Welcome Anonymous !

This forum is intended to give the members of the ShiningWorld community a place to meet and discuss Vedanta among themselves. We do not endorse any of the views or opinions expressed here--unless they are made by one of our endorsed teachers--so please take advice and / or teaching from another member of the forum at your own risk. If you feel you have a question that is not being adequately answered in this forum, please contact one of our endorsed teachers directly.

Board index General Discussion

General Discussion

Doership

This is where to post topics that do not fall into any of the below chapters. please post there whenever possible. If you cannot decide where to post, post here and your topic may be moved to the appropriate chapter as deemed relevant.

Moderator: milarepa

Doership

Postby Anna » Thu Feb 16, 2017 5:44 pm

Hi all,

This is my first post, so be gentle..lol. Just kiddin'

Anyways, I know "I'm awareness", but still there has been a feeling of not letting go of that bit of thinking, "I'm a doer". The intellect seemed to still be wishy washy on that subject. Today, I think it finally sunk in that no matter what, Isvara is the doer! The ego claims it's the doer, but that's not even the case and seeing how I'm awareness it's got nothing to do with me.

Some events happened in a certain sequence and a decision was made in the mind that made it crystal clear that I had nothing to do with it.

This was when it was seen clearly that Isvara is doing the doing. Not just the "results", but the thoughts and actions prior to results also.

How refreshing!

Thoughts? (Of course they won't be "yours" though..lol)
Anna

Re: Doership

Postby Stan » Fri Feb 17, 2017 7:47 am

Hi Anna,

A big welcome to you ! I`d be wary `round here, ... we`re a pretty rough crowd. :evil:
Ok, just jokin` too, Ha ha .. It`s always nice to see a new face, so to speak. :-)

You said ....

think it finally sunk in that no matter what, Isvara is the doer!
Some events happened in a certain sequence and a decision was made in the mind that made it crystal clear that I had nothing to do with it. ( the ego ).
This was when it was seen clearly that Isvara is doing the doing. Not just the "results", but the thoughts and actions prior to results also.

Very nice `sequence of events` to have happen. The firm knowledge that " I am not the doer" is tantamount to `enlightenment` provided that the vasanas are no longer binding.

Would you mind saying a little more about what this `sequence of events` was, if it`s not disclosing anything too private ?

You are right to say that the thoughts and actions and the results arising from them are all Isvara....although the jiva does have a little `wiggle room` in having some free will to apparently act.

You`re also right to say that knowledge occurs in the intellect and i`m curious to know how the logic underlying your `sequence of events` played out. could you elaborate on that ?

I particularly liked your ...

it was seen clearly that Isvara is doing the doing
That "clearly", is where vedanta plays out and i`m intrigued as to whether you could elaborate on that a bit more for us.

Good introduction to the forum ! :-)
Stan

Postby Anna » Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:10 am

Hi Stan,

I don't have the time to give a proper reply right now, but wondered...does this forum give email notifications when someone replies? If so, I did not get one and only knew you replied, because I checked the site.

Thanks
Anna

Postby Anna » Fri Feb 17, 2017 1:21 pm

You`re also right to say that knowledge occurs in the intellect and i`m curious to know how the logic underlying your `sequence of events` played out. could you elaborate on that ?

I can not elaborate on the events themselves, unfortunately. However, in less then a 24 hour period several things had transpired quickly that went something like this- action, result, action, result, action, result, then a "decision" arose within the mind to change course completely. This had not even remotely been a thought prior (the day before) and the decision was firm and unwavering.

So, while action/results were unfolding there was a sense that I was being "done" vs. there being a "me" doing any of it, including the ultimate decision that was made.

Sorry if that's not clear, it's the only way I can describe it right now.
Anna

Postby Stan » Fri Feb 17, 2017 2:12 pm

Hi Anna,

I too am pushed for time at the moment but, in answer to your question, this forum does give email notifications when someone replies to your post.
Having said that, I have noticed a few times that I didn`t get such a notification !
No idea as to why, as usually there`s no problem.

As to other peoples posts, you don`t get an email notification for a new one UNLESS, you first notice a new post and then subscribe to it at the bottom of the relevant post.
You will then receive notifications.

If you keep getting problems, get in touch with me or Milarepa say, and we`ll try and figure out what`s going wrong. Thanks Anna.
Stan

Postby Mira » Fri Feb 17, 2017 2:17 pm

Just want to add that the forum gives email notifications only if you check that option. I don't have that option checked so I never get notifications. So it might be worth checking if that option is enabled for you.

BTW, Welcome!
Mira

Postby Anna » Fri Feb 17, 2017 4:43 pm

Thanks, yes notifications was not checked by default. I checked it and subscribed to the thread, even though I started it. Lol.
Anna

Return to General Discussion

Login

User Menu