Welcome Anonymous !

This forum is intended to give the members of the ShiningWorld community a place to meet and discuss Vedanta among themselves. We do not endorse any of the views or opinions expressed here--unless they are made by one of our endorsed teachers--so please take advice and / or teaching from another member of the forum at your own risk. If you feel you have a question that is not being adequately answered in this forum, please contact one of our endorsed teachers directly.

Board index General Discussion

General Discussion

Spritual Places

This is where to post topics that do not fall into any of the below chapters. please post there whenever possible. If you cannot decide where to post, post here and your topic may be moved to the appropriate chapter as deemed relevant.

Moderator: milarepa

Spritual Places

Postby Mira » Tue Jan 10, 2017 1:28 pm

On my run this morning, I was thinking of Arlindo's post and how he describes his relationship to India and how it's kind of a spiritual home to him. And also his comment on how the energy around Arunachala can make a mind so sattvic.

I thought it might be uplifting to think about places in our own lives that have a similar effect on us.

For me, I was fortunate to spend many years in the beautiful American Southwest. I had no idea about Vedanta in those days. However, going into the desert immediately made this mind sattvic. Vast stretches of emptiness as far as the eye could see. I would spend endless hours in the desert and only now do I understand why I did it.

Now I am fortunate to live among mountains and they have a similar sattvic effect. I love being on high mountain passes and peaks. Being able to see as far as the eye can see from a mountain peak is inherently sattvic and resembles the perspective of the self.

I was also thinking of the notion of a pilgrimage. Ancient and modern sages walked with devotion to places of spiritual significance to them. For example, Ramana Maharishi was drawn to Arunachala and Swami Tapovanam to Mt. Kailash. I often think of certain long hikes as pilgrimages and I love the sense of devotion that they evoke.

But there are places closer to home which are also spiritual. For example, I've become a real neat-nik these days. I can't stand a messy room or office. I'm constantly tidying up. It drives my family nuts. I finally understand the phrase "Cleanliness is next to Godliness". But a tidy living room, where I can sit and read satsangs on SW is a highly spiritual space for me.

And, of course, the Shining World website is a deeply spiritual 'space' in and of itself. Have you noticed how when you are contemplating something and log onto SW, the perfect random satsang that clarifies or illuminates your contemplation shows up! How does Ishvara do that every single time ;).

And this forum is an important spiritual space too. Where else can we connect with like-minded people and talk about Vedanta, enlightenment, dharma, karma, bhakti and of course, the self that we all are? Where else can we use sanskrit vocabulary and expect others to know our precise meaning? Where else can we describe our deepest insights and ask questions about the meaning of life?

If you have the time, I would really love to hear about spaces that are spiritually important to you. Mira
Mira

Return to General Discussion

Login

User Menu