Welcome Anonymous !

This forum is intended to give the members of the ShiningWorld community a place to meet and discuss Vedanta among themselves. We do not endorse any of the views or opinions expressed here--unless they are made by one of our endorsed teachers--so please take advice and / or teaching from another member of the forum at your own risk. If you feel you have a question that is not being adequately answered in this forum, please contact one of our endorsed teachers directly.

Chapter XII: Value of Values

-

Words as a Means of Knowledge, Values a Secondary Means for Self-knowledge, Universal Values – Samanya Dharma, Situational Ethics – Visesa Dharma, The Knower-Doer Split, A “Better Person”?, 1. Inquiry into Pride, Vanity, Conceit, Self-Glorification, 2. Pretension, Affectation, 3. Non-Injury, 4. Accommodation, Commodiousness, 5. Straightforwardness, Truthfulness, 6. Service to the Teacher, Steadiness, Constancy, Perseverance, Mastery of Mind, Dispassion Toward Sense Objects, Absence of Excessive Attachment to Loved Ones, Unswerving Non-Dual Devotion to God, Love of Solitude, Constant Practice of Self-knowledge, Restraint.

Moderator: milarepa

-

Postby Rick » Wed Oct 05, 2016 5:45 am

-
Last edited by Rick on Tue Oct 25, 2016 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rick

Re: Values

Postby Anja » Wed Oct 05, 2016 8:46 am

Rick wrote:Sorry, but I've never met a genuine person in my life who has not got an agenda - despite however they rationalize it. So they are being deceptive, even if they think they have something of value to offer :lol:

I know im splitting hairs now. Thanks again for taking time to reply, I actually don't sense any agenda here in your reply.

Out of interest, do you want to share who you think is making a mockery of people in the spiritual world? I bet this Nithyananda guy is on the list?

I (and I) surely have an agenda. That you can bet on. One part of my agenda is communicating what I (and I) consider as benefical for others, speaking from my own experience. Out of totally selfish reasons. It's just more fun to hang out with people who know who/what they are. That's when the party starts to get interesting, when Self/self-realized people speak their mind.

And who is "on the list" is my secret. They know "who is who and what is what" and that is all that is needed for them to know. That does not stop them from doing what they do, but they know they are known. Genuine, earnest and sincere seekers can not be fooled by BS'ers in the long run anyway. And that is what they know also.

"You can fool some people sometimes. But you can't fool all the people all the time." (Bob Marley)

Edit: I, personally, think that for example the Dalai Lama is not what he claims to be. He's not a "holy" men, not a Mahatma, a great (divine) soul. But I also think he is a "victim" of some sort, taking into consideration that he was indoctrinated from an early age on. That been said, even the Dalai Lama can be of benefit for some seekers who need his kind of ...äh... teaching to realize what/who is not IT. In that sense he also just does his job, having an agenda, just like everybody else. And if someone is into theocratic hierarchies and likes that kind of sampradaya the Dalai Lama is the head of, so may it be. I, personally, think he's a creep. But that's just my (non humble) opinion.
Anja

-

Postby Rick » Wed Oct 05, 2016 10:32 am

-
Last edited by Rick on Tue Oct 25, 2016 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rick

Postby Anja » Wed Oct 05, 2016 10:54 am

Rick wrote:Thanks! I knew you had an agenda, but something told me that I had to say you don't have an agenda straight after accusing you of having one, purely because I know you're crazy (as a human being) and that I would be breaking dharma if I left you with the feeling that I have the feeling that you have a agenda lol

Anyway, as it's just groundhog day here, and I have no control over it, I feel my highest calling is eating bread, cheese while getting fat and watching God destroy itself, again! :D

I've come to the end of my journey, and all I want is to just sit here and wait for nature to take its course.

Thanks, and blessings

Rick

:D

Party or no party? THAT is the question.

I say party.

"Cake or death?" (Eddie Izzard)

Fat Freddy's Drop Live Mixtape
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zEl0b-ox26s

That being said about the issue of having an agenda.

Edit: "When ever the divine dharma is in decline, I, myself, incarnate to restore it." (Krishna, in the Bhagavad-Gita...paraphrased...)
Anja

Postby Anja » Wed Oct 05, 2016 11:24 am

Apropo, "God destroying itself":

What advaita-vedanta can provide, is that the deitys it is based upon, who provided the "scriptures" of what is considered as advaita-vedanta, the Upanishads, are not sky-daddys and sky-mommys only. They are the only ones who come down here, time and time again, to prove their existence.

I wonder where Allah is right now. Or where JHWH is. Maybe Bob Dylan took on that task. :D

If your "God/god" does not show up here in Maya-land, then maybe your God/god does not exist anyway.
Anja

-

Postby Rick » Wed Oct 05, 2016 3:05 pm

-
Last edited by Rick on Tue Oct 25, 2016 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rick

Postby Anja » Fri Oct 07, 2016 8:10 am

Rick wrote:There's nothing to be gained by getting annoyed, is there? That is a realization. So I might as well just enjoy it.

The teaching puts you in a dark spot, then the same logic brings you out of it.

Samsara is a joke. :D

Really good mixtape btw. Thanks. Your kindness knows no bounds

If something or someone persists that annoys you, then that might be because it's meant to annoy you untill you know why that is, you being annoyed by something or someone.

What teaching puts you in a dark place? In my view the roman cathlic church is dealing in such teaching by declairing you a sinner, and then you can kneel in a confession-box to talk about it what is considered a sin for the sake of getting the priest something to do by giving you a bunch of words you can mumble. That is what I call creating a problem and then giving a (fake) solution for that problem. Traditional advaita-vedanta is not doing that.

And yes, samsara is a joke. But I would never admit that in a public place other than here, because for some samsara isn't a joke. For some, who live in an area where there is war, it's hell. And that certainly isn't a joke but a very unpleasant reality.

Glad you like the mix-tape. How empty life would be without the divine musicians.
Anja

Previous

Return to Chapter XII: Value of Values

Login

User Menu