Welcome Anonymous !

This forum is intended to give the members of the ShiningWorld community a place to meet and discuss Vedanta among themselves. We do not endorse any of the views or opinions expressed here--unless they are made by one of our endorsed teachers--so please take advice and / or teaching from another member of the forum at your own risk. If you feel you have a question that is not being adequately answered in this forum, please contact one of our endorsed teachers directly.

Chapter XI: The Vision of Non-Duality: Knowledge Yoga.

Science and consciousness

Relative Knowledge, Absolute Knowledge, Seeking Stops When the Knowledge Is Firm, Self-inquiry , The Real and the Apparently Real,Limitless Does Not Mean Big, It Is Ordinary Awareness, They Exist but They Are Not Real, Non-Duality Does Not Mean Sameness, The Key to Liberation: Understanding Awareness, Jiva and Isvara, Freedom from or Freedom for Jiva?, Limitless Bliss , The Five Sheaths, The Three StatesThe Waker, The Dreamer, The Sleeper, The Opposite Thought, The Three Gunas.

Moderator: milarepa

Science and consciousness

Postby Welshtyke » Sun Jul 26, 2015 12:58 pm

Is it important that science gives credence to non duality.

https://en.m.wikiquote.org/wiki/Max_Planck

Max Planck comments that you cannot get behind consciousness and that matter is derived from it.
Welshtyke

Re: Science and consciousness

Postby Tom » Fri Jul 31, 2015 2:23 am

I think in time science will confirm non-duality. In fact you could probably say that it already has, its just not mainstream yet. But I don't reckon its a requirement.

At the end of the day science just observes things and deduces certain ideas from what is observed and measured. Thing is what is science measuring and observing? Can you ever observe anything outside of consciousness?
Tom

Postby Stan » Fri Jul 31, 2015 6:22 am

Is it important that science gives credence to non duality.

I rather doubt it Welshtyke, as Tom said, I think in time science will confirm non-duality. In fact you could probably say that it already has, its just not mainstream yet. "

What difference will it make ? This makes me think of one of those vids where James plays God in saying in a booming voice to the world.....`YOU ARE AWARENESS` !
Then what ? what is the use if nobody actually knows what it means.

Sundari did a great satsang about this very topic....very comprehensive.

http://www.shiningworld.com/site/satsang/index.php?r=site/sendPdf&id=990
Stan

Postby georgschiller » Fri Jul 31, 2015 9:47 am

I agree with Stan. It doesn't make a difference if science someday comes to the conclusion that we are living in an illusion and that everything is awareness. As long as people don't know what it means to be awareness or how to live as awareness, it doesn't make a difference. I mean quantum physics already explains - more or less - that this world is an illusion and that there is something like awareness illumining it. This is - more or less - common knowledge since the time of Max Planck but look at the past 100 years: There has been no change in how people live and societies organize...
Here is a nice article about holographic reality. It basically explains that reality is holographic = illusion
http://www.scienceandnonduality.com/the ... o-reality/
georgschiller

Postby Welshtyke » Sat Aug 01, 2015 1:34 am

I do not think as Tom says it is a requirement, but I think we'll administered science is a sound basis to keep challenging ones ideas and thinking.

Non duality should not be blind faith, but as we know a knowledge based science. To this end I consider non duality to be the best bet. This coupled with self knowledge and parallels drawn from modern science.

We can not get behind consciousness only see it in its reflected form.

The Fermilab Holometer experiment has gone quiet at the moment. I do not think they would have gone to huge expense if they did not believe they would find anything
Welshtyke

Return to Chapter XI: The Vision of Non-Duality: Knowledge Yoga.

Login

User Menu