Welcome Anonymous !

This forum is intended to give the members of the ShiningWorld community a place to meet and discuss Vedanta among themselves. We do not endorse any of the views or opinions expressed here--unless they are made by one of our endorsed teachers--so please take advice and / or teaching from another member of the forum at your own risk. If you feel you have a question that is not being adequately answered in this forum, please contact one of our endorsed teachers directly.

VEDANTA TEACHERS AND Non Dual Teachings.

Updates for Shiningworld Youtube-channel?

This includes our endorsed teachers. Non dual quotations by other teachers which fit well with vedanta are encouraged here.
Postings by other non dual teachers which show no direct relevance to the teachings of Vedanta, may be removed.

Moderator: milarepa

Updates for Shiningworld Youtube-channel?

Postby georgschiller » Sun Nov 15, 2015 5:22 am

Hello everybody,

I have recently updated the youtube channel of shiningworld. I created some German subtitles for a few videos and also uploaded some short videos of Panchadasi, India and Bhakti Sutra, Trout Lake.

I have been wondering if anybody has any ideas or requests concerning the youtube channel. I am happy of uploading new videos if there are specific requests!
georgschiller

Re: Updates for Shiningworld Youtube-channel?

Postby Stan » Sun Nov 22, 2015 7:39 am

Hi Georg,

It`s great to see your input for shiningworld....thanks for getting involved with the Youtube channel and vids. good to see you around ! :-)

I do have a request for some information of a video or better still, an excerpt, if it`s at all possible.

Quite some time ago, James had two vids available that dealt with the `direct path` as propounded by Sri Atmananda. One of the teachers/teachings that Greg Goode studied.
One was called `Atma Darshan`...which I have and the other is called `Atma Nirvriti` which I don`t have. They are no longer listed as being available for some reason.
Atma Darshan was really great and I missed Atma Nirvritti and would like to buy it if possible.
Could you check out if they could be made available again ? or worst way in the world, have some excerpts ?

I really enjoyed studying the direct path as taught by Atmananda and have all his writings. It is basically teaching for jnanis who are presumed to have the qualifications in place. It uses a fair bit of experiential writing so it is best to be clear on the way vedanta is taught so that one can `translate` it into the language of knowledge.
Here is a brief intro to Atma Darshan and Atma Nirvriti by Greg Goode.

ATMA DARSHAN is the more fundamental and poetic of the two works. It lays out the kernel of Shri Atmananda's unique method, which could be called the "outside-in" approach. Instead of expanding the individual so as to become universal, ATMA DARSHAN shows how the universal is always the sum and substance of the individual. Specifically, it shows quite clearly just how everything that seems to be outside oneself (i.e. world, body and mind) is actually inseparable from oneself as pure awareness.
ATMA NIRVRITI can be seen as answering questions that might have occurred to the reader of ATMA DARSHAN. Questions may arise such as how there can be seeing without a seer or indeed without an actual object that is seen, or how knowledge of your nature is different from everyday factual knowledge. ATMA NIRVRITI clarifies the issues in ATMA DARSHAN from different angles of vision, and in places from a higher level. In addition, ATMA NIRVRITI has three articles as appendices, "I," "Witness," and "World" which are extremely helpful in understanding how these concepts are regarded by this unique teaching.
It has been many years since Advaita Publishers last reprinted these two great works, which carry a copyright date of 1983. With available copies having gravitated into the rare and out-of-print book markets, I had created a PDF file of the combined edition of ATMA DARSHAN and ATMA NIRVRITI, which could be downloaded from this site. Recently, Advaita Publishers wrote informing me that the books are still under copyright. Out of respect for this legal issue as well as respect for the heirs of Sri Atmananda, I have removed the downloadable PDF file from this site. The publisher wishes me to make known that any copies that have been downloaded from this site are similarly in violation of Sri Atmananda's heirs' rights of copyright.
If you wish to obtain these books, you can try the rare and out-of-print market. AbeBooks.com and Amazon.com carry copies occasionally. But I am sure that you will join me in wishing that Advaita Publishers reprints these two classic works sometime soon.

More details from Greg here....

http://awakeningtoreality.blogspot.co.uk/2009/12/teachings-of-atmananda-and-direct-path.html

As I mentioned, I only have James` teaching on Atma Darshan and it is just great...as expected ! It has a really interesting questions and answers sction at the end too !
Having gone over all the usual vids many times, I thought this little series made a nice change to the usual topics.

