Welcome Anonymous !

This forum is intended to give the members of the ShiningWorld community a place to meet and discuss Vedanta among themselves. We do not endorse any of the views or opinions expressed here--unless they are made by one of our endorsed teachers--so please take advice and / or teaching from another member of the forum at your own risk. If you feel you have a question that is not being adequately answered in this forum, please contact one of our endorsed teachers directly.

Board index General Discussion

General Discussion

Danger of Sattva Guna for us who study Vedanta?

This is where to post topics that do not fall into any of the below chapters. please post there whenever possible. If you cannot decide where to post, post here and your topic may be moved to the appropriate chapter as deemed relevant.

Moderator: milarepa

Re: Danger of Sattva Guna for us who study Vedanta?

Postby georgschiller » Sat Dec 31, 2016 11:26 am

Rishie,

your argument sounds just like the one about the Bible:

The Bible is true
how do you know?
because the bible is written by God
how do you know that?
because the bible says so

James distorts the teaching with his own issues and problems
how do you know that?
1) because it is wrong to bring in own issues and problems into the teaching
how do you know that this is true?
2) because I say so
how do you know that you are right?
3) because I have attained the final knowledge
so how do you know that James teaching style is wrong?
1)because he brings in his own issues and problems into the teaching
how do you know that this is true?
2)...
ad infinitum...

For the best of all:
please reveal your name
and please point out explicitly when and how James distorts the teaching, as Stan suggested!
georgschiller

Postby rishie » Sat Dec 31, 2016 11:35 am

I've listened to over 250 hours of James Swartz talks. And I wanted him to be right. But I just couldn't shake the contradictions in his teachings. He teaches Dharma.but does not live by those values himself. I'm sorry I cannot bring every single point into this, nor should I have to. I just want to warn others to keep an open mind when listening to this guy. I have noticed he attracts narcissistic aspects of people who have finally found permission to be able to voice their caustic inner critic in the name of spiritual progress. Nobody more than me wanted Ramji to be an honest person, but the more I am exposed to his shit the more.i just see a silly old man who uses Vedanta as an excuse to rant about his personal perceptions. He does not take responsibility for his own projections onto others. Most of the criticism he has is contempt based and is just not true, it's not true because when you actually do the work you see it's not true, Vedanta is true, but Ramjis rants are just projections, they are not real, but there are a helluva lot of people who adopt these distorted views.

This Stan fellow is probably the worst of the lot. Everything he says is just a parrot of James Swartz personality. Yet he asks others to be objective while violating his own request. Any reasonable person will see this. I just want to be here to voice it so others can look for themselves. All I've seen from Ramjis students are parrots who assimilate these opinions rather than taking responsibility for their own world.
rishie

Postby Stan » Sat Dec 31, 2016 1:06 pm

Hi All,

I`ve just banned `Rishie` from the forum. I`m sure it`s pretty obvious as to why. We all have our `issues` to work out as does Rishie. Having said that, projecting your issues onto everybody else and going against dharma whilst doing so, oversteps the bounds of normal interchange. it`s a pity as it was a really good thread until Rishie tried to co-opt it. nothing to stop us carrying on !

Best regards to al. :-)
Stan

Postby Mira » Sat Dec 31, 2016 3:21 pm

Thanks, Stan for your lightening fast reflexes!

I headed out for a long run today and missed all the action on the forum!

I just wanted to say to Rishie that I appreciate his words of caution. However, we have all tested the teachings of Vedanta against our own logic and experience. And because the teachings of Vedanta are true, they have withstood this test.

If I could not validate the teachings myself, using my own intellect and logic, I would not bother with Vedanta or Shining World.

That said, I have the utmost gratitude for Ramji and all the teachers at SW, because they made these teachings accessible in plain english and allowed us the ability to hear them and validate them ourselves.

The fact that SW does not peddle 'experience-based enlightenment', but offers self-knowledge is the best example of its honesty and straightforwardness. Knowledge can be put to the test objectively, but experience-based teachings (which are plentiful in the western and Indian spiritual circuits) are entirely subjective and cannot be tested.

