Welcome Anonymous !

This forum is intended to give the members of the ShiningWorld community a place to meet and discuss Vedanta among themselves. We do not endorse any of the views or opinions expressed here--unless they are made by one of our endorsed teachers--so please take advice and / or teaching from another member of the forum at your own risk. If you feel you have a question that is not being adequately answered in this forum, please contact one of our endorsed teachers directly.

ANNOUNCEMENTS, NEWS & UPDATES.

Updates on Swami Dayananda

Moderator: milarepa

Updates on Swami Dayananda

Postby Vinay » Sat Sep 05, 2015 9:16 pm

I'll post any updates I receive on Swami Dayananda here..

An update posted yesterday from someone in Rishikesh on Facebook:

Since Tuesday Pujya Swamiji has not taken dialysis. Every day he is brought to the lecture hall for darshan. Yesterday Swamiji answered some questions but today he did not open his eyes. He did namaskar to gangaji . Medically all his parameters are fine

This is an email posted by someone from last Tuesday, before Swami Dayananda's last dialysis:

Dear Friends, Pujya Swamiji came to the lecture hall at 9 this AM (Tues). He knew the hospital truck (something like an ambulance) would come for him at 10:15. He spoke more strongly than yesterday, but he looked only marginally more alert - perhaps nervous about going to the treatment center again. He used Sanskrit a bit, talked of ahankara and sannyasa. Then he pointedly addressed the many (but significantly fewer than yesterday) sannyasis, saying that they should avoid making mistakes - suggesting problems of abhimana. Something had caught his attention since yesterday and he seemed to be making a point.

Then Swamiji used the story of the ten perfect sculptures produced by a certain sculptor (Pauranikas please correct me if I get it wrong). These sculptures were like selfies, perfect reproductions of the sculptor himself. This was a very talented artist with his curious and convincing creation. It seems that this sculptor had caught the attention of Lord Yama - the guy's time was up, and Lord Yama sent his dhutas with instructions to make sure the sculptor moved on.

The sculptor thought his creation would save him, hide him from his debt to Yama. The mrtyu devata's messengers came down and checked out the artist's work. Indeed they could not separate the exact replicas from the original. Confused, and having to enforce the absolute necessities of time, the messengers hurried back to their Lord and explained their dilemma. Yama would not truck with any delay, and he himself went to deliver the message to the sculptor. When he got here, Lord Yama saw the marvel that had been created - these were skillful, convincing replicas that showed the extreme talent of the artist. Who could tell which was a human and which a sculpture? To whom should Yama call.

Thoroughly impressed, Lord Yama could only marvel. But having seen a few generations of humans go by, he knew about men and their capacity for mistakes. Yama praised the perfection of the sculptures, their freedom from cracks or misplaced chiseling. He said, "Only a devata is capable of producing such beauty, no human could do such work, could create such heavenly art." The sculptor could not hold his tongue, "No, Sir, I have created these masterpieces. It was no devata, it was me. I made them all. They are beautiful, aren't they. These are my best work." Needless to say, that was all Lord Yama needed and (in Tamil) he said, "Come with me."

Then Swamiji spoke again a bit about sannyasis and mistakes and how a sculptor produces something that will affect the lives of those who own or keep or come in contact with the sculpture. Someone who takes on responsibility must be careful about mistakes, and Swamiji again emphasized mistakes of abhimana.
For ten minutes (after one of many minor coughing bouts) Swamiji changed the tone of satsang. He spoke in detail of the dialysis process. He is an expert now, saying, "I have been doing it for three and a half years."

Then he changed the tone again, his voice slow, labored, emotional, compelling. He said he was going to go for treatment (the ambulance had just pulled up and Swamiji has been informed). He said a number of things that indicated a final attempt, the possibility of not coming back. The crowd of devotees and friends and family and students fell more silent. There was no missing the warning that Swamiji's heart was saying more clearly than his words.

There was fear, acceptance, resignation, regret, pure love everywhere at the ashram. A pall fell over the hall as Swamiji wheeled to his room to be shifted to the gurney. He emerged from his room well attended, already looking unconscious, at least in some kind of sleep or retreat from the scene. Swamis Shuddhananda, Shantatmananda, Subashananda, Paratmananda, Swamini Brahmaprakasananda, brothers Srinivasan and Dharmarajan, Sheela, Gunanand, and all other principles gathered round. Many tears fell, prayers sent up, namah parvati pataye, hara hara mahadeva.

----------------------------------------------------------

I was also forwarded this but don’t know who wrote it. I think a swmini

Pujya Swamiji gave a Satsang this morning at 9 am before going to the dialysis treatment.

