Welcome Anonymous !

This forum is intended to give the members of the ShiningWorld community a place to meet and discuss Vedanta among themselves. We do not endorse any of the views or opinions expressed here--unless they are made by one of our endorsed teachers--so please take advice and / or teaching from another member of the forum at your own risk. If you feel you have a question that is not being adequately answered in this forum, please contact one of our endorsed teachers directly.

Board index General Discussion

General Discussion

Happy Diwali!

This is where to post topics that do not fall into any of the below chapters. please post there whenever possible. If you cannot decide where to post, post here and your topic may be moved to the appropriate chapter as deemed relevant.

Moderator: milarepa

Happy Diwali!

Postby Mira » Wed Nov 11, 2015 11:27 am

It is the Hindu festival of lights today commemorating the victory of Ram (i.e., self incarnated as a jiva) over Ravana (demon signifying ignorance, I imagine). Also, lamps are lit to symbolize light (knowledge) over darkness (ignorance).

So a very happy Diwali to all my fellow SW Vedantins. I wish you moksha :D.

P.S. Does anyone know the symbolism of 'Sita' in the Ramayana?

She was Ram's wife who was abducted by Ravana and then Ram rescues her and brings her back. But later he abandons her (which I've always found really odd). I wonder if Sita represents worldly desires. That is, with self-knowledge, worldly desires/attachments (vasanas) are rendered non-binding (or abandoned symbolically?). Not quite sure though, would love any insight.
Mira

Re: Happy Diwali!

Postby Vinay » Wed Nov 11, 2015 10:09 pm

Happy Diwali to everyone!

This article sheds some light on the Vedantic meaning of Ramayana.
http://www.advaita-vedanta.org/articles ... mayana.htm

Sita is considered to be an avatar of Goddess Lakshmi, and Ram an avatar of Vishnu. And according to this article, in Ramayana Ram stands for Atman and Sita for Maya.

There is also another connection to Vedanta. Sita's father was the enlightened King Janaka who was a disciple of sage Yajnavalkya and appears in the Brihadaranyaka Upanishad. And Ashtavakra Gita, a Vedantic text, is a dialogue between sage Ashtavakra and Janaka.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ashtavakra_Gita

It's very interesting when you study the various connections between the Upanishads and the epics like Mahabharata and Ramayana.
Vinay

Re: Happy Diwali!

Postby Mira » Thu Nov 12, 2015 4:25 pm

Thanks for that article, Vinay. It was a brilliant read. For those of us familiar with the Ramayana it was a delight to understand the Vedantic symbolism underlying the story. I especially loved the symbol of the monkey army for the monkey mind. Again, just a wonderful article. It made my day. Thanks again, Mira.

I can also recommend the article--Symbols of the Self---on the SW website for some more understanding regarding the symbolic interpretation of some of the Hindu gods.
Mira

Return to General Discussion

Login

User Menu