Welcome Anonymous !

This forum is intended to give the members of the ShiningWorld community a place to meet and discuss Vedanta among themselves. We do not endorse any of the views or opinions expressed here--unless they are made by one of our endorsed teachers--so please take advice and / or teaching from another member of the forum at your own risk. If you feel you have a question that is not being adequately answered in this forum, please contact one of our endorsed teachers directly.

Chapter XI: The Vision of Non-Duality: Knowledge Yoga.

"Beyond Biocentrism" by Robert Lanza

Relative Knowledge, Absolute Knowledge, Seeking Stops When the Knowledge Is Firm, Self-inquiry , The Real and the Apparently Real,Limitless Does Not Mean Big, It Is Ordinary Awareness, They Exist but They Are Not Real, Non-Duality Does Not Mean Sameness, The Key to Liberation: Understanding Awareness, Jiva and Isvara, Freedom from or Freedom for Jiva?, Limitless Bliss , The Five Sheaths, The Three StatesThe Waker, The Dreamer, The Sleeper, The Opposite Thought, The Three Gunas.

Moderator: milarepa

"Beyond Biocentrism" by Robert Lanza

Postby Jiva-John » Sat Jul 09, 2016 1:27 pm

Permit me to share a selection from scientist, Robert Lanza's new book, "Beyond Biocentrism: Rethinking Time, Space, Consciousness, and the Illusion of Death". His first book was intriguing and this one certainly doesn't disappoint as he continues to advocate for a new (but oddly, familiar) life-based paradigm. What I like about Lanza is that he doesn't just advocate a "new" perspective on life, but calls bullshit on some of society's most conventional and longly held scientific beliefs. He also does a good job of proving the point there's no there "out there". If any of you are still struggling with the idea that objects are not real (mithya) and that the world exists in you/is you, this book might be the one that finally pushes you over.

But, you may protest, aren’t there two worlds? The external “real” world, and then another, separate visual world inside your head? No, there is only one. Where the visual image is perceived is where it actually is. There is nothing outside of perception. How could there be? “People are so sure that they ‘look out’ at the world!” says Canadian physicist Roy Bishop, a senior editor of the Handbook of the Royal Astronomical Society, never ceasing to be amazed that most folks do not see the obvious. But the illusion of an external world comes from language. Everyone you meet participates in the same charade. It’s not malevolent, but useful, as when we say, “Please pass the salt over there.” What purpose would it serve to ask for that salt shaker “inside your head”? It is customary to allude to the world as existing outside of us. “All right,” you may say, a bit hesitantly now, “but if that window is within my skull, what about my fingertips that I’m holding up? Don’t they define the outer limits of my body?” No, they do not. Those fingers are also within your mind. They are the mind’s representation— in tactile form when you experience touch, and visually when you glance at your nails and consider trimming or biting them— and they, too, dwell within the mind. They are a representation of your body that itself exists within the mind. The window across the room, and the framed art on the wall, are no farther away than your fingers. They are all equally within the mind. Of course, we usually define distance as the seeming gap between our mind-bodies and, say, that mind-tree. Our mind-legs require effort and a long interval before we reach the tree that’s equally within the mind. So we call that a gap or space or distance, and that’s fine, it’s how we all express things— as how the mind’s body portrayal relates to the other objects in the mind. And, granted, it can take a while to get accustomed to thinking of that stroll as occurring strictly from one part of your mind to another. And that at no point is your mind’s representation of your body ever separate from anything else you observe in the world. Yet all this is true. Colors are created by us. The entire visual universe is located here, not out there. There is no such thing as “out there.” Now, if “that” is within myself, then in a very concrete sense, everything I see is “me.” I do not end, not even at the Moon and beyond— at least visually, and aurally, and perceptually.
Last edited by Jiva-John on Mon Jul 11, 2016 7:27 am, edited 3 times in total.
Jiva-John

Re: "Beyond Biocentrism" by Robert Lanza

Postby Mira » Sun Jul 10, 2016 11:04 am

Thanks, Jiva John.
It's very similar to the location of objects teaching in Vedanta (which is also intuitive to neuroscience).

I hope he goes the next step and asks "and where is the mind located?" ;).
Mira

Return to Chapter XI: The Vision of Non-Duality: Knowledge Yoga.

Login

User Menu