He talked about 'yena tyajasi tam tyaja' from Mahabharata. He explained that we need to give up the one who gives up everything else- dharma and adharma and svadharma, i.e., ahankara.
He said this is important for a sanyasi. [I think he would agree it's also important for a karma yogi.]

He told the story of a sculptor who was to die in 6 months. He decided to make 9 identical statues of himself and when yamdutas came to get him they couldn't identify him in time given. They went back empty handed to Yama raja, who had seen all types of tricks and decided to come himself. He inspected the 10 forms and said that they are so perfect; are they man-made or deva-made? He stood in the center of the theater and said: "What a srishti, no human can create this; surely, it's created by a devata. Which devata could make this? It's impossible. No human being could create this." The sculptor said: "I made this!" Yamaraja said, "Aaiye!"

Then Pujya Swamiji reminded that he's going for dialysis and this is the last treatment he had agreed to. Then it may be two to five days for nature to take its course. He said he had been on dialysis for three and a half years. First, he was on peritoneal dialysis which is given during each night. But it had to be stopped due to inflammation. Then he has been taking hemodialysis. He said both are natural possibilities. Enough is enough.

It is possible that there may be errors in my summary but I thought it's important to send this right away. If I can get a good recording I will send a better version.
Vinay

Re: Updates on Swami Dayananda

Postby Stan » Sun Sep 06, 2015 12:01 am

I had heard that Swamiji had put off his termination of dyalisis treatment until the prime minister of India had received his darshan. How current this situation is, I have no way of knowing.
Stan

Postby Vinay » Sun Sep 06, 2015 4:36 am

Yes Stan, you're right. When Swami Dayananda came back to Rishikesh last week from US, he had stopped taking in food. Then the Prime Minister called up, and some Hindu leaders and some people from his village. They told him to continue his treatment till they got a chance to have his darshan. He then agreed to 2 more sessions of dialysis.
Vinay

Postby Mira » Sun Sep 06, 2015 11:53 am

This is an update from Sept 2 posted on the yahoo group:
2nd Sept update: Pujya Swami ji had a brief class this morning, which opened with the Dayananda sisters, singing Shankarachaaryam. He then answered a few questions after which he said that he was tired and sleepy. Swami ji's brother Srinivasan talked to him earlier and said that Swamiji is okay, looking pretty good A portable hemodialysis unit is being installed in the room next to the temple. It is unclear if Swamiji will agree to use it - but it seems he will, considering the expense and effort involved as a cryptic statement last week from him had suggested it be set up. Although Swamiji did say before he went to the treatment in the ambulance that that (Tuesday) treatment would be his last, even the medical team suggests that stopping dialysis would be even more suffering. Swami Paramarthananda is conducting Vishnu Sahasranama chanting in the lecture hall. (Excertps from John Warne's update and conversations with others). Pujya Swami ji is due for dialysis on Friday. Please please pray that Isvara does what is best for our beloved Pujya Swamiji. Om.
Mira

Postby Vinay » Fri Sep 11, 2015 5:46 am

Another update..

Swami Dayananda's health has improved. I believe he has restarted his treatment.

This is a photo of the Prime Minister of India visiting him today (Sep 11).

http://imgur.com/McclTbO
Vinay

Postby Mira » Fri Sep 11, 2015 12:42 pm

Thanks, Vinay for this update.
Mira

Postby Vinay » Sun Sep 13, 2015 3:29 am

I thought I'll share this article written by one of Swami Dayananda's students:

http://tattvavidya.blogspot.in/2015/08/ ... -know.html

It gives a great insight into the life of Swami Dayananda.
Vinay

Postby Vinay » Wed Sep 23, 2015 10:50 am

Swami Dayananda Saraswati attained Maha Samadhi at Rishikesh on Sep 23, 2015 at 10.20 p.m. Here is a brief biography explaining the major events and achievements of his life:

http://arshaavinash.in/index.php/downlo ... shilingam/
Vinay

Postby Mira » Wed Sep 23, 2015 2:45 pm

Thank you, Vinay for letting us know. I look forward to reading the article.

Swamiji will be missed by so many around the world--but I hope his vision (and lineage) of spreading the teachings of Vedanta will continue. Mira
Mira

Postby Vinay » Fri Oct 09, 2015 10:28 am

I thought I'd share this audio talk given today by Swami Paramarthananda

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/799 ... 081015.mp3 (Right-Click and Save)

In this audio Swami Paramarthananda talks about his experience studying under Swami Dayananda in the 70's. In the end he breaks down a bit while talking about his guru. It's a very poignant moment.

And this is the Bhu-Samadhi ritual of Swami Dayananda:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRdtwqZwpi8

Swami Paramarthananda explains this ritual in the audio talk.
Vinay

Return to ANNOUNCEMENTS, NEWS & UPDATES.

Login

User Menu