Welcome Anonymous !

This forum is intended to give the members of the ShiningWorld community a place to meet and discuss Vedanta among themselves. We do not endorse any of the views or opinions expressed here--unless they are made by one of our endorsed teachers--so please take advice and / or teaching from another member of the forum at your own risk. If you feel you have a question that is not being adequately answered in this forum, please contact one of our endorsed teachers directly.

Chapter XIV: The Enlightened Person

Enlightenment Sickness = Result of BELIEVING in being RIGHT?

Enlightenment Sickness, A Fallen Yogi, The Blades of a Fan, Self-Realization/Self-Actualization, The Self-Actualized Person.

Moderator: milarepa

Enlightenment Sickness = Result of BELIEVING in being RIGHT?

Postby georgschiller » Sat May 14, 2016 5:05 am

I have been wondering why enlightenment sickness in the spiritual world seems to be such a powerful force.

Of course, the most obvious reason for enlightenment sickness is the lack of association with enlightened people and the lack of being part of a powerful tradition.

Another reason appears to be our fear of being wrong. Apparently we have never learned to accept and embrace being wrong.
In case that we have never learned that being wrong is part of our life, that it is part of the Jiva-nature then the idea of enlightenment as something which puts us above all others can be the consequence.
If we admit that we can be wrong and that it is even liberating to admit being wrong then tendencies of feeling right and better - which basically defines enlightenment sickness - disappear.

https://www.ted.com/talks/kathryn_schulz_on_being_wrong?

In the video above Kathryn Schulz talks about being wrong and how liberating it is to admit being wrong.
She talks about how we get raised believing that we always need to be right. That being wrong is negative and at all costs being avoided. She talks about that being right basically leads to suffering, great mistakes and violence.
Maybe there is a connection to enlightenment sickness, who knows? :)

Here is a quote by her:
“A whole lot of us go through life assuming that we are basically right, basically all the time, about basically everything: about our political and intellectual convictions, our religious and moral beliefs, our assessment of other people, our memories, our grasp of facts. As absurd as it sounds when we stop to think about it, our steady state seems to be one of unconsciously assuming that we are very close to omniscient.”

Furthermore, this sense of being right, of being better can be perceived in how we look at enlightenment.
There are basically two different ways to look at enlightenment:

1) Enlightenment is finally to be achieved and afterwards everything is fine and nice ever after
2) Enlightenment is a goal, more in line with a process which we move towards by cleaning up our conditionings (more in line with Nydhidyasana)

Well, both ideas are limited and have their downsides.
However, I assume that enlightenment sickness mostly happens if we think about it as something to achieve. The problem then is we might stop cleaning up our likes and dislikes. We start thinking we are better and become arrogant.
georgschiller
 
Posts: 71
Joined: Mon May 18, 2015 12:38 pm
Location: Bamberg, Germany

Re: Enlightenment Sickness = Result of BELIEVING in being RI

Postby Mira » Sat May 14, 2016 10:59 am

Nice read, Georg. Thanks.

I do recall that after I finally 'got it', there was a week or so for this jiva of feeling really happy and pleased with herself.

I agree with you that full blown enlightenment sickness may depend on the company you keep. If you are really into the spiritual world and that is a major part of your identity--then there might be a risk of ES.

However, in my case, every day life is humbling and I think I have the opposite problem of ES!. No one around me (my family or friends or acquaintances) really cares about (or even know/think about) enlightenment. They are just good people going about their lives in an ordinary way. I talk with my kid sometimes to explain the big picture (Ishvara, jiva, atman) --especially before final exams when stress levels are high :lol:. So, when the world around you is caught up in their ordinary jiva lives, then ES is not really a concern.

Sometimes with friends I used to try to have mini spiritual conversations, but I could tell they were not really interested--and they were listening just to be nice. So now I don't even do that.

I sometimes wonder what it be like to have an actual conversation with a person who knows who they are---it would be enigmatic to say the least :lol:.

