Welcome Anonymous !

This forum is intended to give the members of the ShiningWorld community a place to meet and discuss Vedanta among themselves. We do not endorse any of the views or opinions expressed here--unless they are made by one of our endorsed teachers--so please take advice and / or teaching from another member of the forum at your own risk. If you feel you have a question that is not being adequately answered in this forum, please contact one of our endorsed teachers directly.

Chapter XI: The Vision of Non-Duality: Knowledge Yoga.

Beyond Enlightenment

Relative Knowledge, Absolute Knowledge, Seeking Stops When the Knowledge Is Firm, Self-inquiry , The Real and the Apparently Real,Limitless Does Not Mean Big, It Is Ordinary Awareness, They Exist but They Are Not Real, Non-Duality Does Not Mean Sameness, The Key to Liberation: Understanding Awareness, Jiva and Isvara, Freedom from or Freedom for Jiva?, Limitless Bliss , The Five Sheaths, The Three StatesThe Waker, The Dreamer, The Sleeper, The Opposite Thought, The Three Gunas.

Moderator: milarepa

Re: Beyond Enlightenment

Postby Stan » Tue Mar 29, 2016 11:33 pm

@ Mira.

You and me both Mira . I`m very curious about Christian`s book too !
Stan

Postby Anja » Wed Oct 05, 2016 12:29 pm

georgschiller wrote:Hello everybody :)

I have recently heard the following quote by Shri Atmananda (Direct Path): "That finally there isn't even awareness". I wonder if Vedanta would agree with this sentence?

To say "I am awareness" is a great and wonderful teaching tool. There is no question about this. I just wonder how the sentence is understood "after enlightenment".
I mean, in the end the sentence is just a thought happening in me. And all thoughts are mythia. Are not real. So to say anything at all is basically mythia. Even to say "I am awareness" in the end is mythia. Whatever is mythia is not real and not me. Thus, there isn't even awareness.
Can you follow me? Is this correct?
Would Vedanta agree or disagree?

When I read the chapter "Beyond enlightenment" in James Swartz book "How to attain enlightenment" I basically see it approved:
"I cannot be objectified. [...] I am not describable, nor am I indescribable." (page 272)

What do you think? Would Vedanta (as a teaching) agree or disagree with Sri Atmananda sentence?

Since there is no such thing as "enlightenment", as Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj pointed out, "If you know that there is no such thing/experience as enlightenment, you're enlightended", there can not be an "after" enlightenment thingy, whatsoever.

And yes, I do agree with that "there is not even awareness". But that does not mean that awareness isn't some tool to bridge the gap. The gap that is perceived by the seeker as being seperated from Self/self. Which is known as not being the case when being Self/self-realized.

I'm not a fan of Sri Atmananda/Sri Krishnamenon and his teachings, applied by his work, called: Atmadarshan.

I think it's mere mental drivel. Only meant to be understood by the ones who have nothing else to do but think about such stuff for month, or even years in a row.

Horsesh!t, if you ask me. Meant to engage seekers in contemplating it, and while doing so, neglecting their actual dutys.

Just my opinion, of course.

:D

Edit: If you want to know more about what Atmadharshan is all about, ask Greg Goode. He's an expert in it.

:lol:
Anja

Postby Anja » Wed Oct 05, 2016 12:44 pm

And regarding Sri Atmananda/Sri Krishnamenon's work, Atmadarshan, you can ask Greg Goode, who is an expert in explaining this drivel, why he considers his time in the US-army as a part of doing seva (selfless service).

Since when is doing US-armee-duty considered as Self/self-less service? Serious question!
Anja

Previous

Return to Chapter XI: The Vision of Non-Duality: Knowledge Yoga.

Login

User Menu