Welcome Anonymous !

This forum is intended to give the members of the ShiningWorld community a place to meet and discuss Vedanta among themselves. We do not endorse any of the views or opinions expressed here--unless they are made by one of our endorsed teachers--so please take advice and / or teaching from another member of the forum at your own risk. If you feel you have a question that is not being adequately answered in this forum, please contact one of our endorsed teachers directly.

Board index General Discussion

General Discussion

India - Travel Tips?

This is where to post topics that do not fall into any of the below chapters. please post there whenever possible. If you cannot decide where to post, post here and your topic may be moved to the appropriate chapter as deemed relevant.

Moderator: milarepa

India - Travel Tips?

Postby georgschiller » Thu Nov 26, 2015 10:06 pm

Hello everybody!

I have been considering travelling to India this winter. I would like to go to Tiruvannamalai and visit Ted Schmidt's Bhagavad Gita course. So far, I have not been to India yet. I have no experience of visiting India.

I was wondering if somebody in this forum has been to India, especially to Tiruvannamalai. Do you have any recommandations regarding
-where to say,
-what to bring with to India
-particular sattvic places to visit
-anything you think is helpful to make it a pleasant stay
-etc.

Thank you! :D
georgschiller

Re: India - Travel Tips?

Postby Vinay » Fri Nov 27, 2015 6:07 am

Hi georg,

If you are going to Tiruvannamalai then this map will be useful to you.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/7991131/Ashram%20Area%20Map.jpeg

On the middle-left of the map is a road called Perumbakkam road. Sunshine Guesthouse, where the Sastangs will be held, is a little further ahead on this road. The guesthouse does not show on the map.

I would recommend staying somewhere near Sathya Cafe (middle-left) as it is at a walkable distance from Sunshine Guesthouse. Or otherwise if you rent a bike you can stay near Ramana Ashram (top-center) as there are lot more options there.

~

From Tiruvannamalai you can also visit Pondicherry and Auroville. It is about 2-3 hrs distance from Tiruvannamalai by car.
http://www.lonelyplanet.com/india/tamil-nadu/puducherry-pondicherry
http://www.lonelyplanet.com/india/tamil-nadu/auroville

Many people go to Rishikesh from Tiruvannamalai. In Rishikesh you can visit the Dayananda Ashram and also many other ashrams. It is a city of ashrams. But since Rishikesh is in the north of India, it will be very cold in Jan-Feb.

~

Let me know if you need any more information.

Vinay
Vinay

Postby Mira » Sat Nov 28, 2015 11:47 am

Hi Georg,

How wonderful that you will get to see Ted. I hope you can make some videos of his teaching (if it's permitted, of course).

Vinay has given you some great tips. I've never been to Tiruvanmalai, so I can't help there. But I like Vinay's suggestion of traveling to Rishikesh, if you have the time. In addition to the ashrams there, the north of India is also very different culturally from the south (where Tiruvanmalai is located).

I would suggest reading the article on SW website on Symbols of the Self. James describes the underlying Vedantic symbolism of some of the main Hindu deities (e.g., Shiva, Krishna, Durga, Ganesh etc..). You will encounter these deities very commonly in the stores, streets, houses (pretty much everywhere) and it might be nice to enjoy the underlying vedantic aspects of them.

Similarly, if you are inclined towards Bhakti, I would suggest visiting some temples. Maybe not the ones that are tourist traps---but the local, neighbourhood temples. You could attend some bhajans (devotional singing), aarti (ritual puja) at the temples--I think it might be quite sattvic to do that.

It's really interesting how deeply Vedanta is steeped in the Indian culture. For example, just the other day I was listening to an old movie song about soldiers going to battle. I was struck by a line which says "please (Ishvara) give the courageous soldiers, self-knowledge (jnana)". It did not say bring them back alive, or don't let them die---but please give them self-knowledge. It just blew me away. I was so moved by that line.

India is just wonderful that way---but also crazy, chaotic and generally maddening, so be prepared for that part too :D. Hope you enjoy your time there.
Mira

Postby georgschiller » Sat Nov 28, 2015 11:19 pm

Thank you for all the tips!

I love the map, thank you Vinay!
Are you going to be there in January, Vinay?
Thank you also for the Rishikesh recommendation. I also heard it will soon be quite cold up there, although at the moment it is quite warm there.

Thank you Mira for the recommendation to find out more on the symbols! I had it on my list but totally forgot about it!
About the videos: I would love to capture Ted on camera. Unfortunately, I don't have a camera :) And I don't know Ted. I have never met him myself. I just got the recommendation from James to go and see him in the class!
georgschiller

Postby Vinay » Sun Nov 29, 2015 5:28 am

Yes Georg, I am also going to Tiru. I'll meet you there.
Vinay

Postby Stan » Mon Nov 30, 2015 1:41 am

Hi Georg,

It`s really exciting to hear that you are going to India to attend Ted`s Gita course !
Looks like you`re going to meet Vinay too ! I hope you let us all know how you got on and what your impressions were. I really enjoyed Vinu`s map and often wonder if one day I might make the journey...just to round everything off. I have a standing invite to Rishikesh so who knows ? I feel quite excited for you. I hope you have a great and fulfilling time Georg. :D
Stan

Postby DavidStoroy » Wed Dec 02, 2015 8:11 am

About Ted Schmidt in Tiru 2016 - will it be recorded on video so we could buy it afterwards?
DavidStoroy

Postby georgschiller » Thu Dec 03, 2015 1:08 pm

Hi David!

DavidStoroy wrote: About Ted Schmidt in Tiru 2016 - will it be recorded on video so we could buy it afterwards?

Good question! I have no idea. In case you find it out please let us know here in the forum!

Cheers
georgschiller

Postby Stan » Thu Dec 03, 2015 2:21 pm

Hi All,

I`ve just asked the question via email and as soon as I get an answer, i`ll post it here.
Thanks,

Stan.
Stan

Postby Stan » Fri Dec 04, 2015 11:42 am

Hi All,

Gita in Tiru will be recorded as normal .
Looking forward to the vids already !

Stan.
Stan

Postby DavidStoroy » Sat Dec 05, 2015 2:14 am

Great. I am also looking forward to buy the recording from Tiru 2016 with Ted Schmidt. I love his e-satsangs on Shiningworld and it would be interesting to see him on video as he will be talking about Bhagavad Gita.
DavidStoroy

Postby Mira » Sat Dec 05, 2015 10:55 am

YAY! I am looking forward to seeing Ted in action too :D.

I hope Georg and Vinay will have some cameos in the video recording ;).
Mira

Return to General Discussion

Login

User Menu