But I can imagine in spiritual communities--there might be a lot of ES going around. Maybe we need a vaccination against it (say a shot of Karma yoga ;)).
Mira
 
Posts: 159
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2015 3:54 pm

JIVA’S INADEQUACY & THE THREE TYPES OF ENLIGHTENMENT SICKNES

Postby Arlindo Nagar » Sun May 15, 2016 1:25 pm

INADEQUACY & ENLIGHTENMENT SICKNESS - How Enlightenment Sickness (ES) comes into play, and how to cure it?
Answer: In fact, there are three kinds of Enlightenment Sickness; Let’s call it type “A”, “B”, and “C”.
The type ‘A” is a delusional state of mind of a Jiva with a very deep inadequacy-vasana which manifests as a feeling of unworthiness, insufficiency and a disturbed mind (rajasic and tamasic). This ES usually develops as soon as Jiva gets in contact with the knowledge of Vedanta. You see, Vedanta can be very direct. It will affirm that Jivas are in truth the light of consciousness, and that they are already free!

Most seekers love to hear that, and they fall for the ego’s voice which says; you already know - you are enlightened - the search is over! The Jiva is very anxious to declare to himself and the world that he is enlightened. His/her deep sense of inadequacy may easily deceive her/his intellect and compromise discrimination. He wants to free himself from that uncomfortable sense of smallness and insufficiency and unconsciously she/he may take the shortcut, which will definitely not bring the desired result. This type of ES usually goes away as the Jiva stays with the Vedanta teachings/teacher doing his/her Shravana, Manana and Nididhyasana to develop certain qualities, among others; patience and perseverance together with a higher self-esteem.

The type “B” of ES which the most difficult to cure, is the result of a mind with a predominance of sattva guna, and with a strong vasana for spiritual experiences together with an equally strong vasana for appreciation and validation due to his/her deep sense of inadequacy. Her/his sattvic mind becomes more interested in the mystical experience of “enlightenment” it produces, and loses the focus of his/her final goal which is, to get the direct knowledge; I am the ever-free awareness.

This is very common in the spiritual world among the gurus and Yogis. They develop a dualistic understanding that enlightenment is “experiencing the self”. But since the Self cannot be experienced due to its non-dual nature (no subject-object), all they experience is an idea of the self, represented by certain experiences. They usually have big egos because they feel very special since they believe to experience things (subtle objects such as epiphanies) that samsaric people do not experience. Scriptures may refer to them as: “stuck in sattva”.

The type “C” of ES, which was the one I have experienced for a sort time is the result of a direct self-knowledge to produce the certainty; I am pure Consciousness/Awareness. Self-knowledge is the greatest purifier, but it often leaves behind a residual vasana of inadequacy among others (food and sex also at the top of list). Jiva’s inadequacy-vasana is most responsible for ES as it sometimes builds the strength to press the Jivamukta to forget or betray his/her self-knowledge and go about trying to impress others with his new insights.

This sickness, signifies that the self-knowledge still needs to be reinforced thru constant application of scriptural knowledge until it becomes firm and solid to neutralize those remaining energies which from time to time may compel the newly-born Jivamukta to seek; fame, power, recognition, appreciation, love, sex etc. This type of ES is not something the Jivamukta should be concerned. It is like catching a cold, it will easily go after some time.
Arlindo Nagar
Last edited by Arlindo Nagar on Sun May 15, 2016 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Arlindo Nagar
 
Posts: 13
Joined: Sat May 14, 2016 11:14 am

Re: Enlightenment Sickness = Result of BELIEVING in being RI

Postby Stan » Sun May 15, 2016 2:03 pm

Hi Arlindo,

What a great first post that is....welcome to the forum !

Your post...more of a satsang really has triggered a few thoughts i`d like to explore with you. As it is, it`s pretty late here now and my wife has called to me saying it`s time to stop playing with my imaginary virtual friends on the internet :D

Looking forward to hearing more from you Arlindo.

Stan.
User avatar
Stan
 
Posts: 96
Joined: Mon Apr 20, 2015 11:15 am
Location: Lincolnshire, U.K.

Re: Enlightenment Sickness = Result of BELIEVING in being RI

Postby Arlindo Nagar » Sun May 15, 2016 2:09 pm

Thank you very much Stan. It will be a great pleasure to explore some thoughts with you. Love, Nagar
Arlindo Nagar
 
Posts: 13
Joined: Sat May 14, 2016 11:14 am

Re: Enlightenment Sickness = Result of BELIEVING in being RI

Postby Mira » Sun May 15, 2016 2:46 pm

I would like to also add my welcome! Thank you for this brilliant post.