So, yes, please put me down as a Vedanta fan-boy :D.
Mira

Postby georgschiller » Sun Jan 01, 2017 1:59 am

Yes, we are indeed followers of Ramji , what else can you expect on a forum of shining world?
I mean we wouldn't be here if it would not be for Ramji! Who else is capable of explaining Vedanta in plain English??

What is funny though is that in my beginning post I mentioned that some Vedanta people have issues with self righteousness. it's kind of funny that this thread was spammed by a person who is very obviously telling others what to do; assuming only he knows what is right and what is wrong

Well. at least another good opportunity to practice dispassion and loving kindness

"If you're angry at a person, you are actually not angry at the person but at anger itself!" James and Christian Leeby
georgschiller

Postby Pedro » Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:44 pm

Hi Georg,

Don´t know if you´re still up for this topic.. I wrote something down about it. We could say it's a confession!

I'd say I am, or was, in danger of being arrogant because of Vedanta and the knowledge. And hell, I am in danger of being arrogant without Vedanta too! My mind often uses inflation (among various other strategies) to cope with its insecure status 'in a world full of other, competing minds..'

I do know, however, that this is my jiva's pre-installed operating program running from a believe of ignorance/duality and I do not consider it a problem 'I have to deal with'. Not really. If it isn't this particular program version Iswara runs on my jiva's mind, it will be another, which will have its up and downsides...

I think I deal best with this problem by keeping my attention on scripture and KY and expose it at the root. This goes for my other 394723 issues too!

However, I remember I once went to see James here in Holland a few years ago and James talked about knowledge vs experience and after the talk somebody, an old guy with a Buddhist name, asked if enlightenment was a meditation experience or something similar. He obviously missed what James had said and without thinking I spoke up, amazed how the guy hadn't listened at all.. I remember I said something like 'Nah, of course not!' It was a quick remark and there was arrogance and condescendence in my voice.

It was an old guy who was seeking for many many years and I still feel ashamed when I think about the way I spoke to him. After all, our receptive minds are nothing but grace aren't they? But at that time this wasn't clear to me and I had just heard about Vedanta. This guy might still be trying to make sense out of the same teachings, five years later. Or maybe not. I do sincerely hope anyway he's sailing the waves of maya on a solid ship of knowledge!

Or at least a surfboard!
Pedro

Postby calonxy98 » Fri Jan 06, 2017 7:14 am

Guna yoga is a trial and error game man. I think it has a lot of similarities to c.b.therapy = if you do x and you get a negative result then stop doing x and try until you understand what works. Then play around with it as the circumstances and vasanas change over time. It's a skill to master.
calonxy98

Postby Anja » Sat Jan 07, 2017 9:39 pm

Just as my fluffy little white baby-bunny mind turned into a tiger, turning from being sattvic while reading Georges innicial post, and then by what and how Rishie replied, it turned red-hot rajasic, ready to hunt another rajasic mind, good old watch-dog Stan showed up and grabbed my prey away. Ah!

Well...now I have to go for a walk. Just because of you, Stan. And it's freaking icey on the streets up here in Hamburg. I almost kissed the sidewalk earlier today on my way home.

I guess that's an example of how easily a sattvic mind can turn into a rajaic one. And, by the way, I'm by no means a James/Ramji fan-girl. Just a friend....of one of the coolest ex-hippie ever.

:D
Anja

Postby Pedro » Sun Jan 08, 2017 11:11 am

@Calon, Yeah definitely. When I first discovered the gunas I slung tamas on a shelve of damnation and limited myself to a serenade of sattva. This developed problems in my bedroom (sleeping problems)!

Presently I respectfully shake Tamas his obesive little hand in an atmosphere of lighthearted comradery, shoulderslaps and nosekisses!
Pedro

Previous

Return to General Discussion

Login

User Menu