Here`s hoping you can dig something up Georg. Best wishes to you.

Stan.
Stan

Postby georgschiller » Sun Nov 22, 2015 10:42 pm

Hi Stan,

yes, the the Atma Darshan and Atma Nirvritti are available. However, they are not listed in the shop. James had them available as USBs during his seminars in Germany this October.
Maybe it's best to contact those who's duty is to send the video links/usb sticks. In Germany Christian is doing that. I don't know about the UK though.

That's is all I can do now.
georgschiller

Postby Stan » Tue Nov 24, 2015 2:38 am

Thanks Georg,

I`ll contact Christian, as you suggest. Makes you wonder what other goodies are available but not showing on the site. I`m talking to James and Sundari soon so i`ll see what the deal is from them as well.

Thanks for checking this out.

Stan.
Stan

Postby georgschiller » Tue Nov 24, 2015 5:58 am

So far as I know that is the only video set which has been edited but not showing up on the shopping site. Actually now that I think about it, there might be some legal issues involved with the whole Atmananda resources. His family - or whoever has the copyright - does not permit sharing Atmananda's teaching. Something like that. That would explain it.

However, there are many more videos of James from the last few years which have not been edited yet and have not been made accessible. Maybe something can be done about them. However, that is not really necessary. There are hundreds, no, there are thousands of video hours already available on the shop...
georgschiller

Postby Stan » Wed Nov 25, 2015 10:59 am

Just came across this new youtube vid. It`s James being interviewed just recently on the `Buddha at the gas pump site`. It`s his second interview as he was last on about 6 years ago....time flies !
Rick Archer is a very sympathetic interviewer and there are loads of interesting `spiritual` interviewees that can be checked out. None of them beat our James Swartz in my view....of course.

Necessary or not, I just can`t get too many of James` videos. must be some kind of vasana Ha ha .... too much enjoyment i`m afraid.
Here it is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09N7rQWTyAg
Stan

Postby Mira » Wed Nov 25, 2015 3:44 pm

Thanks for this link, Stan. I enjoyed the interview. As you say, it's always a pleasure to see James in action. Given my life right now, it's easier for me to read satsangs than to have the time to watch a whole video (let alone an entire video series). So this was a rare treat indeed.
Mira

Postby Stan » Wed Nov 25, 2015 4:45 pm

Hi Mira,

Not sure what the difference between reading a satsang and pausing and marking a vid is BUT ....whatever works is best. or as my old zen teacher used to say... `The truth, The whole truth and anything else that works` Ha ha .....
Glad you liked the vid. :D
Stan

Postby Mira » Wed Nov 25, 2015 4:54 pm

The satsangs tend to be complete entities which can be read and digested in a short time, which is why I like them when time is a constraint. But I'll try the pausing technique and see how that works. I do enjoy James' voice and visage :D.
Mira

Postby Stan » Wed Nov 25, 2015 5:48 pm

Hi again Mira,

The satsangs tend to be complete entities which can be read and digested in a short time, which is why I like them when time is a constraint.

I know what you mean...I sneak them in when i`m short of time or before going to bed. I also have a real good go at a whole bunch of them when i`m in the mood OR, when a new batch appears. I just can`t resist it !

Here`s what I found when watching the vids in limited sections. After a while, a theme or train of inquiry would be followed and as it`s not a short theme, it would slowly `embed` itself in the back of my mind. This theme would be slowly `cooked` on the `back burner` of my mind and leave the mind in a subtle frame of inquiry throughout the day.
A quick jab on a point say a minute before where one last left off and....presto, one is instantly fully back to the inquiry in hand. I found it helped to build and maintain a constant attitude of inquiry. It`s how it was for me earlier on and I still that now. It prolongs the enjoyment. :D
Stan

Postby Mira » Thu Nov 26, 2015 6:59 am

Thanks, Stan. I'll try the vids.
Mira

Postby georgschiller » Sat Nov 28, 2015 7:36 am

Hi Stan,

I happen to also like "Buddha at the gas pump". I find it a great resource and it also happenend to be the site on which I found out about James Swartz and eventually Vedanta.

I was wondering which interviews you also found interesting. So far as I know, James is the only one who represents Vedanta among the 300+ interviews.

Can you propose some interviews which you recommend?

