Welcome Anonymous !

This forum is intended to give the members of the ShiningWorld community a place to meet and discuss Vedanta among themselves. We do not endorse any of the views or opinions expressed here--unless they are made by one of our endorsed teachers--so please take advice and / or teaching from another member of the forum at your own risk. If you feel you have a question that is not being adequately answered in this forum, please contact one of our endorsed teachers directly.

Board index General Discussion

General Discussion

16 Personality Types

This is where to post topics that do not fall into any of the below chapters. please post there whenever possible. If you cannot decide where to post, post here and your topic may be moved to the appropriate chapter as deemed relevant.

Moderator: milarepa

16 Personality Types

Postby Ian W. » Fri Sep 30, 2016 3:07 pm

Hello,

I seem to remember James mentioning that there were 16 basic personality types. I can't remember what talk I heard that from.

Does anyone know about this? I guess this is from the Vedas.

Thank you.
Ian W.
 
Posts: 16
Joined: Mon Jul 25, 2016 5:02 am

Re: 16 Personality Types

Postby Andrew » Sat Oct 01, 2016 11:42 am

Anja wrote:
Ian W. wrote:Hello,

I seem to remember James mentioning that there were 16 basic personality types. I can't remember what talk I heard that from.

Does anyone know about this? I guess this is from the Vedas.

Thank you.


There aren't 16 or more or less personality types. There are only two types: You either continue to be a sucker after the age of 20 or you don't.

And the only rule in life is: Don't be a d!ck (or a mere dump chick).


Hi Ian,

I dont think I have heard this particular talk. Perhaps James was talking about the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator Test? That gets into 16 personality types.

Andrew
Andrew
 
Posts: 41
Joined: Mon May 18, 2015 10:50 am

Re: 16 Personality Types

Postby Ian W. » Sat Oct 01, 2016 9:21 pm

Thanks Andrew. I'm almost certain that it was a vedic thing. Maybe I'm wrong though.
Ian W.
 
Posts: 16
Joined: Mon Jul 25, 2016 5:02 am

Re: 16 Personality Types

Postby Andrew » Sun Oct 02, 2016 4:41 am

Ian,

I found this article:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3830173/

It is from an Indian psychiatric journal and covers personality types from a traditional perspective. Maybe this was more of what you were looking for?

Andrew
Andrew
 
Posts: 41
Joined: Mon May 18, 2015 10:50 am

Re: 16 Personality Types

Postby Anja » Sun Oct 02, 2016 5:49 am

Andrew wrote:
Anja wrote:
Ian W. wrote:Hello,

I seem to remember James mentioning that there were 16 basic personality types. I can't remember what talk I heard that from.

Does anyone know about this? I guess this is from the Vedas.

Thank you.


There aren't 16 or more or less personality types. There are only two types: You either continue to be a sucker after the age of 20 or you don't.

And the only rule in life is: Don't be a d!ck (or a mere dump chick).


Hi Ian,

I dont think I have heard this particular talk. Perhaps James was talking about the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator Test? That gets into 16 personality types.

Andrew


Maybe it can be benefical to listen or read storys about the deitys and their characteristics. Shiva and Parvarti, Brahma and Sarasvarti, Vishnu and Lakshmi, Ganesha, Kartikeya, Durga, Kali, Krishna and Radha, Rama and Sita, Indra, Varuna...etc.

I did that. And James, as he visited me, was once "complaining" by saying, "you only want to hear storys about the deitys. Why don't you wanna hear more about the advaita-vedanta teachings?"

:D
Anja
 

Re: 16 Personality Types

Postby Ian W. » Wed Oct 12, 2016 4:18 am

Andrew wrote:Ian,

I found this article:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3830173/

It is from an Indian psychiatric journal and covers personality types from a traditional perspective. Maybe this was more of what you were looking for?

Andrew


Thanks Andrew. I wonder if that's what I heard. I've listened and read so much of James' stuff over the past few years, and I just remember hearing it once. Maybe it wasn't even James. :)
Ian W.
 
Posts: 16
Joined: Mon Jul 25, 2016 5:02 am

Re: 16 Personality Types

Postby Pedro » Wed Oct 12, 2016 5:32 am

Hi Ian,

I remember I once heard a guy do a guest talk within one of James' Gita satsangs in Tiru. He talked about the Enneagram, which says Iswara uses 9 basic personality types for the production of humans

This, of course isn't 16 types, but maybe this is what it was?
Pedro
 
Posts: 12
Joined: Thu Oct 06, 2016 12:02 am
Location: Netherlands

Re: 16 Personality Types

Postby Danielson » Wed Feb 08, 2017 9:38 am

I think personality systems are good to get to know the different jivas and in order to reflect on your own svadharma.

The system of the 16 types you were refering to is called MBTI (Myers Briggs Type Indicator). I think it's a good system. It's based on the typological studies of Carl Gustav Jung.

The Enneagram does not make sense to me at all. Even after many years and tests and books I have not been able to determine my own type.

Another very good typology in my opionion are the 7 personality types. They are based on channeled content and deal a lot with your individual svadharma. http://www.michaelteachings.com/
Danielson
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Feb 08, 2017 9:26 am

Re: 16 Personality Types

Postby Stan » Wed Feb 08, 2017 3:09 pm

Hi All,

I`d like to point out that we`re starting to swing away from vedanta teachings in this topic. Can we keep these posts more relevant vis a vis vedanta or, at least expand on what the relationship between them and vedanta is in more detail. thanks.
User avatar
Stan
 
Posts: 96
Joined: Mon Apr 20, 2015 11:15 am
Location: Lincolnshire, U.K.


Return to General Discussion

Login

User Menu