Welcome Anonymous !

This forum is intended to give the members of the ShiningWorld community a place to meet and discuss Vedanta among themselves. We do not endorse any of the views or opinions expressed here--unless they are made by one of our endorsed teachers--so please take advice and / or teaching from another member of the forum at your own risk. If you feel you have a question that is not being adequately answered in this forum, please contact one of our endorsed teachers directly.

Board index General Discussion

General Discussion

Bhakti: The ultimate fruit of Self-Knowledge

This is where to post topics that do not fall into any of the below chapters. please post there whenever possible. If you cannot decide where to post, post here and your topic may be moved to the appropriate chapter as deemed relevant.

Moderator: milarepa

Bhakti: The ultimate fruit of Self-Knowledge

Postby Mira » Sat Sep 09, 2017 3:29 pm

The ultimate fruit of self-knowledge has been the development of bhakti (devotion). In our society, even talking about God is anathema. But that has left a God- sized hole (as Swami S would say) which we try to fill up with alcohol, drugs, food etc.. As we follow the teachings of Vedanta we become aware of this God-sized hole and eventually we fill it up with, well…God! :D

The purpose of human life is clearly self-realization or God realization. Once self-knowledge is attained, then what is there to do? Not much, other than seeing the divinity in everything, everywhere. It happens automatically and it is the greatest fruit of self-knowledge.

To see consciousness or God in everything is an indescribable joy. In every thought, in every deed, in every jiva, in every action, in every beautiful landscape, in everything, period. I heard a talk by Swami S, in which he said that Vedanta is discovering you are sweetness, and bhakti is tasting the sweet. It is so delicious to taste this sweetness, it just melts your heart with love.

People have accused Vedanta of being dry and intellectual. These people have not fully realized the self, if they have not felt bhakti rise up in their hearts spontaneously as ultimate fruit of self-realization (more than moksha even).

The strongest love that one has, is always toward oneself. Therefore, after self-realization, the love one develops towards oneself (i.e., God/self) is so strong. The self in love with the self. This is true non-dual bhakti and it is simply divine.

It is such a joy to have the God sized hole within me filled with non-dual bhakti towards the self. I wish you the same. The idols and photos of baby Krishna or Natraja (Shiva) or Ganesh can reduce me to tears as symbols of the self. The songs of Kabir in worship of the nirguna brahman make me smile everyday. Mountain, sunrises and wildfowers make me pray with love. Ordinary, everyday experiences are so divine.

I wish you the joy of love. Mira
Mira

Re: Bhakti: The ultimate fruit of Self-Knowledge

Postby kpitsim » Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:13 am

Mira and the anyone else reading:

Thank you for the reminder about The sweetness of bhakti. I have also enjoyed Swami S though I do not recall this expression from the you tubes I have watched.

By the way, in addition to Swami S I am also enjoying the You tubes of Clifford Bede that come to me by emails. Do you (Mira or anyone else) get those and do you watch them?

Bob
kpitsim

Postby Mira » Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:44 pm

Hi Bob,
I've not watched anything by Bede Clifford. Can you provide a brief description of the videos and any recommendations of particular ones. I'm assuming he is a Vedanta teacher, correct?
Thanks!
Mira

Postby kpitsim » Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:12 pm

Mira:

He is an Australian whose background is in psychology I believe. He was a full time student with Swami Dayananda for the last 14 months that Swami Dayananda taught. Just sent you something through my iPhone to your email address, and will do something now with my Mac computer. Talks 11 and 12 go together very nicely.

Bob
kpitsim

Postby Mira » Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:25 pm

Thanks, Bob!
I'm traveling for the next couple of weeks. But will take a look when I get back. What a privilege to have been able to study with Swami Dayananda for 14 months!
Mira

Postby Mira » Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:59 am

Hi Bob,
I was able to see most of the #12 video yesterday and I enjoyed it. It's direct, clear and very practical. Very useful teachings. Thanks! Mira
Mira

Postby kpitsim » Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:11 am

Mira:

Most welcome. Glad you found it useful, so have I. If interested its just a couple of clicks and I can forward to you future postings from him.

Bob
kpitsim

Postby Mira » Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:31 pm

Thanks Bob. It might be better to post the links on the forum. That way more people can benefit.
Mira

Postby georgschiller » Mon Sep 18, 2017 3:23 pm

To see consciousness or God in everything is an indescribable joy

Yes, indeed!! :) :P

Some quotes to share for those interested 8-)

“Bondage and Liberation are of the mind alone.”
― Ramakrishna

“If you must be mad, be it not for the things of the world. Be mad with the love of God.”
― Ramakrishna

“God is in all men, but all men are not in God; that is why we suffer.”
― Ramakrishna

“Love is an endless mystery, because there is no reasonable cause that could explain it.”
Tagore

“Let me not pray to be sheltered from dangers,
but to be fearless in facing them.

Let me not beg for the stilling of my pain, but
for the heart to conquer it.”
― Rabindranath Tagore

“Common men talk bagfuls of religion but do not practise even a grain of it. The wise man speaks a little, even though his whole life is religion expressed in action.”
― Ramakrishna

"Who really knows? Who will proclaim it? Whence was
it produced? Whence is the creation? The gods came
afterwards, with the creation of this universe. Who then
knows whence it has arisen?
Whence this creation has arisen—perhaps it formed itself,
or perhaps it did not—the one who looks down on it, in
the highest heaven, only he knows—or perhaps he does
not know."
Song of Creation, Rig Veda

"I Have Learned So Much from God
That I can no longer
Call
Myself

A Christian, a Hindu, a Muslim,
a Buddhist, a Jew.

The Truth has shared so much of Itself
With me

That I can no longer call myself
A man, a woman, an angel,
Or even a pure
Soul.

Love has
Befriended Hafiz so completely
It has turned to ash
And freed
Me

Of every concept and image
my mind has ever known."
Hafiz
georgschiller

Postby Mira » Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:16 pm

Hi Georg,
I love all these quotes! Thank you so much for posting them. Especially the one by Ramakrishna about "being mad for the love of God". It's the only thing that makes sense to me anymore. Replacing one's outward desires with the desire for God. It's a sure bet since God is everything :D.

I thought I would post these videos by Swami Sarvpriyananda on Bhakti. I think you might enjoy them.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xDpop3pgREQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iyt3HCm0wvM
Mira

Return to General Discussion

Login

User Menu