reading a book by a famous Buddhist teacher on mind training. He gave the example of a minister who has been asked by his king to move all the furniture from one palace to another one (I may be completely embellishing this story!). The devoted minister works tirelessly all day and all night and finally accomplishes the job. At the end of it, though the minister is tired, his mind is calm (sattvic) and he experiences a feeling of deep peace and satisfaction. This was a description of the state of nirvana or similar (according to this teacher anyway).

It's experiential Buddhist stuff I know--but it makes the point that a sattvic mind can be achieved by performing a job to the best of your ability. And the self is, then of course, reflected in such a sattvic mind. So work is worship indeed :D.

Thanks again for posting that lovely quote.
Mira

Postby Changeup » Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:27 pm

Mira wrote:As a young girl, my very worthy school motto of “Work is Worship” never made sense to me. However, last night I was contemplating the size genetics relationship between dharma and work and suddenly the phrase popped up into my head and it made total sense!

When work is performed dharmically, there is a deep sense of satisfaction. You simply attend to what is in front of you and do it honestly, ethically and as best as you can. It occurs to me that this is actually a form of worship of the self and that is why it feels deeply satisfying. It feels so right because you are dharma itself!

True, I love hard work. When I do nothing I feel like I've wasted time and I feel bad.
Last edited by Changeup on Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Changeup

Postby Ian W. » Thu Jan 19, 2017 11:50 pm

Does awareness work? Does work change awareness? Is there any work to be done?
Ian W.

Postby kpitsim » Fri Jan 20, 2017 10:03 am

Ian:

You wrote:

1. Does awareness work? 2. Does work change awareness? 3. Is there any work to be done?

Answers (IMHO)

1. No, it just reflects or illumines

2. No, only our appreciation of awareness

3.Absolute answer : No Relative answer: You bet.

For all practical purposes, you would almost certainly not be in this discussion group if you had no sense that there was any work to be done. I say almost certainly because it is possible that one can understand that there is no work to be done, because work arises by itself from the play of the gunas, and one knows one is beyond the gunas, therefore beyond work, yet enjoys the play of participating in the discussion group.

Bob
kpitsim

Return to General Discussion

Login

User Menu