Arlindo Nagar wrote: Jiva’s inadequacy-vasana is most responsible for ES as it sometimes builds the strength to press the Jivamukta to forget or betray his/her self-knowledge and go about trying to impress others with his new insights.

I had this Type C ES. For a while I was so keen to explain to my friends about the meaning of life! Luckily no one was interested and so it went away.



Arlindo Nagar Wrote: This sickness, signifies that the self-knowledge still needs to be reinforced thru constant application of scriptural knowledge until it becomes firm and solid to neutralize those remaining energies which from time to time may compel the newly-born Jivamukta to seek; fame, power, recognition, appreciation, love, sex etc.


I really like how you have tied ES to the basic sense of inadequacy of the Jiva.
I also love the term "newly born Jivan Mukta". Like a newborn bird, the newly-born jivan-mukta needs some time to properly learn how to fly by working on those vasanas through constant application of the teachings.
I find that the previously deep-rooted sense of inadequacy is being replaced by a sense of quiet self-confidence (from the knowledge) and trust (due to bhakti and karma yoga) as the knots of the vasanas start to loosen.

Thanks again for a great essay.
Mira
 
Posts: 159
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2015 3:54 pm

Re: Enlightenment Sickness = Result of BELIEVING in being RI

Postby Stan » Mon May 16, 2016 12:48 am

I thought that I should mention that Arlindo is one of shiningworld`s endorsed teachers.

Here is the link to his Bio page.....

http://www.shiningworld.com/site/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&layout=edit&id=114

Thanks again for your participation Arlindo. :-)
User avatar
Stan
 
Posts: 96
Joined: Mon Apr 20, 2015 11:15 am
Location: Lincolnshire, U.K.

Re: Enlightenment Sickness = Result of BELIEVING in being RI

Postby Arlindo Nagar » Mon May 16, 2016 2:02 pm

Thank you Mira for your warm welcome and appreciation & your good humor. :) Love
Arlindo Nagar
 
Posts: 13
Joined: Sat May 14, 2016 11:14 am

Re: Enlightenment Sickness = Result of BELIEVING in being RI

Postby Stan » Tue May 17, 2016 3:41 am

Hi Arlindo,

I just wanted to share some thoughts having read your pretty comprehensive post and those of Mira and Georg.

The first thing to strike me was...what a strange `problem` to be talking about. then what exactly is it ? why does it exist at all ? More to the point, is it an inevitable condition en route to the final stage of moksha. Total satisfaction, to be precise. The last `stage` of so called enlightenment, which is the `fruit` of enlightenment.

INADEQUACY & ENLIGHTENMENT SICKNESS - How Enlightenment Sickness (ES) comes into play, and how to cure it?


You straight away bring up the topic of "Inadequacy" and this certainly seems to be the key underlying cause to E.S and in fact any sickness brought about by ignorance.
Like a good doctor, you made your diagnosis and came up with the three main `types` of E.S. After this you proceeded with the "cure" for these ailments.

In each of the three types of ES, you brought in the term Inadequacy. This must surely be correct because, what is inadequacy ? It is our old friend Ignorance. The belief that I am incomplete, small, and limited. `lowly as a little worm` as ramji so often said !
If we knew .....without doubt, that we are whole and complete, could we `catch` ES ?
Surely not but, there is all the difference in the world between knowing who you are which is the fifth stage of enlightenment and the seventh and last stage...the fruit of enlightenment...Perfect Satisfaction ! Just knowing who we are isn`t moksha.
In between comes the sixth stage which is The Disappearance of the Doer.
I suspect that it is here where most of the ES problems occur, regardless of how many types there may be.

Once the knowledge is firm, one sees everything from the point of view of awareness first, and jiva as second and never confuses the two again. This is discriminating the self, you ( satya), from the objects that appear in you ( mithya) at all times, regardless of how the person is feeling . Self-actualisation is the consistent, application of self-knowledge to one’s life.
Unless self-knowledge translates fully into the life of the person it cannot be said that self actualisation has taken place, because the person will still be identified with certain aspects of being a person.

