Welcome Anonymous !

This forum is intended to give the members of the ShiningWorld community a place to meet and discuss Vedanta among themselves. We do not endorse any of the views or opinions expressed here--unless they are made by one of our endorsed teachers--so please take advice and / or teaching from another member of the forum at your own risk. If you feel you have a question that is not being adequately answered in this forum, please contact one of our endorsed teachers directly.

VEDANTA TEACHERS AND Non Dual Teachings.

Thoughts on "The Direct Path"

This includes our endorsed teachers. Non dual quotations by other teachers which fit well with vedanta are encouraged here.
Postings by other non dual teachers which show no direct relevance to the teachings of Vedanta, may be removed.

Moderator: milarepa

Thoughts on "The Direct Path"

Postby georgschiller » Thu Dec 03, 2015 12:58 pm

Hi fellow Vedantins!

After listening to the topic of "Does consciousness know itself? and does it need the mind or anything else to be able to do so?"
by Rupert Spira (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4JCeJqjy14), I have noticed that the Direct Path does not mention the Gunas/Isvara/Maya etc. I found the Direct Path very interesting and very familiar to Vedanta.

I must admit that I hardly know anything about the Direct Path. I assume it has developed as a branch of Vedanta. I assume that in the development of the Direct Path it got rid of most Vedanta concepts. I assume it focuses solely on the direct experience of everyday 'objects' in order to realize that everything is simply an object in awareness.

I wonder how satisfying this approach is in the long run without the concepts of the Gunas/Isvara/Maya?

Is it even possible to fully assimilate the knowledge that "I am not the doer" without the Guna/Isvara/Maya teaching?

How is the student supposed to assimilate the knowledge that I am not the doer without the Guna teaching?

In my eyes, the Guna teaching is the most important teaching for the assimilation of the nondual teaching. Furthermore, I have not found this teaching anywhere else. Vedanta seems to be the only teaching with a description of the Gunas/Ishvara/Maya.

Is that correct?
Last edited by georgschiller on Tue Dec 15, 2015 9:17 am, edited 2 times in total.
georgschiller

Re: Thoughts on "The Direct Path"

Postby Mira » Sat Dec 05, 2015 11:31 am

Hi Georg,

Consciousness is self effulgent. It does not need a human mind 'know itself'.

I agree with you that if there is no knowledge of Ishavara or the Gunas then it is an incomplete teaching. I believe that this is the problem with most of the Neo-advaita teachings. They get 'consciousness' as the self---but they they think that consciouness is a volitional entity--doing this and that. Consciousness is not a doer. So without Ishavara or the gunas, there is no way to reconcile consciousness, jiva and the relationship between the two. Ishavara/gunas (or the cosmology of Vedanta) is an essential teaching.
Mira

Re: Thoughts on "The Direct Path"

Postby georgschiller » Thu Dec 10, 2015 6:56 am

Hi Mira,

yes I totally agree!

What I also found discouraging was the use of language by Rupert Spira and other direct path advocates. It appeared to me that they spoke mostly in an indirect way. Always saying that "all we experience is awareness". They don't speak from the position of direct knowledge: "everything simply appears in awareness"!

Of course, in order to say that everything simply appears in awareness requires the teaching of the Gunas/Isvara/Maya which they don't use because of whatever reason.

Thus, it is obvious that the "direct path" is part of experiental enlightenment and suffers from its limitations.

Nevertheless, many of the examples and little meditations offered by the Direct Path are really nice and entertaining. In general, a good contribution to the Vedanta teaching.
georgschiller

Return to VEDANTA TEACHERS AND Non Dual Teachings.

Login

User Menu