Welcome Anonymous !

This forum is intended to give the members of the ShiningWorld community a place to meet and discuss Vedanta among themselves. We do not endorse any of the views or opinions expressed here--unless they are made by one of our endorsed teachers--so please take advice and / or teaching from another member of the forum at your own risk. If you feel you have a question that is not being adequately answered in this forum, please contact one of our endorsed teachers directly.

Board index Chapter XIII: Love.

Chapter XIII: Love.

What is nondual devotion for you?

How Is Consciousness Love?, Relationship Love Is Based on Duality, Who Is the Devotee? Conversion of Emotion into Devotion, Devotion with Qualities, Prayer Is Not Worship, Devotion Is Knowledge and Action, Devotion Is Free Will, Worship of Symbols, Worship of the Formless Self.

Moderator: Wayne

Postby georgschiller » Tue Sep 08, 2015 2:31 am

Hello everybody,

I thought it is time to have a first post in the the devotion/love :) section of this beautiful forum!
What is advaita (nondual) bhakti for you?
For me advaita bhakti is the constant reminder that whatever happens is Prasad. That everything is a message by God. And every message by God is a sign to remember that everything in this world has been given by God. Beautiful! There is nothing wrong going on because everything is God.
Plus, my true nature is awareness. I am the illuming factor for this world. And this world comes and goes but I go unchanged.

georgschiller

Re: What is nondual devotion for you?

Postby Vinay » Wed Sep 09, 2015 6:37 am

Hi georg,

Just wanted to know. Have you seen the Narada Bhakti Sutras which was recently uploaded to Shining World?

http://www.shiningworld.com/site/files/ ... 8-7-15.pdf

It's an excellent text on Advaita Bhakti and Bhakti in general. I hadn't even heard of the term Advaita Bhakti before I read the text. Bhakti wasn't a topic of much interest to me before, but this has become one of my favourite texts.

Vinay
Vinay

Postby marek » Wed Sep 09, 2015 6:45 am

Hi Georg,

Very beautiful what you wrote and it is of course true. Somehow this story came into my mind.. ;)

There once was a wise saint who lived in an ashram. He had several devotees who studied under him. Every day, he would teach them things about God and world."Guruji, where is God?" asked a devotee one day. "Everywhere, my son," said Guru. "Everywhere?" asked the devotee, puzzled. "Yes, everywhere. In everything you see. And inside everyone too," replied the Guru. oh god!The devotee pondered over it for a while. That evening, he was still thinking about it while returning home. "I wonder what the Guruji meant by all that," he thought. "How can God be everywhere?"

As the devotee was walking, he suddenly saw an elephant rushing down the road. There was a mahout on the elephant yelling out for everyone to move away. "The elephant has gone mad! Please get out of the way!" Initially, the devotee was scared but then he thought to himself, "Guruji has told me that God is everywhere. That means He is in that elephant. And God is in me as well." The devotee came to the conclusion, "God cannot attack God! So, the elephant will not attack me. I have nothing to fear." Even as the elephant charged towards him, the devotee stood in his place, confident. "He won't harm me," he thought with a smile. The mahout yelled several warnings to the devotee, but he didn't budge. "Move you foolish man! He will trample you! You will be crushed to death!"

Coming at a fast pace, the elephant reached the devotee. Mad with fury, the animal wrapped its trunk around him and picked him up. The devotee shrieked with fear and disbelief. Even as he thought, "This cannot be happening!" the elephant flung him aside in anger.

Fortunately, the foolish devotee landed on a haystack and was unhurt. As he lay there in shock and relief, his Guru and friends came running towards him. "What happened? Why did you stand there? asked the Guru. "Guruji," said the trembling devotee, "You told me God was in everything and in everyone. If God was in the elephant, why did he fling me aside like that?"

The Guru smiled. "Yes, God is in the elephant. But God is also in the mahout who kept warning you to move. Why did you not listen to him?" The devotee had no answer.
marek

Postby Mira » Wed Sep 09, 2015 11:57 am

Hi Georg,

Good topic! I had also never heard of the term advaita bhakti--but I am also really enjoying the Narada Bhakti Sutra PDF posted by Vinay. The writer has a great sense of humor and it's really well written.

I also see everything as given by/to Ishvara (Karma yoga). Gratitude for everything (including the mundane and banal) is a great mind purifier, I find. But ultimately, self-knowledge and moksha is the best form of bhakti.
Mira

Postby Anja » Wed Oct 05, 2016 2:07 pm

georgschiller wrote:Hello everybody,

I thought it is time to have a first post in the the devotion/love :) section of this beautiful forum!
What is advaita (nondual) bhakti for you?
For me advaita bhakti is the constant reminder that whatever happens is Prasad. That everything is a message by God. And every message by God is a sign to remember that everything in this world has been given by God. Beautiful! There is nothing wrong going on because everything is God.
Plus, my true nature is awareness. I am the illuming factor for this world. And this world comes and goes but I go unchanged.

For me, "nondual devotion" does not exist. It's bogus. Devotion, as I deal with it, is about KNOWING the difference between what is false and what isn't false. And since, "there is nothing right in the wrong", aka mithya, there isn't anything right in what is considered as wrong.

What is "wrong", then? Answer: Everything that doesn't contribute to making sentient beings happy/satisfied/self-sufficient. Which means that basically everything that isn't a hard tool we can apply, like being able to fix teeth, being able to build houses, being able to sew clothes, being able to grow fruits and vegetables...and so on, isn't a skill that is useful on the level of survival.

The construct we live in, the capitalistic mind-set, that puts us in a certain hierarchie in which the ones who have the most money/control of resources are the ones who are looked up to, are the ones who are admired for what they represent. But the ones who have the most control/money aren't the ones who have the best interest of all sentient beings in mind. They are the ones who have gained such control of resources by not caring, whatsoever, about others well-being. That is the only reason why they are in such position. And as long as we, the people (the jivas), think that is something to be valued, they can continue.

Edit: And yes, in the kali-yuga the voice of Krishna may sound as if Karl Marx is talking. But that's just because the kali-yuga's voices of Truth can't affort to not use any means they think as being beneficial. Why would anybody think that Karl Marx wasn't Self/self-realized in what he expressed? In my opinon he was one of the most dangerous men for the status-quo in the 19. century. And guess who drove his chariot.
Anja

Return to Chapter XIII: Love.

Login

User Menu