Welcome Anonymous !

This forum is intended to give the members of the ShiningWorld community a place to meet and discuss Vedanta among themselves. We do not endorse any of the views or opinions expressed here--unless they are made by one of our endorsed teachers--so please take advice and / or teaching from another member of the forum at your own risk. If you feel you have a question that is not being adequately answered in this forum, please contact one of our endorsed teachers directly.

CHAPTER IV: QUALIFICATIONS

Control of the senses

A Mature Human Being, 1. Discrimination, 2. Dispassion, 3. Control of the Mind, 4. Control of Senses, 5. Doing What Is Appropriate to Your Nature (Svadharma), The World Does Not Need Fixing, My Relative Nature, 6. Single-Pointedness, 7. Forbearance, 8. Devotion, 9. Faith , 10. Burning Desire for Freedom, A Qualified Teacher, Walk the Talk, The Grace of God.

Moderator: milarepa

Control of the senses

Postby Anna » Sat Feb 18, 2017 1:00 pm

Hi,

I don't know about others, but control of the senses is my biggest Vasana. I love the taste of sweets, diet Coke, using my vape device.

These are all in grain habits I've had for many years. So, although I know who I am, the habits remain. I can't seem to do them here and there (moderation) or abstain from them. Well, I haven't tried recently.

Doing them doesn't cause agitation, so hasn't prevented Self inquiry. However, if I couldn't do them it would.

So, what do you think? Should I just give them all up in one fell swoop and deal with it or what? In the past stopping one, seemed to increase the others, so that didn't work. Moderation doesn't work. I know it's vasana's, therefore mithya, but I don't want to give myself license to do something if I'm just kidding myself that they don't mattter.

Thanks for reading.

Anna
Anna

Re: Control of the senses

Postby Mira » Sat Feb 18, 2017 3:19 pm

Understanding your true nature, I find is actually the easy part (when unfolded systematically by Vedanta).

As you say, where the rubber meets the road is in minimizing vasanas, living dharma, and modifying one's lifestyle.

I would suggest upasana yoga. It will help with maintaining focus and providing the discipline needed to 'kick' these habits.

Karma yoga is, of course, helpful for any binding vasana.

Other (re-) qualifications to work might be:
Titiksha (endurance)
vairagya (dispassion)

And re-evaluate dharma too. Are you perhaps violating dharma towards your body?

And of course, bhakti (which is not additional to upasana yoga and karma yoga), but sometimes people don't appreciate the importance of devotion so I wanted to mention it.

And of course, triguna vibhagha yoga (since eating sweets and smoking will likely increase rajas).

All the best!
Mira

Postby Anna » Sat Feb 18, 2017 5:37 pm

Hi Mira,

Thanks for the reply. What is upasana yoga? Meditation? If it is, perhaps I should. My household is busy and noisy, so I may or may not, be able to do this. But I could try.

Karma yoga has not yet helped with my binding vasanas. I've emailed Ted about it, but still hasn't helped.

Other (re-) qualifications to work might be:
Titiksha (endurance)
vairagya (dispassion)

I became Self realized prior to coming to Vedanta, although Vedanta sealed the deal. What do you mean by "endurance"?

Are you perhaps violating dharma towards your body?

Yes, I'm sure, that is why I question what I'm doing.

I certainly need more Bhakti yoga, prior to Vedanta I had become convinced there was no God. Only because, I couldn't fit "God" into my non-dual world until Vedanta.

And of course, triguna vibhagha yoga (since eating sweets and smoking will likely increase rajas).

Hmm, you may have something there! Perhaps I'm naturally more tamasic (I'm a bit lower energy) and trying to unconsciously increase rajas? Sounds possible? Or am I barking up the wrong tree?
Anna

Postby georgschiller » Sun Feb 19, 2017 11:52 am

Hi Anna & Mira!

Meditation is what comes up to my mind as well:
1) Asking what is driving us to pursue our desires and aversions.
2) What is the reason to act?
3) Is there REALLY a reason to act?
or is it just a belief which drives us to act?
4) Can I let the sensation and thought - which drives us to act - let go?

As long as we are forced to act on our desires and aversions, then they are not in control.

When desires and aversions show up and acting is optional, then we are free of them and have them mastered.

What is your opinion on that?
georgschiller

Postby georgschiller » Sun Feb 19, 2017 12:53 pm

Hi Anna,

another way of looking at desires:
Are you the desire? or are you witnessing the desire?

If you are the desire, then you have to OBEY IT!
If you witness the desire, then you can just observe it and see it arise and disappear.
If desires arise and disappear then they cannot be trusted, in other words, we cannot tell if they are true or false, since they are impermanent and appear and disappear.

If however the desire is really binding, then we have the opportunity to really look at it and see what actually drives us to pursue it.
What is the "binding" part?
Is it possible that the binding part is just a learned condition? That we have learned to OBEY it?
If we stay with it, stay with the sensations, learn to love the sensations, see that the sensations are not inherently bad or good but actually neutral then we don't have to OBEY anymore. = FREEDOM

What do you think?
georgschiller

Postby Anna » Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:47 am

Hi Georg,

Nice and thoughtful posts. I do appreciate them.

As long as we are forced to act on our desires and aversions, then they are not in control.

Did you mean they ARE in control?

When desires and aversions show up and acting is optional, then we are free of them and have them mastered.

What is your opinion on that?

My opinion is that you are correct!

I think your second post is really insightful and I thank you for writing it. I don't have a comment on it right now, as I see I have work to do. Darn binding vasanas! Like Mira said, where the rubber meets the road!
Anna

Return to CHAPTER IV: QUALIFICATIONS

Login

User Menu