Welcome Anonymous !

This forum is intended to give the members of the ShiningWorld community a place to meet and discuss Vedanta among themselves. We do not endorse any of the views or opinions expressed here--unless they are made by one of our endorsed teachers--so please take advice and / or teaching from another member of the forum at your own risk. If you feel you have a question that is not being adequately answered in this forum, please contact one of our endorsed teachers directly.

Chapter IX: Dharma Yoga.

Video teaching of Dharma Yoga by James.

Dharma yoga-aligning with Universal dharmas- Isvara first.
Samanya dharma-The universal values.
Visesha dharma-Interpreted values.
Guilt-Going against dharma.

Moderator: milarepa

Video teaching of Dharma Yoga by James.

Postby Stan » Thu Aug 25, 2016 6:08 am

Here is a video of James teaching Dharma Yoga in question and answer format. nearly two hours of satsang that elucidates chapter ix in the `Essence of Enlightenment` book.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KRUSR5zBAoc
Stan

Re: Video teaching of Dharma Yoga by James.

Postby Anja » Wed Oct 05, 2016 10:12 am

Stan wrote:Here is a video of James teaching Dharma Yoga in question and answer format. nearly two hours of satsang that elucidates chapter ix in the `Essence of Enlightenment` book.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KRUSR5zBAoc

I can see what James is up to in refering to "dharma-yoga". But in my understanding something like "dharma-yoga" does not exist. "Dharma-yoga" is what summs up the buddhist teachings, the eight-fold path. And I think that's why James is using that term. In (traditional) advaita-vedanta there is no such thing as dharma-yoga, because advaita-vedanta isn't about a particular dharma-path you can "yoke" with. It's about examining and enquiring into the nature of Self/self (Atman/jiva) properly and then realizing they are not seperated, not two.

It's not a "path". It's a knowing. And by knowing the path desolves into Self/self-realization. If "you are THAT" already, where is the path? What path?

What ever road is infront of you, that's the path. No yoga is needed to get to a particular road.

"That's all."

Edit: As James and I met in spring 2012 we talked about the path of buddhism also. And James wasn't a fan of buddhism, at least at that point in time. And I was too dump to argue. Nowerdays I think that buddhism, the eight-fold path, can indeed be beneficial for a seeker. I, personally, consider the Buddha as an iconoclast, who refused his (high-rank) position in life as a prince, applied his method of denial to deny his very own position in life, for the sake of seeking Truth instead. That is not what sissys do. That is heroic!

I highly value the Buddha as a destroyer of false idols, which I think is a quality of Shiva. So, the Buddha and his teachings aren't outside of (traditional) advaita-vedanta. I think that's why James, in his teachings, refers to them as dharma-yoga. But yoga is not advaita-vedanta. Yoga, what ever yoga one is doing, is the beginning of setting a foot on the dharma-path. And then, to speak in buddhist terms, one will enter the stream, stream-entry, when that is done sincerely and honestly.

By the way: The Buddha, Gautama the prince, was a Shiva incarnation, IMHO. And not, as some think, a Vishnu incarnation.
Anja

Return to Chapter IX: Dharma Yoga.

Login

User Menu