Welcome Anonymous !

This forum is intended to give the members of the ShiningWorld community a place to meet and discuss Vedanta among themselves. We do not endorse any of the views or opinions expressed here--unless they are made by one of our endorsed teachers--so please take advice and / or teaching from another member of the forum at your own risk. If you feel you have a question that is not being adequately answered in this forum, please contact one of our endorsed teachers directly.

VEDANTA TEACHERS AND Non Dual Teachings.

Advaita, Dvaita and Visistdvaita

This includes our endorsed teachers. Non dual quotations by other teachers which fit well with vedanta are encouraged here.
Postings by other non dual teachers which show no direct relevance to the teachings of Vedanta, may be removed.

Moderator: milarepa

Advaita, Dvaita and Visistdvaita

Postby Mira » Sat Aug 08, 2015 1:52 pm

Hi,
I hope everyone is well.

I was wondering whether the differences between Advaita, Dvaita (duality) and Visistdvaita (qualified non-duality) are interesting to discuss. I don't know very much about the philosophies and rather than read random stuff from the internet, I thought I would ask here.

Would Dvaita simply be a preparatory form of worship, to consecrate the mind to surrender?

I guess I find it odd that Sanatana Dharma has place for both Dvaita and Advaita in it's interpretation.

Non duality makes perfect, logical sense to me, so I wonder how Dvaita (duality) has a place in Hindu scriptures as well? The Bhagvad Gita seems so clear about non-duality--but it might be that I have read only the non-dual focused interpretations and translations.

Many thanks for any input. Best wishes, Mira
Mira

Re: Advaita, Dvaita and Visistdvaita

Postby Mira » Sun Aug 09, 2015 2:11 pm

That there is a Dvaita (dualism) interpretation of the Bhagvad Gita, has always puzzled me. However, I came across this on a website devoted to the topic of Advaita, Daviata and Visistdvaita:
"Dualism (Dvaita), Qualified Monism (Visishtadvaita) and Monism (Advaita) are the three main schools of metaphysical thought. They are all stages on the way to the Ultimate Truth, viz., Para-Brahman (the Supreme Reality). They are rungs on the ladder of Yoga. They are not at all contradictory. On the contrary, they are complimentary to one another. These stages are harmoniously arranged in a graded series of spiritual experiences. Dualism, Qualified Monism, Pure Monism – all these culminate eventually in the Advaita Vedantic realisation of the Absolute or the Transcendental Trigunatita Ananta Brahman".

This seemed quite logical to me (except for where he says "spiritual experience". I would change that to 'spiritual practice').
Mira

Postby Vinay » Sun Aug 09, 2015 8:30 pm

As per my understanding Dvaita & Visistadvaita, both do not accept the world is Mithya, and take it to be real. These two interpretations also ignore the non-dual verses in the Vedas. For e.g. verses like "tat tvam asi", since they don't accept that Jiva Atma can be Brahman.

The quote you mentioned is also partly correct. Dvaita & Visistadvaita can be considered complimentary to Advaita, as a student can graduate from Dvaita to Visistadvaita and finally to Advaita.

However Advaita would never be acceptable to Dvaita & Visistadvaita.

Here's what Sw. Pramarthananda says on this topic:
http://www.slideshare.net/NairVinay/adv ... istadvaita

Vinay
Vinay

Postby Mira » Mon Aug 10, 2015 6:53 am

Hi Vinay,
Thanks for the article by Swami Paramarthananda. He addresses the issue in a respectful and logical way. Made total sense to me.
Many thanks, Mira.
Mira

Return to VEDANTA TEACHERS AND Non Dual Teachings.

Login

User Menu