If this is so, the ego can survive moksha ....Ignorance being what it is. There seems to be a `tipping point` or grey area where the Doer gets FULLY negated and knowledge becomes firm, from Ignorance...the mind under the spell of duality.
Whilst in this `grey area`, we are neither `fully enlightened` nor fully ignorant so we must have by default some of the symptoms of ES . How can it be otherwise ?

Vedanta is totally counter-intuitive for the ego, conditioned as it is by duality. Ignorance by definition is a mind under the spell of duality. And, duality does not disappear when we know what it is. So ES is only a real problem if we don`t know that we have it.

I think it is something quite normal and to be expected and looked out for from the start. Not something to feel guilty about and made to feel a failure over. that is just another game played by the ego. we will all have our variant of ES. I believe it is possibly the last subtle hurdle before moksha. a rite of purification in fact and something to be embraced positivelly as a sadhana. ultimatelly, what has it got to do with us ?

I`m perfectly happy to own up to ES within me. It`s my constant companion whose other name is `eternal vigilance`. See how perfect I am ? Ha ha ........
User avatar
Stan
 
Posts: 96
Joined: Mon Apr 20, 2015 11:15 am
Location: Lincolnshire, U.K.

Re: Enlightenment Sickness = Result of BELIEVING in being RI

Postby Arlindo Nagar » Tue May 17, 2016 12:38 pm

Hi Stan, your analyses are correct. All suffering experienced by Jivas is the effect of the ignorance of Jiva’s true identity as Awareness. It is that simple! At the core of all human suffering we find this sense of limitation which is not natural to the Self we really are. But the apparent Jiva, being a product of ignorance is indeed; limited, small, incomplete etc.

Unconsciously we Jivas (the Self in its secondary apparent nature) goes about searching for things/experiences that may restore that natural sense of limitlessness which is inherent to Jiva’s true Self, which is Awareness or Jiva’s primary/fundamental nature. This is the amazing play of Maya. It projects this apparent reality where; the world, the Jiva and Awareness are “experienced” simultaneously. No wonder the subtlety in discriminating or seeing thru the overlapping of these three layers (orders of reality) of the one single reality we call; Awareness, the invariable factor in which the other two variable factors; the subjective Jiva and the objective world of objects arise.

As a result, the poor Jiva as if sandwiched and not having a clear view of the nature of reality, finds himself lost, confused, and off course limited by time and space. This core sense of limitation gives rise to all kinds of psychological dysfunctions. All emotional-mental dysfunctions are rooted in the causal body as an extremely subtle thought which in the conscious mind translates as; “there is something wrong with me”. This unconscious thought of being confined within limits, in its repercussions produces the more or less conscious thought of inadequacy. You are absolutely right when you say that every Jiva suffers on different degrees this sense of inadequacy, this is an integral aspect of Jivahood.

As far the Jivamukta and how and why he may still experience inadequacy and Enlightenment Sickness, there is so much we can say and I will be happy to explore those thoughts with you another day. But I may say now that what distinguishes the Jivamukta from the Jiva is the fact that the Jivamukta knows his sense of inadequacy - as you said, he does not need to hide or suppress it… and because he holds a firm conviction that he is none of his vasanas, none of “his” thoughts, no matter how subtle or intimate they may be, he is not affected by them.

It’s also relevant to mention that, provided the Jivamukta is well educated on the scriptures and follows Dharma, that as he/she goes about living his/her ordinary life, those vasanas for experience as cover-up for one’s sense of inadequacy diminishes with time together with one’s very sense of inadequacy, which is but a by-product of Jiva’s sense of being confined within limits (identification with the body-mind complex). The degree of this remission will determine the degree of Jivamukta’s sense of limitlessness and purity of mind and heart, and limitlessness Self = freedom. Lovely talking to you Stan.
Arlindo Nagar
 
Posts: 13
Joined: Sat May 14, 2016 11:14 am

Re: Enlightenment Sickness = Result of BELIEVING in being RI

Postby Mira » Tue May 17, 2016 7:22 pm

Thanks, Stan and Arlindo for this wonderful conversation. It's such a treat to come home after a hard day at work and read your Vedantic insights.

