Welcome Anonymous !

This forum is intended to give the members of the ShiningWorld community a place to meet and discuss Vedanta among themselves. We do not endorse any of the views or opinions expressed here--unless they are made by one of our endorsed teachers--so please take advice and / or teaching from another member of the forum at your own risk. If you feel you have a question that is not being adequately answered in this forum, please contact one of our endorsed teachers directly.

Board index General Discussion

General Discussion

Are you living your svadharma?

This is where to post topics that do not fall into any of the below chapters. please post there whenever possible. If you cannot decide where to post, post here and your topic may be moved to the appropriate chapter as deemed relevant.

Moderator: milarepa

Postby Ian W. » Mon Dec 05, 2016 4:40 pm

Ian W.

Re: Are you living your svadharma?

Postby Mira » Tue Dec 06, 2016 7:50 pm

Hi Ian,
Hope you are well. Thanks for asking this important question:

Are you living your swadharma (personal dharma?)

My swadharma, I believe, has always been to find the meaning of life. Now that I've found vedanta, I can say that I am living my swadharma in that respect. Of course, self-realization is just the beginning. You have to put it into practice. Here, I try my best everyday and it does get easier as time goes on.

Another aspect of my swadharma is in my role as a mother. Here dharma is the clearest and easiest to fulfil, I think. There is very little self-interest in one's role as a parent. It's all about bringing up baby! I try to do my best and that comes naturally in this role.

Then there is the swadharma of my work (job/career). This is the most complex aspect of dharma (at least for me). I think there was a reason that Ved Vyasa set the Gita on a battlefield. I think he wanted to highlight that Arjuna was struggling with his swadharma (as a warrior). Akin to how we all struggle with our swadharma from time to time.

I am fortunate that I have an interesting, fulfilling profession (albeit a high stress one--but what isn't these days?!). Recently, I realized that I should approach my work as dharmically as possible. Every small action performed dharmically is a small act of worship for me (I talk about this more in another thread, so I don't want to repeat myself too much here). But it appears to have changed my approach to work for the better. I feel less irritated when I am doing busy work. I don't feel that endless emails and meetings are a complete waste of time. I try to see the divine in my workday.

Finally, I thought I might speculate on what my fantasy swadharma might be?
Probably it would be to live in a monastery in the high mountains living a quiet contemplative life. In reality, I know that I would not last even for a week :lol:. But a girl can dream :D.

Thanks for asking such a great question. I think about dharma all the time these days. Ultimately, I think that life itself is simply dharma.

I would love to hear everyone's answer to this great question.
Mira

Postby Mira » Wed Dec 07, 2016 7:25 am

Just saw this beautiful satsang by James and since it is relevant here, I thought I would post it. As James so beautifully puts it, our swadharma is to take care of the persons needs in such a way to allow self-realization and self-actualization.

James: Dear Charles, human beings have a “higher” and a “lower” nature, although in reality nothing is high or low. The feeling that was awakened by the picture of Ramana invoked your higher nature as awareness. It will stay with you – even beyond the grave – until it is realized. This self is your true nature, your “higher” nature, and it is your dharma, duty, to pursue it. The pursuit of this self is called Svadharma with a capital “S.”

Your relative or “lower” nature is Charles and his life, the ER guy. It is your svadharma, your “lower” nature, with a lower-case “s.” It is your duty to take care of that person’s needs in such a way that the deeper longing for the self has the opportunity to realize and actualize itself. A life without an active pursuit of the self is a life postponed.

It is through the pursuit of your true nature that you attain radiant happiness and unconditional love. That is your destiny.

~ James
Mira

Postby Ian W. » Thu Dec 08, 2016 5:48 am

Thanks Mira for your comments.

How nice to be a mother.

My life feels adharmic, but I also feel dharmic in that I'm living this adharmic life because that's what I've been given.

There's always a desire to be more in the flow, for life to just happen with enjoyable ease.
Ian W.

Postby Mira » Sat Dec 10, 2016 5:52 pm

Ian wrote: My life feels adharmic, but I also feel dharmic in that I'm living this adharmic life because that's what I've been given.

Like you, I believe that making the best of what you have been given is dharmic indeed. None of us choose our circumstances. Ishvara is just doling out our prarabdha karma.

Ian wrote: There's always a desire to be more in the flow, for life to just happen with enjoyable ease.

You describe beautifully the fruits of self-knowledge! From the perspective of the self, life does seem to flow.

So, it might be worth exploring what is preventing you from living fully from the perspective of the self?

I re-read some of your posts and you describe a difficult work situation. Is that still the case? Could you shed some light on why/how you feel that you are living life adharmically? Perhaps we could help. We're all in this together after all. Just little Ishvarettes doing our thing in this manifestation :D.

All the best, Mira
Mira

Postby Ian W. » Sun Dec 11, 2016 1:03 am

The only one that can figure out my svadharma is me.

From the self's perspective, there is no problem. The self has the perfect job. It's effortless. The self always does it perfectly. Everything in the world depends on it, but it doesn't depend at all on anything.

;)
Ian W.

Postby Mira » Sun Dec 11, 2016 6:00 am

Ian worte: he only one that can figure out my svadharma is me.

:D
Mira

Postby calonxy98 » Fri Jan 06, 2017 6:35 am

The way I've come to see this svadharma business is that Ishwara has given me two arms, two legs and a head to live my desires to the fullest. But I also got to factor in that there are a whole bunch of other jivas here crammed into this tiny space on earth all hoping to achieve the same thing - fulfill their desires!

I can either do this consciously or suffer. These are the only two options because I'm always going to have this burden of being a doer and having desires. I can keep banging my head against a brick wall, hoping that I'll keep getting a different result using the same old adharmic formula (mainpulating the world) or I can do this with understanding of the dharma field:

I have the right to act out my deepest desires, but I don't have the right to the results.

Just knowing this and reminding myself of this simple fact allows me to continue to live my worldly svadharma while at the same time transforming myself into a jiva who lives his svahdahra 'dharmically'.

It takes time, but it's the only sane way to live because it doesn't deny my relative nature while it leads me on the path of spiritual growth.

Looking at it this way has been a win win for me 8-)
calonxy98

Return to General Discussion

Login

User Menu