Welcome Anonymous !

This forum is intended to give the members of the ShiningWorld community a place to meet and discuss Vedanta among themselves. We do not endorse any of the views or opinions expressed here--unless they are made by one of our endorsed teachers--so please take advice and / or teaching from another member of the forum at your own risk. If you feel you have a question that is not being adequately answered in this forum, please contact one of our endorsed teachers directly.

VEDANTA TEACHERS AND Non Dual Teachings.

Ted's videos

This includes our endorsed teachers. Non dual quotations by other teachers which fit well with vedanta are encouraged here.
Postings by other non dual teachers which show no direct relevance to the teachings of Vedanta, may be removed.

Moderator: milarepa

Ted's videos

Postby Vinay » Mon Jun 06, 2016 6:44 am

Hi,

For those who don't know, Ted has uploaded a number of videos from his Tiru 2016 seminar here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCK28_K ... shelf_id=0
Vinay

Re: Ted's videos

Postby Mira » Mon Jun 06, 2016 6:12 pm

Thanks so much, Vinay for this link. These are great videos. Hope all is well with you. Mira
Mira

Postby Vinay » Tue Jun 07, 2016 8:59 am

Hi Mira,

Yes, all is well. Thank you for asking.

I've been busy in Samsara and valiantly practicing Karma Yoga :D So couldn't come to the forum much.

Vinay
Vinay

Postby Mira » Thu Jun 09, 2016 3:59 pm

We missed you on the forum, Vinay.

I am also in a very busy samaric phase right now. But I'm trying to use the busyness as my sadhana. Long journeys are great for meditation and contemplation, I find. And of course, how can anyone survive samasara without karma yoga :) .

Speaking of journeys, did you have time to read "Wanderings"? How did you like it? I still have not finished it--due to my busy schedule and due to the fact that I am savoring each page :D. What a great travelogue for the inner and outer hike. Perfect summer reading for the Vedantin set.

Enjoy your summer! Mira.
Mira

Postby Vinay » Sat Jun 11, 2016 7:41 am

Hi Mira,

Yes, I have started reading Wanderings in the Himalayas, and I love it. I am about half way through it. It's very interesting to discover how India was a 100 years back. If Swami Tapovan considered people in Rishikesh to be Rajasic then, I wonder what he would call them now.

The person who translated the book from Malayalam has done a great job. My only quibble is of the use of words like "soul" and "soul force". I am sure Swami Tapovan was using "Atma" and "Atma Shakti" in Malayalam.

The book is slightly dangerous in the sense that it romanticizes Sannyasa, which is understandable since the Swami was talking from his point of view, and he was qualified for Sannyasa. But when you have lot of Karma in your life at present and you're reading this book, suddenly Sannyasa looks very attractive :D

~

I would also recommend ordering "Guidance from the Guru". It's a small booklet of 18 letters he wrote from 1951 to 1955 to a disciple couple. The Swami passed away in 1957. In the letter he advises, encourages and inspires his disciples to continue with spiritual practice. So, it's a book to be read whenever you are short of motivation, and it's small enough to be carried with you anywhere.

~

Also, the documentary Gurukulam is out. It has started screening at many places in the US.

http://layoga.com/entertainment/film-in ... hram-life/
http://www.gurukulamfilm.com/#!screenings/qzx00
Vinay

Postby Mira » Sat Jun 11, 2016 2:59 pm

Hi Vinay,
Thanks for your feedback on Wanderings. I'm glad you like it. Yes, the soul/self confusion is there. But I think in India 'atma' is routinely translated as soul (not self). Of course, we Vedantins in the Ramji sampradaya know that atma is self and soul is the subtle body. I also think that the book is for advanced Vedantins who have no doubts about their true nature otherwise these literary confusions can be, well, confusing!

Interesting too that you point out that the book romanticizes Sanyasis. Actually, I found it just the opposite. Swami Tapovanam's life is so hard (physically) and without any basic comforts at all that I am constantly amazed at how he survives. Having done a lot of hiking and climbing in high mountains myself, I just can't imagine how he does this. I am getting ready for a climbing trip and I'm so obsessed about my gear and the energy tabs and drinks that I will take etc.. In the passage I was reading yesterday, he climbed a 17000 foot pass with no food and while he was so ill.

But I can see how you think that it might send a message that sannyas is a way to escape samsara. But his kind of sanyas comes with it's own troubles of extreme physical hardships. So, ss always samsara always has an up and a downside :D.
Of course, he is not the kind of person to take it easy in a monastary or an ashram either.

I will order Guidance from a guru and look forward to reading it after Kailash Yatra. I typically love having Wanderings with me while I travel. I'm on a trip right now and sadly, I forgot it. But it's nice just to be able to discuss it with someone.
Thanks for the Gurukulam tip--I will look for it in my town.
Thanks again for the feedback. Mira
Mira

Return to VEDANTA TEACHERS AND Non Dual Teachings.

Login

User Menu