Welcome Anonymous !

This forum is intended to give the members of the ShiningWorld community a place to meet and discuss Vedanta among themselves. We do not endorse any of the views or opinions expressed here--unless they are made by one of our endorsed teachers--so please take advice and / or teaching from another member of the forum at your own risk. If you feel you have a question that is not being adequately answered in this forum, please contact one of our endorsed teachers directly.

CHAPTER II: KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE

The Self Is Not An Experience To Be Gained - Swami Dayananda

How Do I Get Free?, Definition of Duality – Subject and Object,
What Is Freedom?, Paths Don’t Work, I Want Self-Knowledge
Enlightenment Myths, No Mind, Blank Mind, Empty Mind, Stopped
Mind, No Ego, Ego Death, Nirvana, The Now, Experience of Oneness,Transcendental State, Fourth State, Enlightenment as Eternal Bliss,Enlightenment Is Not a Special Status.

Moderator: milarepa

The Self Is Not An Experience To Be Gained - Swami Dayananda

Postby Vinay » Sat Feb 06, 2016 7:35 am

Question: Is there not another experience?

Swamiji: It is not an experience to be gained; you have enough experience of yourself. I am saying you are never away from yourself; you are not something to be gained as a new experience. You are already there, seeing me, hearing me. You never go out of the experience of yourself. You are there experiencing yourself in every experience. You are never outside yourself. You never get lost. Everything else, any object, may get lost, but you, the subject, never gets lost. Therefore, there is no question of lack of experience. In fact, you are the essence of every experience.

I analyse your experiences about yourself and point out that this is what you are. Therefore there is no question about gaining an experience of Atma, I, because Atma is the invariable in all experiences. It is not that I must experience myself; it is that I recognize myself in all experiences. I see what I am – in seeing, hearing, walking, talking, thinking, doubting. In all of them what is there is only myself. There is only One and that One is I. To see that One is recognition. There is no experience. Experience is only with reference to an object other than yourself.

Questioner: Perhaps I was confusing the issue because I was not clear.

Swamiji: We are confused and therefore we use wrong words. We use wrong words and therefore we are confused. When we use right words there is no problem. If I use the word ‘experience’ for knowing myself, I will be confused. Let us stop using that word; knowing myself is a question of self recognition. So what you are asking is, “Is there such a thing as clear knowledge?”. Yes. In fact knowledge must be clear. Knowledge is not gradual, but clarity is gradual. Clarity is gradual because I keep creating doubts.

In preparing the mind for self recognition there are things that can be done to have a quiet mind. That quiet mind is experiential. So you may say that experientially you first obtain a quiet mind. That is useful, because without a quiet mind, the teaching does not work.

Question: So breathing exercises ....

Swamiji: Everything like that is experiential.

Questioner: But they are useful?

Swamiji: Everything including asana, pranayama, pratyahara is useful. It all depends upon what you want. They are useful to gain a quiet mind. But if you think these practices are going to solve the problem of knowing yourself, that is not true.

Om Tat Sat
Vinay

Re: The Self Is Not An Experience To Be Gained - Swami Dayan

Postby Mira » Sat Feb 06, 2016 5:10 pm

Thanks, Vinay. I enjoyed reading that. Yes, from the absolute level, there is no experience. Nothing ever happened. There is only you :D.

I feel so happy that I can discuss Vedanta on this forum. In the rest of my bourgeois life, if I said something like this people would have no idea as to what I was talking about.

Thanks everyone for keeping the forum going. I hope more and more SWers will participate in our little community.
Mira

Postby Stan » Sun Feb 07, 2016 5:24 am

Hi Vinay,

Glad to see you`re back. I hope you had a great time and got your batteries well re-charged. Thanks again for those fotos...they were great.
re...
Swamiji: Everything including asana, pranayama, pratyahara is useful. It all depends upon what you want. They are useful to gain a quiet mind. But if you think these practices are going to solve the problem of knowing yourself, that is not true.

Yes, as Ramji would say, they are all yoga. All useful but can`t get you what you`ve already got. There never was a separation. It`s purely an ignorance problem which calls for knowledge and not experience.
I just love those Dayananda teachings. :-)
Stan

Postby Stan » Sun Feb 07, 2016 7:32 am

Hi Mira,

re your ...
I feel so happy that I can discuss Vedanta on this forum. In the rest of my bourgeois life, if I said something like this people would have no idea as to what I was talking about.

Err.. no idea what you`re talking about Mira ! .... Ha ha , only jokin` of course...

Thanks everyone for keeping the forum going. I hope more and more SWers will participate in our little community.

Well, it`s early days still and not everyone knows of the existence of our forum.
You may be surprised to know that over all of the topics, we`ve logged up about 30,000 views overall. a chunk of those will be repeat visits but even so, there are a lot of viewers who are happy to participate from the sidelines. This is perfectly ok and normal as forums go. we`ve still got some new developments to be initiated and i`m sure our sangha will grow very nicely on Isvara time. :-)
Stan

Postby Mira » Sun Feb 07, 2016 12:04 pm

Err.. no idea what you`re talking about Mira !

Hey Stan,
If you said that with an eye roll, you would sound just like my daughter :D!

You may be surprised to know that over all of the topics, we`ve logged up about 30,000 views overall.

Wow, 30,000 views! Even with repeat visits, that should be at least 1000 people! And that is a conservative estimate. Incredible. I hope more people will join us in the awesome forum soon!
Mira

Postby Vinay » Mon Feb 08, 2016 4:30 am

Glad to see you`re back. I hope you had a great time and got your batteries well re-charged. Thanks again for those fotos...they were great.

Thanks Stan. And yes, my spiritual batteries have been recharged for one more year :D
Vinay

Postby Anja » Wed Oct 05, 2016 11:46 am

Stan wrote:Hi Vinay,

re...

Yes, as Ramji would say, they are all yoga. All useful but can`t get you what you`ve already got. There never was a separation. It`s purely an ignorance problem which calls for knowledge and not experience.
I just love those Dayananda teachings.
:-)

I don't want to offend a sanskrit-scholar by any means, whatsoever. But...maybe, just maybe, being a sanskrit-scholar is just this: An occupation. Like being a dentist, a supermarket-casher, a mother, a father, an office-clerk, an artist, a teacher, a tailor, a jewelry-maker...etc.

Imagine:

We would not have dentists, nurses, farmers, doctors, tailors and architects. We only would have (philosphical) scholars, who know ancient languages and sriptures and such but have no other skills. And now imagaine the opposite: We have no such scholars, but we have teachers, doctors, nurses, dentists, farmers, tailors, architects and construction-workers...etc.

In which kind of world would you prefer to live?

No offense, dear scholars, of course!
Anja

Return to CHAPTER II: KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE

Login

User Menu