Welcome Anonymous !

This forum is intended to give the members of the ShiningWorld community a place to meet and discuss Vedanta among themselves. We do not endorse any of the views or opinions expressed here--unless they are made by one of our endorsed teachers--so please take advice and / or teaching from another member of the forum at your own risk. If you feel you have a question that is not being adequately answered in this forum, please contact one of our endorsed teachers directly.

Board index STUDY GROUP

STUDY GROUP

STUDY GROUP. Description & Aims.

Moderator: milarepa

STUDY GROUP. Description & Aims.

Postby Stan » Tue Nov 01, 2016 5:00 pm

The purpose of the study group lies in the application of the words and teachings of vedanta scripture to our lives.

The means for doing this is by having a communal study group that takes a book, sutra, upanishad, video teachings etc as an object of study over a period of time.

For a book such as James` `Essence of Enlightenment` or Ted Schmidt`s `Self Knowledge`, the anticipated study period is expected to last for about 1 year. One chapter per month.

The first study is of James` `Essence of Enlightenment` starting November 2016.

Other studies will follow on.

All are welcome to participate. old hands as well as newcomers to vedanta. It just has to be understood that this is a focused and serious study group. not serious as in formal, dry and lacking in humour and warmth but, it is expected that participants have studied each chapter before commenting or asking questions. This is a definite prerequisite !

To be clear, this is not in any way a therapy group where we can all `dump our stuff`. venting will not be allowed in the study group nor the forum in general. vedanta is purely objective as there is only the one self.

This study group encourages not only inquirers` questions but, also suggests that participants take turns in presenting and overseeing a month`s chapter study. It is hoped that this will be a regular feature of the study group. One should not be afraid of taking a perceived leading role as it will greatly sharpen the mind and much can be learnt about oneself by doing so. it tends to show up any lacking in clarity in one`s own mind and will provoke deeper inquiry.

One should also have the courage and humility to say... " I don`t know". If we were all totally doubt free, there would be no need for vedanta. What we "don`t know", we can help to uncover amongst ourselves.

To this end, it would also be helpful if we shared how the teachings have impacted on our daily lives so far. we can share not only our doubts but our insights also. There`s nothing wrong in saying what the benefits of self knowledge are ! That is wonderful and inspiring.

General pointers for participants, especially those new to vedanta...

Questions are encouraged BUT, it`s very important to stay `On Topic` ! there will be plenty of opportunities to examine any doubts later on in the studies. There is an order in the way vedanta is taught for it to work it`s magic, and we shall be keeping to it.

With questions, please encourage discussion and openness. Let people have plenty of time to answer if they wish without posting more quickfire questions. it makes discourse on the forum pretty unworkable. Don`t provide a list of all your answers with your question. you won`t be seen in a better light and it would make your question pointless, of course.

Listen to what is being said. what is the other person really saying ? you don`t have to answer straight away and you can tell the person that you would like to answer and will, when things have clarified a bit more for you.

If using sanskrit terms, unless they are very common, please add the english translation. There is a sanskrit glossary in the ` USEFUL LINKS` section of the forum and there is a link here ...

http://www.shiningworld.com/site/files/ ... ossary.pdf

Towards the end of each month, the person leading the study group will make a short summary, ask if there are further questions and make suggestions pertinent to going forward with the study.

It would be a good idea if at the begining and end of each of our studies, we offer up our minds, questions and answers, our participating friends as well as all people to Ishwara, in gratitude for the teaching that sets us free.
Stan

Re: STUDY GROUP. Description & Aims.

Postby milarepa » Thu Dec 29, 2016 7:09 am

Hi Stan,

Wow, this is a a great idea. I know that this is a recent topic, but has there been any progress on this venture?

You can count me in for sure..

Warmwest wishes

Wayne
milarepa

Postby Stan » Thu Dec 29, 2016 8:18 am

Hi Wayne,

Yes, we`ve started the study group. The first study group`s topic is James` Essence of Enlightenment` book.
We`re just concluding the study of chapter 1 ....`What do i want ? ` and will be moving on to chapter 2 next month ( jan `17 ).
If you click on the title of Chapter 1 in the forum, you will see the topic of `study group` amongs others. click on that and you`re in. very glad to have you with us and I look forward to your input :-)

AS you have extensive forum building, running and promoting knowledge, I have allocated you standard moderator rights for the moment. I hope I can learn from you as we go on as i`m no expert and am sometimes hard pressed for time to devote to the forum. Glad you`re here. :-)
Stan

Postby milarepa » Fri Jan 06, 2017 5:34 am

Stan wrote:Hi Wayne,

Yes, we`ve started the study group. The first study group`s topic is James` Essence of Enlightenment` book.
We`re just concluding the study of chapter 1 ....`What do i want ? ` and will be moving on to chapter 2 next month ( jan `17 ).
If you click on the title of Chapter 1 in the forum, you will see the topic of `study group` amongs others. click on that and you`re in. very glad to have you with us and I look forward to your input :-)

Stan, that is brilliant, I will go and check it out after I view the rest of the new posts on the forum.

Stan wrote:AS you have extensive forum building, running and promoting knowledge, I have allocated you standard moderator rights for the moment. I hope I can learn from you as we go on as i`m no expert and am sometimes hard pressed for time to devote to the forum. Glad you`re here. :-)

That is great Stan, happy to help in any way. Forum looks great to be honest!

Warmest wishes

Wayne
milarepa

Return to STUDY GROUP

Login

User Menu