Welcome Anonymous !

This forum is intended to give the members of the ShiningWorld community a place to meet and discuss Vedanta among themselves. We do not endorse any of the views or opinions expressed here--unless they are made by one of our endorsed teachers--so please take advice and / or teaching from another member of the forum at your own risk. If you feel you have a question that is not being adequately answered in this forum, please contact one of our endorsed teachers directly.

Sanskrit Glossary & Useful Links

New Vedanta Website - ExploreVedanta.com

Moderator: Wayne

New Vedanta Website - ExploreVedanta.com

Postby Vinay » Thu Jul 14, 2016 7:15 am

Hi everyone,

Some of you already know about this site since it was posted on the SW Facebook page.

For those who don't know..
http://explorevedanta.com/ is a site which I've developed along with my friend and fellow Ramji student, Samadhi(Lidija).

On the website we have created a course called "Basics of Vedanta". The course is basically a compilation of teachings of Ramji, Swami Dayananda and Swami Paramarthananda, but in a systematic modular structure. The course was created keeping beginners in mind, but is useful to advanced students as well to refresh their knowledge.

We have also borrowed teachings from Swami Viditatmananda and Shining World endorsed teachers like Sundari, Ted and Tan in some places.

In each module we mention the source texts in the bottom.

This is the Table of Contents for the course:
http://explorevedanta.com/vbc-table-of-contents/

The initial idea behind the site was to create a small Vedanta course in Latvian and Russian, because not much Vedanta content is available in these languages. But as we started working, there was more and more information that we felt could not be kept out. So now, it's become a somewhat big course.

But we feel that it's still easy to navigate through the course, and we have kept expandable text everywhere so that you don't see a big wall of text staring at you.

Also, we have made many images to explain the concepts, and to prevent the content from being "too dry" for beginners.

This will be a multi-lingual site. We hope to translate the website to Latvian and Russian in future.

I hope you will find ExploreVedanta an useful resource in your Vedantic studies..

Vinay
Vinay

Re: New Vedanta Website - ExploreVedanta.com

Postby Mira » Thu Jul 28, 2016 2:27 pm

Hi Vinay,
I'm just back from vacation and catching up with the forum posts. Had a look at the ExploreVedanta website and it's terrific! I can tell it's a labor of love and the content and the pictures are really excellent.

Many congratulations to you and Samadhi.

I wonder if there is a way to add a category called "Useful Links" on the forum and save the link under there. That way, important links (like your website) can be easily accessed, as opposed to the risk of them getting buried in the General Discussion section.

Hope all is well!
Mira
Mira

Postby Vinay » Fri Jul 29, 2016 9:49 am

Thanks Mira. I'm glad your liked ExploreVedanta.

I wonder if there is a way to add a category called "Useful Links" on the forum and save the link under there. That way, important links (like your website) can be easily accessed, as opposed to the risk of them getting buried in the General Discussion section.

Perhaps there can be a "pinned post" with links to Vedantic resources. There is a lot of great stuff on the internet and it can be really useful to people.
Vinay

Postby Stan » Fri Jul 29, 2016 4:06 pm

Hi Mira, Vinay and all.

I`ve just recently put up a new forum category called...you`ve guessed it, " Useful Links" !
I did it with great trepidation as Dan our web guy is up to his neck in the projects that keep him and his family alive. He very graciously devotes his time to shiningworld free of charge and still manages to keep up with the regular updates etc.

He has given me full administrator rights which means that I can at last install the new developments and changes that have been waiting in the pipeline. He just can`t foresee having the time to do them himself.
The only trouble is that i`m a novice in the technical aspects of setting up and running forums. There is going to be a delay of a month or two before all of the new developments will be installed as I am learning on the job.

Dan has told me that he has confidence in me but..... i`m not to bring the site crashing down by poking my finger in some technical aspect of the system without knowing what i`m doing.... Ha !

Anyway, I tried instaling the new forum section at night time and after a bit of tweeking and reading, we have our first new forum section....`Useful Links`.
I am now fired up and will crash through the rest of the instals....only jokin` Dan !

I`ll be back soon with further details of the forthcoming developments. thanks guys.
Stan

Postby Mira » Sat Jul 30, 2016 9:19 am

Hi Stan,
Thanks for the Useful Links category :D. I took the liberty of copying the Explore Vedanta and Facebook site(s) posts there.

Like Dan, I also have full confidence in your Admin abilities :D. Thanks for taking the time to do this. It's so nice to have a place to chat with other Vedantins.

P.S. Don't forget the "Introductions" category on the forum (at your convenience, of course). Would love to hear from more forum members on how they came to Vedanta and Shining World.

Many thanks for all your time and effort. I'm a moderator on another forum and so I know the time and energy that this task can take up.

Hope all is well!
Mira
Mira

Postby Stan » Sat Jul 30, 2016 9:33 am

Hi Mira,

I was going to copy three links to the Useful Links category and found that two of them had already been transferred....that really baffled me at first ! Ha ha ...
Anyway, I copied another one. feel free to do this at your discretion.

Yes, we`ll definitely be having the `introductions` section, fotos/avatars and many more goodies. I`ll write about this more fully in the new week. I`m really fired up to get these new developments done as they`ve been in the pipeline forever. just didn`t think i`d have to sort the technical stuff. it`s all good....

So, thanks for the encouragement Mira...further news re new developments next week. All suggestions are welcome, by the way !

Best wishes and hope you`re well also. :-)
Stan

Return to Sanskrit Glossary & Useful Links

Login

User Menu