Stan wrote: Surely not but, there is all the difference in the world between knowing who you are which is the fifth stage of enlightenment and the seventh and last stage...the fruit of enlightenment...Perfect Satisfaction ! Just knowing who we are isn`t moksha. In between comes the sixth stage which is The Disappearance of the Doer.

I find these stages interesting but I am not very familiar with them. Could you elaborate a bit more or attach a link. Thanks!

Arlindo wrote: As far the Jivamukta and how and why he may still experience inadequacy and Enlightenment Sickness, there is so much we can say and I will be happy to explore those thoughts with you another day.

When you have a chance, I would also enjoy hearing about how/why the Jivanmukta continues to experience inadequacy.

Arlindo wrote: those vasanas for experience as cover-up for one’s sense of inadequacy diminishes with time together with one’s very sense of inadequacy, which is but a by-product of Jiva’s sense of being confined within limits (identification with the body-mind complex). The degree of this remission will determine the degree of Jivamukta’s sense of limitlessness and purity of mind and heart, and limitlessness Self = freedom

This is so brilliantly stated.

Arlindo, I read your biography from the link Stan posted. It's quite the amazing spiritual journey you had! It reminded me of the story of Nachiketa from the Puranas.

Given that you have experience with the Osho movement, I thought I would ask whether you think that Osho had a case of ES? He seems to have been enlightened (at least some of his written works suggest that)--but he was quite a wild showman too--which might have stemmed from his basic inadequacies which remained even after jivanmukti.
Mira
 
Posts: 159
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2015 3:54 pm

Re: Enlightenment Sickness = Result of BELIEVING in being RI

Postby Stan » Wed May 18, 2016 7:14 am

Enlightenment and Enlightenment Sickness.

These are some excerpts from an interview with a person who did a serious fast and who woke up to his true nature. It is a beautiful description of enlightenment and how the ego tries to co-opt it.

" What exactly do you see when this ego death occurs?

What you see is how it was formed in the first place. How you were led to believe that this is who you are. How you came to misidentify yourself with it and how this conditioning and hypnosis took place over time. How your parents shaped it from the time you were about two and a half years old. By the way they spoke to you, mirrored you, loved you, disciplined you and told you who you were. How your interactions with your siblings and early childhood friends also shaped it.

How school indoctrinated you. How society and peer pressures shaped you by approving of certain types of behaviors, beliefs and disapproving of others. Understanding and seeing that much of what you think about yourself was imposed on you externally and drummed into you like a false mantra.

What else do you see about yourself by going through this process?

You see all the lies, the self-deception, the dishonest behavior, the falseness, the stupidity, and the sheer naked-ness of how unconscious you were; how absolutely vain you were. How manipulative and conniving and greedy and selfish you were.
You will see the falseness in your words and actions, the reasons and stimulus for your behavior.

You will see the hidden motivations; the ulterior motives that you could not admit to yourself were even there.
You will see the ugliness of this false person. You will see all the masks that you wear. You will see how you treat your boss or someone with money or fame differently from how you treat the garbage man or the postman. And how you are polite and respectful with one person and sharp and patronizing with another, no matter how subtle.

You will also see how you are filled with insatiable desires for sex, food, pleasure, comfort, stimulation, money, and mostly attention, recognition, approval, validation and acceptance.
You will see how you want to be unconditionally loved like a baby. To be pampered, stroked, cuddled, adored, worshiped and idolized.
You will see an unsuitable desire and need for wanting to fit in with others. Wanting to be part of the pack, the club, the group or society.

Wanting to belong to some clique or private organization. To be part of the “in crowd” The trendy elite.
This is what the ego craves and desires the most; to be recognized and to be acknowledged. The last thing it wants is to be ignored or be dismissed as if it didn’t even exist. It wants to stand out in any way possible, negatively or positively. Any kind of attention will do because it will feed on all of it including conflict, arguments, disagreements and war because it’s all fuel. It’s anything that will get others to notice it, sustain it and keep it alive.

Why can’t you just drop it? Get rid of it?

Because there is no one there to drop it. Trying to drop something that doesn’t exist is impossible and will have you spinning in circles chasing a phantom that doesn’t exist; except in your mind.

