Welcome Anonymous !

This forum is intended to give the members of the ShiningWorld community a place to meet and discuss Vedanta among themselves. We do not endorse any of the views or opinions expressed here--unless they are made by one of our endorsed teachers--so please take advice and / or teaching from another member of the forum at your own risk. If you feel you have a question that is not being adequately answered in this forum, please contact one of our endorsed teachers directly.

Board index General Discussion

General Discussion

To Do or Not To Do

This is where to post topics that do not fall into any of the below chapters. please post there whenever possible. If you cannot decide where to post, post here and your topic may be moved to the appropriate chapter as deemed relevant.

Moderator: Wayne

To Do or Not To Do

Postby Ian W. » Wed Jan 04, 2017 12:06 am

I read in a satsang from Sundari that "The burden of doership is the cause of all existential suffering."

That resonates with "me".

When things are going wrong, I think I'm not doing the right thing.

Family, friends, and workmates, amongst others also imply that I'm not doing the right thing, or there is more to do, or different things to do, or that I should do what they think I should do, etc.

It's somewhat easy to disregard what others think I should do, but it also points towards what I think I should do, so it gets so frustrating because people are telling me what to do, and I'm ignoring them, but my mind is also saying that I have to do those things, that I don't do enough, and that's why I have so many problems.
Ian W.

Re: To Do or Not To Do

Postby Mira » Thu Jan 05, 2017 2:36 pm

Hi Ian,
Always nice to hear from you. I'd love to hear Arlindo's reply to your post, if he has the time.

For what it's worth, here are my thoughts:

If you know that you are not the doer, then let Isvara 'do' your life. Isvara does it all anyway.

If however, the doer surfaces, then it is best to follow dharma. If your mind is agitated, then try to figure out if/how/what dharma is being transgressed. This can take a lot of reflection and the answer might actually surprise you! It often does me!

Dharma/Karma yoga is the best practice when the doer surfaces. Do your best and let it rest. You are not in charge of the results anyway.

All the best. Mira
Mira

Postby calonxy98 » Fri Jan 06, 2017 5:55 am

Dude :D

Look, you're playing in the wrong ball park if you think contemplating on the doer is what you need right now.

Do some "K.Y." man and throw in a bitta Bhakti, a twist of triguna sorting your thoughts and behaviours out... and you're good to go for the jnana yoga man.

This will sort out all the adharma others might be feeling from you. It will simplify your life and get you out of your head so later on, when all that worldy stuff is handled, you can get down to the actual business of solving the existential conundrum.

One thing at a time, yeah?
calonxy98

Postby calonxy98 » Fri Jan 06, 2017 6:04 am

Have you got a meditation habit? It's best to have one in place. It opens me upto doing what's right. Makes me sensitive to dharma and adharma and helps me sort out my thoughts and this informs me during the day because a calm mind knows what to do and when to do it. It's naturally dharmic and not too concerned with others 'petty' concerns.

A quote from the blue guy says:

I am the desire that is not opposed to dharma

So doing is great. Doing the right thing is better. Knowing that you are not the doer doing the right thing is perfection.

Ok brother? :ugeek:
calonxy98

Postby kpitsim » Fri Jan 06, 2017 7:42 am

To Calonnxy98:

You wrote: So doing is great. Doing the right thing is better. Knowing that you are not the doer doing the right thing is perfection.

Love that. Thank you.

Bob
kpitsim

Postby Mira » Fri Jan 06, 2017 7:55 am

You beat me to it, Bob. I was going to say the same thing!
Knowing that you are not the doer doing the right thing is perfection.

Love this!
And welcome to the forum Calonnxy98!
Mira

Postby calonxy98 » Fri Jan 06, 2017 8:39 am

Cheers!

Thanks for the welcome!

Seems Ishwara compelled me to sum up the whole Gita in two posts here :lol:
calonxy98

Postby Ian W. » Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:14 am

Nothing to say really. Thanks for the replies though.

Whether or not I think that I'm doing, doesn't make a difference. I see this. I'm not a doer. Jiva may seem to be a doer. Whatever is doing is me, but I'm not whatever is doing.
Ian W.

Postby calonxy98 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:01 am

I'm sorry to break it to you fella, but if you know you're not the doer then you would see you have not problems, there are no others. You'r here all on your own, always have been, always will be eternally alone with nothing but yourself to enjoy. There ain't no problems for a jnani.

"I've got problems" IS identification with the thoughts. Being the Knower of the doer means you don't believe these thoughts anymore, they just arise in you, awareness. Awareness is always free, not irritated or frustrated by "problems". Maybe you have a belief in being a not doer?? This is very different from the practical reality of non doership. Hope this helps somewhat. Maybe write a satsang to a teacher and ask for some clarity, dood ?

For the sake of more clarity your mind should be peaceful, sattvic (as they say round ere) not all rajasic and projecting probs. Should be loving and compassionate and interested in doing your duty, bowing to life, adjusting, making sure everyone is looked after. Even im not sattvic nor am i a jnani, but I think and feel these things, so I feel I am on the right track.
calonxy98

Postby Ian W. » Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:07 am

calonxy98 wrote:I'm sorry to break it to you fella

You think you know more than me, huh?

Anyway, you're just a figment of my imagination. You're an object, and objects aren't real. What about THAT?
Ian W.

Return to General Discussion

Login

User Menu