Welcome Anonymous !

This forum is intended to give the members of the ShiningWorld community a place to meet and discuss Vedanta among themselves. We do not endorse any of the views or opinions expressed here--unless they are made by one of our endorsed teachers--so please take advice and / or teaching from another member of the forum at your own risk. If you feel you have a question that is not being adequately answered in this forum, please contact one of our endorsed teachers directly.

VEDANTA TEACHERS AND Non Dual Teachings.

Hanging out with James Swartz

This includes our endorsed teachers. Non dual quotations by other teachers which fit well with vedanta are encouraged here.
Postings by other non dual teachers which show no direct relevance to the teachings of Vedanta, may be removed.

Moderator: milarepa

Hanging out with James Swartz

Postby Anja » Fri Sep 30, 2016 11:07 am

Once I hung out with James Swartz in spring 2012 for a week. After I had some e-mail exchanges with him, in which I told him my story about my spiritual journey, he came to visit me in my hometown for a week.

Lately I wrote a little satire about that experience in which I portreyed him and me like...well...some freaks who are obsessed with advaita-vedanta, pretending to be normal. If anybody is interested in me posting this little text, I will do so. Otherwise I just like to say Hello!

What I can contribute here in this forum, I think, is my view on what I consider as being Self-realized. I'm not an expert in vedanta-teachings, whatsoever, but I read some texts and I also met the guy who is known for disregarding neo-advaita teachers and their particular brand of delivering spiritual disinformation. And I'm someone who pretty much blows into the same horn. But for the sake of entertainment only.

A few days after James left, after he gave me a lot of text material for my reading pleasure, I woke up in the middle of the night. A voice in my dream said to me, "don't study advaita-vedanta! You are advaita-vedanta already!" I found that strange, but I did not read any more texts. And then...yadda-yadda-yadda...I became a writer, obsessed with expressing the in-expressable.

Now, more than three years later, I think I have some stuff figured out, regarding what Self-knowledge is and what it is not. The questions that lead to that "knowledge" are: What Self? Which Self am I refering to when I consider myself as being the Self?

Like Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj once said (paraphrased), "in order to know yourself you need to know what/who you are not."

My question for the members of this forum is: Is Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj's message/teaching considered as being in line with James Swartz (Ramji's) teachings? And if not, why not?

I'm looking forward to an interesting and meaningfull conversation with all here, who also like to discuss and contemplate (traditional) advaita-vedanta.
Anja

Re: Hanging out with James Swartz

Postby Stan » Fri Sep 30, 2016 12:55 pm

Hi Anja,

A big welcome to the forum to you. It`s great to have you with us. :D

I think it`s going to be fun discussing the points you raised in your posts. I tend to agree with your attitude. regarding Osho, I think you`ll find that the previous posts about him are pretty unanimous in their view about him. I think Arlindo in particular got him nailed.

Nisargadatta`s quite a different prospect altogether. i`m about to switch down now as it`s getting late here but, I look forward to seeing some replies to your posts.

I like your references to Miles Davis and jerry garcia, by the way. Why do all the interesting people never live around my parts ? Ha ha.. Thank God for the internet. I used to be a hippy long ago and am quite a music lover. still got my geetars !

Looking forward to hearing more from you Anja. talk soon. :D
Stan

Postby Anja » Fri Sep 30, 2016 1:32 pm

Stan wrote:Hi Anja,

A big welcome to the forum to you. It`s great to have you with us. :D

I think it`s going to be fun discussing the points you raised in your posts. I tend to agree with your attitude. regarding Osho, I think you`ll find that the previous posts about him are pretty unanimous in their view about him. I think Arlindo in particular got him nailed.

Nisargadatta`s quite a different prospect altogether. i`m about to switch down now as it`s getting late here but, I look forward to seeing some replies to your posts.

I like your references to Miles Davis and jerry garcia, by the way. Why do all the interesting people never live around my parts ? Ha ha.. Thank God for the internet. I used to be a hippy long ago and am quite a music lover. still got my geetars !

Looking forward to hearing more from you Anja. talk soon. :D

Hey Stan!

Thanks for wellcomming me so warmly.

Here is some new-school tune for yah:

Fat Freddy's Drop - Blackbird :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gXSt2q1pfXM

:D
Anja

Postby Anja » Wed Oct 05, 2016 12:54 pm

I now feel the need to appologize for being such an opinionated jerk, who can't hold it, when asked about "who is who and what is what". I just blow it all out.

Dr. John - Such a Night
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SCRrXZP8b0I

:D

Edit: Although I have no daddy-issues, whatsover, because my father was the best father one could possibly wish for, but died too early, I consider James as my spiritual father. Me, being his daughter, he accepting me as being more ...äh...well...direct-path kinda sorta.

He, James, told me all the usual stuff as I still was a mere devotee, and on top of it he told me that we are the kings of advaita-vedanta. I thought, at the time in 2012, it was pretty presumptious. But nowerdays, on my way to getting fat also, I think, "hmmm...maybe there was something to it."

Edit, part II: As I picked James up at the Hamburg-airport I thought, "he's not a real guru." And then a few days later he asked me, "do you have a blanket, Anja?" And I said, "you slept with no blanket for two days, James? The blanket is rolled up over there in your bed, dude." And he said, "well, I'm like a dog. I thought I maybe don't deserve to have a blanket here."

What a lovely idiot!
Anja

Return to VEDANTA TEACHERS AND Non Dual Teachings.

Login

User Menu