Welcome Anonymous !

This forum is intended to give the members of the ShiningWorld community a place to meet and discuss Vedanta among themselves. We do not endorse any of the views or opinions expressed here--unless they are made by one of our endorsed teachers--so please take advice and / or teaching from another member of the forum at your own risk. If you feel you have a question that is not being adequately answered in this forum, please contact one of our endorsed teachers directly.

PERSONAL INTRODUCTIONS

Getting to know you better

This is the place to tell us something about yoursef, about your history and how you found Shiningworld and James (Ramji) Swartz.

Moderator: milarepa

Getting to know you better

Postby Mira » Sat Sep 09, 2017 6:55 pm

Hi SW community,
I thought it would be fun to do an ‘interview’ style post to get to know you better in our vyavaharika (transactional) reality. Please feel free to elaborate on any (and all) questions.

My motivation for this post is this: While I have a loving family and close friends, I don’t know of a single person who is actually interested in spirituality (let alone Vedanta!). Therefore, SW is my spiritual community and I would love to get to know you better! Thanks for playing :D.

-Where do you live? (Vague geographic location is fine).

-Are you single/married/kids?

-What age did you start seeking?

-What is your favorite spiritual text?

-How obsessed are you with Vedanta (scale 1-10; 1-have heard about it; 10-watch Ramji videos all the time).

-What is your favorite book/video/teaching of SW?

-Other than SW teachers, do you have any Vedanta teachers you enjoy? If so, whom?

-What was the most difficult aspect of Vedanta for you?

-What is your favorite aspect or teaching of Vedanta?

-What is your favorite symbol of the self?

-What is your favorite mahavakya?

-What is your favorite spiritual music?

-What are your hobbies?

Feel free to add any other questions.
Mira

Re: Getting to know you better

Postby Mira » Sat Sep 09, 2017 7:24 pm

I'll go first :D.

-Where do you live? (Vague geographic location is fine).
In the Rocky Mountain region of the US.

Married with one teenager :roll:.

Around age 15.

Bhagvad Gita. I love the symbolism of the battlefield setting. I love the relationship between Arjuna and Krisha (Friend, mentor, teacher). I love that it contains both self-knowledge and practical applications (karma yoga, raja yoga, bhakti etc).

-How obsessed are you with Vedanta (scale 1-10; 1-have heard about it; 10-watch Ramji videos all the time).
11! I am completely obsessed with Vedanta. Sometimes, I prefer reading spiritual texts and sometimes I prefer biographies or autobiographies or mahatmas. But I have not read any fiction since I discovered Vedanta!

-What is your favorite book/video/teaching of SW?
I love the Satsangs. Every question I have had has been answered there. Sometimes if I get confused about a topic, I do a search and voila! there is the answer :D.

-Other than SW teachers, do you have any Vedanta teachers you enjoy? If so, whom?
I really enjoy everything by Swami Sarvpriyananda these days.
Swami Paramarthananda is also an eternal favorite.

My answer is with regard to the creation theories:
I get the Sristi/Drishti. Ajati Vada makes the most sense since everything resolves to consciousness. Drishti Srishti makes intuitive sense, however, being scientifically minded I keep trying to analyse it and sometimes I can get caught up in trying to figure out the details. How exactly does this projection occur? The intellect wants to know :lol:.

The knowledge vs. experience teaching of Ramji. It clicked with me immediately and made me trust vedanta.

Baby Krishna. It was love at first sight :D.

What is your favorite mahavakya?
Aham Brahmasmi

Prahlad Singh Tipania singing Kabir's devotional songs about the nirguna brahman.

-What are your hobbies?
Trail running, hiking and anything that involves mountains, deserts or other kinds of nature.

Feel free to add any other questions :D.
Mira

Postby georgschiller » Mon Sep 18, 2017 1:46 pm

HI Mira,

I found your post on getting to know us better very beautiful and I immediately copied the text and filled it out :D

Where do you live? (Vague geographic location is fine).

A little village, surrounded by fields and forests, next to Bamberg, in Bavaria, Germany.

Single, no kids, not married :)

When I was 26 years old, in the summer of 2012 after a nightmarish vision of being grabbed in the dark by a huge hand (bigger than my whole body) which took my body and threw it down the Oregon cliff where I happened to camp for the night :)

Haha my favorite spiritual text is life :) That's cheesy I know :) But working with the mind and the body seem to be center stage right now.

Well, my favorite Vedanta texts are probably Atma Bodha and Atma Nirvriti.

I used to be obsessed about it, until it became harder to listen to Creation and Guna Theories. Now, I still listen to Ramji's and Swami Tattvavidananda's (Swami TV) talks on Bhakti :D

Swami Tattvavidananda, Ira Schepetin and Neema.

My interest in the Maya creation theory and the Gunas theory is very low. Mind you, I see the benefit in both theories and don't claim that there is anything wrong with them but I just can't find much interest in it.
I personally found being attached to both theories had detrimental impacts on my mind, it made me judgemental and argumentative.

Clarity, Directness, and the love for God!

Symbol? I don't know. Books of Direct Knowledge?
I guess my favourite symbol is the felt sense of the body!

but yes, Baby Krishna is also lovely! I also got a very beautiful Buddha statue and Ganesh, and Holy Mary statue :)

I like to listen to Latin Laudes, Vespers, etc. I am Catholic by birth and traditional Gregorian choir is a must! :D
I just googled Prahlad Singh, it is beautiful indeed too!

- What other spiritual paths and thinkers do you enjoy?

All kinds of spiritual paths, including Hafiz, Rumi, Rabindranath Tagore, Early Buddhism (Atthakavagga sutta) , Pyrrhonism (10 Modes of Pyrrhonism), Focusing by Gendlin, Nagarjuna, Dalai Lama, Ramakrishna, etc.

-What are your hobbies?

Meditation, watching out the window, enjoying simply being, cloud-gazing and jogging :D
Last edited by georgschiller on Thu Sep 28, 2017 6:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
georgschiller

Postby Mira » Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:25 pm

Thanks for playing, Georg :D. I'm happy you are a fellow jogger too :D. I think Vedanta and running go so well together. I usually have my major insights while I run.

I'm going to check out Swami T. Any particular videos you recommend?
Mira

Postby georgschiller » Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:12 am

Yes, check out the mp3 "Emotional stability through Bhakti Part 1" on his website:

http://www.avgsatsang.org/hhstvs/mp3/Em ... Bhakti.mp3

or here: http://www.avgsatsang.org/hhstvs.html

:D

PS: I forgot: What is your favorite mahavakya?

That would be: "I am not that, I am not this. I am indescribable [*fill in your favorite word, such as Brahman, Consciousness, Self, etc.]."
georgschiller

Return to PERSONAL INTRODUCTIONS

Login

User Menu