The way to see this is to know that you are the awareness; the consciousness that witnesses the mind. There is really nothing you have to do because it is already doing what it does. There is no one to do anything. The way to clear a puddle of murky water is to not mess with it or to stir it up, but to leave it alone, step back, observe it and let it clear up by itself. It works the same way with the mind.

The mind is like a wild beast; it is chaotic and uncontrollable and cannot be easily tamed.
Let it run its course and wear itself out, but do not engage it or ride it; otherwise you will be thrown off over and over again. Doing this is the insanity of it all; like going along for the roller coaster ride. Identifying with this roller coaster ride and believing this is you; the ups and downs, the disappointments, the satisfactions and the gains and losses. None of this is who you are because this can never be gained or lost, it was never Not there and it will always be there.

The self-identified mind is also cunning and subtle. It will even pretend to you that it has dropped itself. It will act as if it is now humble. It will put on another act; a false humility, which will reveal itself in self-deprecation. The way Hollywood actors do this when winning an Academy Award.

All it’s doing is hiding out; waiting for the first opportunity to rear its ugly head again.
A way to test this is if you are aware of being humble, you know the ego is there.
If you are aware of being charitable, you should know the ego is there. If one is aware of being holy, you should know the ego is there "

Here is the link for the full article ....

http://www.shiningworld.com/site/satsang/index.php?r=site/sendArticle&id=81
User avatar
Stan
 
Posts: 96
Joined: Mon Apr 20, 2015 11:15 am
Location: Lincolnshire, U.K.

Re: Enlightenment Sickness = Result of BELIEVING in being RI

Postby JamesRam » Wed May 18, 2016 8:25 pm

I was reading the ES discussion with interest and I found Arlindo's statement "...what distinguishes the Jivamukta from the Jiva is the fact that the Jivamukta knows his sense of inadequacy - as you said, he does not need to hide or suppress it… and because he holds a firm conviction that he is none of his vasanas, none of “his” thoughts, no matter how subtle or intimate they may be, he is not affected by them." very much to the point. In other words a jivanmukta is identified as awareness, not with his jiva. He sees the jiva and its thoughts as mithya and is unaffected by them. ES is a situation where a particular jiva...not the eternal jiva which is non-separate from awareness...feels the need to compensate for inadequacy. In other words it does not see inadequacy as mithya. A jivanmukta feels no such need because he knows the thought is mithya, not real.
JamesRam
Site Admin
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Sat Jun 20, 2015 7:41 am

Re: Enlightenment Sickness = Result of BELIEVING in being RI

Postby Stan » Sun May 22, 2016 1:00 pm

Hi Mira,

You said earlier .....

Stan wrote: Surely not but, there is all the difference in the world between knowing who you are which is the fifth stage of enlightenment and the seventh and last stage...the fruit of enlightenment...Perfect Satisfaction ! Just knowing who we are isn`t moksha. In between comes the sixth stage which is The Disappearance of the Doer.


Sorry I didn`t reply to you sooner Mira, things have been kind of busy. I tried to find the relevant link that you asked for a few times but failed. I knew it referred to one of Ramji`s teachings and found it in his first book. ie How to attain enlightenment. The page you want is p.58 ...Seven stages of enlightenment. I think that when you read it, it will make sense to you. I`ve copied the relevant section here....for your perfect satisfaction. :-)

" Within this general outline, seven stages can be delineated. Ignorance, Obscuration, superimposition,Indirect knowledge, the cessation of grief and, the rise of perfect satisfaction.
Ignorance of the self causes Obscuration and Superimposition. Obscuration is the self identified with the belief that there is no self and revealed by the fact that the individual persues happiness solely in the world of objects,even though the self itself is the actual source of happiness.
It is followed by identification with the body-mind, which results in the belief that the self is a Doer and Enjoyer that experiences pleasure and pain.

This is called Superimposition. At some point, it momentarilly experiences itself or hears of the self from scripture or an enlightened teacher.
This is the stage of Indirect Knowledge. It says "The Self Exists", not knowing that it is talking about itself.
Then, by means of discrimination born of inquiry, it realizes " I am the self".
This is Direct Knowledge. Direct knowledge cancels the Doer/Enjoyer Idea, reveals the self, and suffering stops.