Thanks! :D
georgschiller

Postby Andrew » Sat Nov 28, 2015 9:40 am

I watched the new interview on Buddha at the gaspump though, I have yet to see the first one.

Late at night, after watching James, I scrolled through the list of other guests, the vast majority, I had never heard of. I think the guy who hosts the show does a good job and seems to be pretty clued in.

As for some of his guests however.....lol...(I watched a few clips of Teal Swan on youtube. She is an enlightened teacher/model/alien/reincarnation of the original Sai Baba....)

I am assuming she is not representative of the other 298 interviews. Perhaps it was a slow week? ; )

As such, I dont have any recommends. You will have to play roulette on that one. If you find some other good subjects, I would be interested to know.

Andrew
Andrew

Postby Mira » Sat Nov 28, 2015 11:55 am

As for some of his guests however.....lol...(I watched a few clips of Teal Swan on youtube. She is an enlightened teacher/model/alien/reincarnation of the original Sai Baba....)

Wow! Hilarious.

I've seen a couple of interviews on Batgap a few years ago. I like the interviewer but the interviewees that I saw were quite Neo-advaita (very experientially based).

There is another similar program called Conscious TV where James has a nice interview too. If you google it you get the utube link to James' interview there.
Mira

Postby Richard » Sat Nov 28, 2015 4:19 pm

Re: Atma Darshan and Atma Nirvritti

Greg Goode, in an interview in one of his Buddha at the Gas interviews, said that he was forced to remove his commentaries on Atma Darshan and Atma Nirvritti from his website due to copyright infringement. Very unfortunate!

By the way, I highly recommend Goode's interviews.
Richard

Postby Stan » Mon Nov 30, 2015 1:21 am

Hi Georg,

Sorry i`ve not managed to get back to you sooner and answer your question....

I was wondering which interviews you also found interesting. So far as I know, James is the only one who represents Vedanta among the 300+ interviews.
Can you propose some interviews which you recommend?

There are quite a few interesting interviews including those by Greg Goode. I can`t really say that I would be inclined to recommend any particular interviews as i`m a strictly vedanta as taught by James kind of guy.

I know this may sound a bit boring and possibly narrow minded even but i`ve investigated so many teachers, including excellent ones such as swami`s Dayananda and Paramarthananda, and I always end up back with James. It`s refreshing and instructive to get other angles on the teaching and I do to a degree. It`s just that for me, James always gets to the essence of things and teaches in an easily digestable manner suitable for western orientated students. He just plain makes it easier for me so I recommend what I think is the best.

Having said THAT, .... if I had to put forward one interview that is really worth watching, I would choose a particular one by Rupert Spira. link below.
The reason is that he is asked by Rik to follow a certain inquiry and he goes for it big time. He doesn`t make things easy for Rik nor lets him off the hook when he tries to wander off topic. He also doesn`t let him take any easy ways out. It`s a great example of Manana in action so yes, I`d say that this is definitelly one worth seeing !

The topic of inquiry is `Does consciousness know itself?` and does it need the mind or anything else to be able to do so.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4JCeJqjy14

More details on Rupert Spira....

http://www.scienceandnonduality.com/contributors/rupert-spira/

So, this is definitelly my choice of the moment. I hope folks enjoy it as much as I do. Thanks for your question Georg...you do pick some good ones ! :D
Stan

Postby georgschiller » Thu Dec 03, 2015 1:07 pm

Thanks Stan for the great recommendation!

I really enjoyed listening to Rupert Spira. He is very eloquent. I remember that I listened to him before I got to know James and Vedanta. At that time I didn't understand a word he was saying. However, now with a good foundation in Vedanta it's really enjoyable!

Do you have more such videos of him to recommend?

p.s. I also liked Greg Goode's interview. I wish there would be more videos of him online (I secretly wish there would be a dialogue between him and James Swartz based on his books on the direct path and emptiness teaching!). He apparently has a good understanding of different approaches to the non-dual reality.
georgschiller

Postby Mira » Sat Dec 05, 2015 10:59 am

Hey Georg,
One question: Given that Vedanta answers all questions---then why the interest in the direct path? I have no experience of it--but it does not seem as comprehensive as Vendata. So why the interest in a lesser path?--when you have access to the full enchalada :D.
Mira

Return to VEDANTA TEACHERS AND Non Dual Teachings.

Login

User Menu