Welcome Anonymous !

This forum is intended to give the members of the ShiningWorld community a place to meet and discuss Vedanta among themselves. We do not endorse any of the views or opinions expressed here--unless they are made by one of our endorsed teachers--so please take advice and / or teaching from another member of the forum at your own risk. If you feel you have a question that is not being adequately answered in this forum, please contact one of our endorsed teachers directly.

Chapter XI: The Vision of Non-Duality: Knowledge Yoga.

Thinking in incremental terms INSTEAD of Black and White

Relative Knowledge, Absolute Knowledge, Seeking Stops When the Knowledge Is Firm, Self-inquiry , The Real and the Apparently Real,Limitless Does Not Mean Big, It Is Ordinary Awareness, They Exist but They Are Not Real, Non-Duality Does Not Mean Sameness, The Key to Liberation: Understanding Awareness, Jiva and Isvara, Freedom from or Freedom for Jiva?, Limitless Bliss , The Five Sheaths, The Three StatesThe Waker, The Dreamer, The Sleeper, The Opposite Thought, The Three Gunas.

Moderator: milarepa

Thinking in incremental terms INSTEAD of Black and White

Postby georgschiller » Thu May 19, 2016 5:24 am

Hi everybody,

I noticed that during discussions online regarding Vedanta, sometimes two opposing parties discuss a very subtle topic without coming to a hold. This is mostly due to that neither party is interested in letting go of their precious beliefs and views.

I also noticed (mostly at facebook) how discussions turn into evil versus good, right versus wrong, etc.
By that I don't say that we cannot judge certain things as better than others but I like to question whether it makes sense to judge things by the label good versus evil.

To think in incremental terms, thinking in degrees can be an easy but far-reaching exercise to overcome the problem of absolutizations (right versus wrong, etc.).

"Can you think of ‘person’, ‘God’ or ‘nature’ as a matter of shades of grey rather than black and white? Incrementality means thinking in degrees of qualities rather than absolute things which are present or absent. If we are trying to judge from experience rather than dogma we need to try to think incrementally, and this can make our beliefs more adequate as well as overcoming entrenched conflicts." by Robert Michael Ellis
georgschiller

Re: Thinking in incremental terms INSTEAD of Black and White

Postby cheshirecat » Thu May 19, 2016 2:04 pm

(Intellect/suttle body speaking)
For me/awareness there can't be any black or white or increments.... Black or white or increments require thinking. And the only reason I think I'm thinking is because I think I'm gail..... Hence I can't have a black, white or increment problem; all I can have is an "I think I'm gail problem". Hope this makes sense. This is how I understand it at this phase of my journey to remember....
cheshirecat

Re: Thinking in incremental terms INSTEAD of Black and White

Postby georgschiller » Sat May 21, 2016 6:25 am

Hi Cheshirecat,

I think I understand what you are saying. The way of thinking in incremental terms is not necessarily helpful for Moksha.
It is rather for having a peaceful mind. Why?
Because the mind likes to categorize things into good, bad, black, white. This kind of way of thinking is quite tamasic and usually prone to confirmation bias and other logical fallacies (Chapter 6 of the "Essence of Enlightenment" talks about it as well).
This way of thinking is causing agitation and dumbness which both rather should be avoided. Sattva, a clear mind, is the goal. To understand how the mind works, can help reduce such tamasic and rajasic tendencies and fallacies. Incremental thinking can (tremendously) help with that

Yes, awareness is independent of thinking because thinking is a process which depends on awareness.
Or in other words, thinking always requires awareness to function but there are times when thinking does not happen but awareness still is!

"And the only reason I think I'm thinking is because I think I'm gail..... [...] all I can have is an "I think I'm gail problem"."

Well, you are right thinking is just happening. Thinking creates the separate person Gail. If thinking stops then there is just clear reflection of awareness in the subtle body. Once thinking continues Gail appears again in the form of thoughts.

In other words, Gail is you but you are not Gail. Gail always is in you, depends on you.
You , awareness, are never in gail as you can be without gail.
georgschiller

Return to Chapter XI: The Vision of Non-Duality: Knowledge Yoga.

Login

User Menu