Welcome Anonymous !

This forum is intended to give the members of the ShiningWorld community a place to meet and discuss Vedanta among themselves. We do not endorse any of the views or opinions expressed here--unless they are made by one of our endorsed teachers--so please take advice and / or teaching from another member of the forum at your own risk. If you feel you have a question that is not being adequately answered in this forum, please contact one of our endorsed teachers directly.

Board index General Discussion

General Discussion

Gurukulam

This is where to post topics that do not fall into any of the below chapters. please post there whenever possible. If you cannot decide where to post, post here and your topic may be moved to the appropriate chapter as deemed relevant.

Moderator: Wayne

Re: Gurukulam

Postby Arlindo Nagar » Mon Sep 19, 2016 4:17 pm

Hi everyone. I also enjoyed reading all of your posts here. Thank you. I would like to mention something more in regards to the last sentences in the dialog.

“moksha (which I define as freedom from suffering) allows one to cope with and even enjoy life during tough times (i.e., when life is not simple). "

Moksha is freedom from the psychological suffering derived from not getting what one wants or not avoiding what one does not. Suffering is an intrinsic byproduct of those desires and fears we are involved with, and with a great deal of investment/expectation. Moreover, our biding desires and aversions are bound to produce suffering because one can’t always get what one wants, in fact it is very difficult to exactly get what one wants. The whole play seems to be Isvara’s set up to get Jiva a few moments of indirect bliss, followed by much anxiety, frustration and suffering.

“This is certainly true but I suppose moksha - knowing I am limitless, whole and complete awareness - is not absolutely necessary for that. I suppose simply having faith in God and/or a strong community is good enough to cope and enjoy life even when it is supposedly difficult.”

In order for Jiva to enjoy life when circumstances are painful, unfavorable or challenging, Jiva’s biding desires and fears must be neutralized by knowledge. Desires and fears are but the result of the ignorance of the nature of satya, as well of the nature of mithya. The knowledge of mithya/Isvara alone, will allow Jiva to establish a life style based on universal dharmic values, and as a result of such virtuous lifestyle, Jiva will enjoy punya karma. Having said so, karma/Dharma yoga will definitely produce a relatively happy life, but it will always be an indirect mean for happiness… always dependent on certain actions, lifestyle, God, etc.

The knowledge of Satya, on the other hand, is the knowledge of the self "as the self", which does not further depend on any action or discipline. It is direct and undependable on anything in mithya for its limitless nature. Provided my self-knowledge is complete, if I know that I am Satya it means to say that I know that I am the very source of all joy and happiness, and therefore I do not desire and fear anything in order to be fully content and satisfied. The button line is, Isvara-knowledge is very good, but Self-knowledge is the only true mean to moksha or freedom from suffering.
Arlindo Nagar

Previous

Return to General Discussion

Login

User Menu