Welcome Anonymous !

This forum is intended to give the members of the ShiningWorld community a place to meet and discuss Vedanta among themselves. We do not endorse any of the views or opinions expressed here--unless they are made by one of our endorsed teachers--so please take advice and / or teaching from another member of the forum at your own risk. If you feel you have a question that is not being adequately answered in this forum, please contact one of our endorsed teachers directly.

Board index Chapter X: The Ropes

Chapter X: The Ropes

James`Three Energies Book And Video Clip From Regate Satsang

Direct and Indirect Cause, No Quarrel with Experience, The Flow, Stuckness and No Movement, Doership, The Assimilation of Experience, Rajas and the Assimilation of Experience, Tamas and the Assimilation of Experience, Upside to the Gunas, Sattva and the Assimilation of Experience, How the Ropes Bind, The Psychological Mechanism, Karma Is Unassimilated Experience, The Pain Body, How to Cultivate Sattva, Sattva plus Vedanta, Meditation , Respect Isvara

Moderator: milarepa

James`Three Energies Book And Video Clip From Regate Satsang

Postby Stan » Fri Mar 31, 2017 4:42 am

Hi Friends, I`ve heard that James` book on the three yogas will be out in hardback version in about two weeks time.
In the meantime, the download version is available in the shiningworld shop. there is a link for that below but first, here`s an excerpt from chapter 2.

Also posting below is a link to an excerpt of a video in James` Yoga of the three energies, Reigate 2016 video set...just to double the fun :-)

" What are the gunas ?

Life is an unbroken stream of daily situations dictated by our karma and the gunas create the states of mind with which we try to manage them.

Did you ever wonder why you are either (1) tired, fuzzy-minded, lazy, depressed and confused, (2) stressed, frustrated, disturbed, scattered, restless and unfocused or (3) happy for no reason, blissful, still, focused, dynamic and creative?
The answer: the gunas created these states. Did you ever wonder why you can feel quite lovely when you start the day but feel uncomfortably sad later, external factors remaining the same? Sometimes you feel quite agitated and a few minutes later you feel pleasantly high, external factors remaining the same.
The gunas are forces that make you think what you think and feel what you feel without asking your permission.

One of the rules for writing scripture is to explain the benefit or benefits of a particular teaching. I think I have covered the main point sufficiently but it bears repeating. If you manage your gunas, life will flow nicely and you will feel good about yourself. You may not get everything you want but you will be quite OK with what happens. Before we discuss the origin of this knowledge we need to make an important point: everything you do from dawn to dusk is guna management, you just don’t know that is what you are doing.

When you’re hungover in the morning and you guzzle a double expresso after a hard day’s night, you are managing a guna. When you kick back with a couple of beers and a cheezy pepperoni pizza after a hard day’s work you are managing a guna. When you turn on the TV you are trying to change your state of mind. When you get drunk or smoke some some dope you are managing your gunas. When you pay your insurance you are managing a guna. Sex is guna management. Everything we do is an attempt to improve our state of mind. Or to put it negatively; nothing we do is intended to create an uncomfortable state of mind.

So what is the problem? Why not just let things happen as they do and call it a day?
Because, things are not set up to make us feel good. If the doer knew what it was doing, it would not feel the need to change its state of mind. Wouldn’t it be nice if what happed really didn’t matter...but in a good way? If the doer could manage his energy properly he would basically enjoy a pleasant state of mind most of the time and would possess enough skill to prevent negative thoughts from becoming negative states of mind.

If the doer knew what it was doing, it would do the appropriate actions at the appropriate time and, assuming the field of life was in a good mood which it generally is, media’s carefully selected negative view to the contrary not withstanding, we would mostly have everything we want and would mostly be happy. But the doer isn’t in control of its feelings because it doesn’t understand them. Feelings recycle automatically according to the law of karma.
In an attempt to change them, the doer tries what didn’t work before, thinking that it will produce a different result the next time, a popular and eminently reasonable definition of insanity if ever there was one. If you are plagued by a negative mind, it may seem as if it isn’t your own doing, but it is, particularly if you are guna-educated and understand how karma works.
Please don’t try to wiggle out of this indictment with the spiritually fashionable claim that you are not the doer so what you feel doesn’t matter. It is always the doer that says it is not the doer and bad feelings always matter to it. Uttering the statement “I am not the doer” without a complete understanding of the nature of the guna field is simply denial.

The Origin of Guna Knowledge

Guna knowledge is based on careful observation and analysis of experience. Our states of mind are perceived objects known to us. From an analysis of their effects we can confidently determine their nature.
Samkhya, one of the six orthodox Vedic schools that developed several centuries before the Christian Era is the first to mention this knowledge. Because Vedanta has no quarrel with knowledge gained by observation and inferences drawn from experience, the gunas have become an important teaching. We find them mentioned in the Dharma Sastras and further developed in the Bhagavad Gita. In fact, the Bhagavad Gita, which is a scripture on dharma and liberation is organized on the guna model.

The first six chapters…as does the karmic portion of the Vedas…highlight karma yoga because the individual needs rajas to remove tamas. Chapters 7-12 highlight the importance of upasana yoga, which transforms excess rajas into sattva and precipitates gradual withdrawal from the world. The last six chapters highlight Jnana Yoga which requires predominant sattva and a simple lifestyle. To attain the fruit of moksa all yogas need to be practiced. The next stage is moksa, guna transcendence, because sattva guna transforms binding likes and dislikes into preferences, i.e. non-binding vasanas. Conversion of binding vasanas to non-binding vasanas is moksa, the transcendence of the gunas. All situations are acceptable to free people."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmR5mN77Vv8&feature=youtu.be

http://shiningworld.com/site/shop/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=173

http://shiningworld.com/site/shop/index.php?route=product/product&path=18&product_id=167
Stan

Re: James`Three Energies Book And Video Clip From Regate Sat

Postby Mira » Mon Apr 10, 2017 3:01 pm

Thanks, Stan. I look forward to seeing the videos. I am halfway through the e-book and I love it! The book describes clearly how the gunas subserve everything in creation. It's actually great fun to contemplate this. In fact, I found myself contemplating how the DNA molecule itself looks like a braid (possibly of the three gunas ;)). Anyway, my fanciful notions aside, I just want to highly recommend the book. Definitely my favorite of the Ramji collection.
Mira

Return to Chapter X: The Ropes

Login

User Menu