Welcome Anonymous !

This forum is intended to give the members of the ShiningWorld community a place to meet and discuss Vedanta among themselves. We do not endorse any of the views or opinions expressed here--unless they are made by one of our endorsed teachers--so please take advice and / or teaching from another member of the forum at your own risk. If you feel you have a question that is not being adequately answered in this forum, please contact one of our endorsed teachers directly.

Chapter V: Awareness, the Self.

Karma Yoga + Jnāna Yoga = Bhakti Yoga

I Am Not My Story, I Am Ordinary Awareness, The Most Obvious Thing, A Second Awareness, I Do Not Die , I Am a Partless Whole, I Am Not a Doer, I Am Not Unique in Any Way, No Need to Be Pure and Holy, I Don’t Change, I Can’t Become More Aware, I Reveal Myself to Myself, The Real and the Apparently Real.

Moderator: Wayne

Karma Yoga + Jnāna Yoga = Bhakti Yoga

Postby georgschiller » Mon Mar 19, 2018 2:12 pm

Hi everybody,

Sorry for posting too much by Swami P but I think this short summary of karma and jñāna yoga by Swami paramarthananda is great and very concise!

"And when a spiritual seeker travels from Karma Yoga to Jnāna Yoga, when a Karma Yogi becomes a Jnāna Yogi, his mindset is totally changed. A Karma Yoga mindset is transformed into Jnāna Yoga mindset, and we have been seeing this in the form of “Format Conversion”. This is loaded expression. Format Conversion is transition of Karma Yoga mindset to Jnāna Yoga mindset.

Proper Action + Proper Attitude = Karma Yōga.

The word RIDE is coined from the four principles:
‘R’ refers to reducing Adhārmic activities.
‘I’ refers to increasing Dhārmic activities.
‘D’ refers to dedicating all actions to the Lord.
‘E’ refers to experiencing everything as Prasāda.

A Karma Yogi has a world view which can be presented in a triangular format of Jīva, Jagat and Īshvara.
- Component 1 : This means I am an individual Jīva
- Component 2 : I look upon the world as Jagat which I confront in front of me, a world which gives me varieties of problems
- Component 3 : God is someone who is other than Jīva and Jagat, who is separate from and who is a creator. This is the world a Karma Yogi has.

And naturally a Karma Yogi looks upon Moksha as a future event which he intensely yearns for. He thinks that one day he will get Moksha and then all his sufferings will go away. He also thinks that Moksha will give him the freedom from the cycle of birth and death. Thus freedom from suffering and freedom from the cycle of birth and death, which has to happen in the future is the Moksha that a Karma Yogi looks forward to.

And when a person enters Karma Yoga, this triangular format is totally changed. A Jnāna Yoga has a world view which can be presented in a binary format of Ātmā and Anātmā. This means that I am not an individual Jīva but I am the consciousness principle. All those five features and five capsules should flash in our mind and I am the Ātmā of the above description – the knowledge which I have received through Jnāna Yoga training.

And once I practice to claim this fact, my attitude towards Moksha has to totally change. No more is Moksha a future event because I the consciousness am the illuminator of the sufferings of the body-mind-complex. But "I" the Ātmā myself do not have any sufferings in all the three periods of time. Therefore there is no question of freedom from sufferings. Therefore I remove that mindset consistently. Since I have practiced and developed these Vāsanā as a Karma Yogi. As a Jnāna Yogī, I eliminate that. There is no question of freedom from suffering because I the Ātmā do not have any sufferings to be free from. All the so-called pains and pleasures belong to the material body and world, the Anātmā, and I am the non-material Ātmā.

Thus claiming the Moksha as my Svarūpam is a new mindset. Also, as a Karma Yogi, I wanted freedom from the cycle of birth and death. And when I offer Namaskāra to the Lord or the Guru, I prayed for this all along. This is all fine as a Karma Yogi. As a Jnāna Yogi, I should never use the word, freedom from the cycle of birth and death because "I" the Ātmā, being of the nature of eternal and all pervading consciousness, I do not have the cycle. The cycles of Anātmā are going on inside of me. Therefore I am Nitya Muktaha, ever free from birth and death.

Practicing this kind of Nitya Muktatvam, is called the nourishment of the binary format. A Karma Yogi nourishes triangular format. And for a Jnāna Yogī, Moksha is freedom from triangular format and claiming that I am Nitya Muktaha.

And on the auspicious Guru Pūrnima day, we will pray to the entire Guru Paramparā, that according to our level, we should be able to go through the entire spiritual journey, come to binary format and claim that I am Nitya Muktaha. Whith these words we will conclude this Guru Pūrnima speech

http://talksofswamiparamarthananda.blog ... urney.html
georgschiller

Re: Karma Yoga + Jnāna Yoga = Bhakti Yoga

Postby Tom » Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:11 am

Thanks for this Georg. Really nice and concise. Also I didn’t know this website. Looks great :)
Tom

Return to Chapter V: Awareness, the Self.

Login

User Menu