It appears as the realization in the Intellect that the self is self evident.
Finally, the self realizes that it has accomplished everything that needs to be accomplished, and experiences Lasting Objectless Satisfaction".
User avatar
Stan
 
Posts: 96
Joined: Mon Apr 20, 2015 11:15 am
Location: Lincolnshire, U.K.

Re: Enlightenment Sickness = Result of BELIEVING in being RI

Postby Mira » Sun May 22, 2016 6:48 pm

Thanks, Stan. I really appreciate your effort in looking it up and copying it. I have HTAE by my bedside and look forward to reading the relevant section.

Initially I thought you had meant the stages that they talk about in Zen (Ox herding or whatever they are called). And as it turns out, just today I was thinking that mountains are mountains for me once again! After 6 years of only reading books on enlightenment and awakening--I finally read a fiction book and thoroughly enjoyed it. It felt so refreshing.

Of course, in a samsaric life one needs to be constantly vigilant, but it does feel good to do just regular stuff again. Sort of the opposite of ES! :D
Mira
 
Posts: 159
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2015 3:54 pm

Re: Enlightenment Sickness = Result of BELIEVING in being RI

Postby Anja » Wed Oct 05, 2016 1:29 pm

georgschiller wrote:I have been wondering why enlightenment sickness in the spiritual world seems to be such a powerful force.

Of course, the most obvious reason for enlightenment sickness is the lack of association with enlightened people and the lack of being part of a powerful tradition.

Another reason appears to be our fear of being wrong. Apparently we have never learned to accept and embrace being wrong.
In case that we have never learned that being wrong is part of our life, that it is part of the Jiva-nature then the idea of enlightenment as something which puts us above all others can be the consequence.
If we admit that we can be wrong and that it is even liberating to admit being wrong then tendencies of feeling right and better - which basically defines enlightenment sickness - disappear.

https://www.ted.com/talks/kathryn_schulz_on_being_wrong?

In the video above Kathryn Schulz talks about being wrong and how liberating it is to admit being wrong.
She talks about how we get raised believing that we always need to be right. That being wrong is negative and at all costs being avoided. She talks about that being right basically leads to suffering, great mistakes and violence.
Maybe there is a connection to enlightenment sickness, who knows? :)

Here is a quote by her:
“A whole lot of us go through life assuming that we are basically right, basically all the time, about basically everything: about our political and intellectual convictions, our religious and moral beliefs, our assessment of other people, our memories, our grasp of facts. As absurd as it sounds when we stop to think about it, our steady state seems to be one of unconsciously assuming that we are very close to omniscient.”

Furthermore, this sense of being right, of being better can be perceived in how we look at enlightenment.
There are basically two different ways to look at enlightenment:

1) Enlightenment is finally to be achieved and afterwards everything is fine and nice ever after
2) Enlightenment is a goal, more in line with a process which we move towards by cleaning up our conditionings (more in line with Nydhidyasana)

Well, both ideas are limited and have their downsides.
However, I assume that enlightenment sickness mostly happens if we think about it as something to achieve. The problem then is we might stop cleaning up our likes and dislikes. We start thinking we are better and become arrogant.



Since there is no such thing/experience like enlightenment, there can't be such thing as "enlightenment sickness" unless one entertains the delusional idea/concept that one is enlightened. Then that is called "enlightenment sickness" which in my world is like being deluded on a whole new level.

:D

Edit:
"1) Enlightenment is finally to be achieved and afterwards everything is fine and nice ever after
2) Enlightenment is a goal, more in line with a process which we move towards by cleaning up our conditionings (more in line with Nydhidyasana)"

If one is interested in enlightenment for some time, it's like being a member of scientology. One has invested some serious amount of money into some concept, and that makes it hard to deny it. The longer the investment, the more one has put into a certain concept, the less one is willing and able to let it go, the less one is able to see through the deceiption. IOW, if you wanna be like Tom Cruise, and you have invested a serious amount of effort/money into a certain concept, then you most likey will demand a certain pay-off for your investment. What if there isn't one? What if you invested your time/effort/money into something that does not exist? That, then, is hard to acknowledge. Mere pretence becomes more important than Truth. That's the nature of the capitalistic mind-set.
Anja
 


Return to Chapter XIV: The Enlightened Person

cron

Login

User Menu