Welcome Anonymous !

This forum is intended to give the members of the ShiningWorld community a place to meet and discuss Vedanta among themselves. We do not endorse any of the views or opinions expressed here--unless they are made by one of our endorsed teachers--so please take advice and / or teaching from another member of the forum at your own risk. If you feel you have a question that is not being adequately answered in this forum, please contact one of our endorsed teachers directly.

VEDANTA TEACHERS AND Non Dual Teachings.

Jivanmukta Ananda Lahiri by Shankara

This includes our endorsed teachers. Non dual quotations by other teachers which fit well with vedanta are encouraged here.
Postings by other non dual teachers which show no direct relevance to the teachings of Vedanta, may be removed.

Moderator: milarepa

Jivanmukta Ananda Lahiri by Shankara

Postby Mira » Sat Mar 19, 2016 7:04 pm

Hi,
Hope everyone is well!

I was wondering if anyone could recommend a translation/interpretation of Jivanmukta Ananda Lahiri by Adi Shankara. The title means "Waves of bliss of one who is liberated in this life". Essentially it refers to the everyday experiences of an enlightened person and appears to be a sort of final or bookend text of Vedanta written by Shankara.

I am attaching a link to a translation by Swami Bhoomananda Tirtha which I found online.
https://www.narayanashramatapovanam.org ... lahari.pdf

The translation seems fine. But I'd love to read an interpretation by Swami Dayananda or Swami Paramarthanada or someone in the SW lineage.

I'm watching a utube presentation of an interpretation by Swami Tejomayananda (from Chinmaya mission). It's Sanskrit heavy and the English is difficult to follow sometimes. But I'm enjoying it.

Anyway, please let me know if you have recommendations for this text. Thanks! Mira
Mira

Re: Jivanmukta Ananda Lahiri by Shankara

Postby Vinay » Mon Mar 21, 2016 6:22 am

Hi Mira,

I didn't know that such a text existed. I couldn't find anything on this text from the Swami Dayananda lineage.

However, there is a series of audio talks by Swami Tattvavidananda on "Sthithapragnya" (one established in Self-knowledge) here: http://www.avgsatsang.org/hhstvs.html. Since, it's on a similar topic maybe you will find it useful.

The site http://www.avgsatsang.org is a good place to search for material from the Dayananda lineage.
Vinay

Postby Andrew » Mon Mar 21, 2016 5:48 pm

Hi,

I haven't heard of this text either. I second going to avg satsang also. I caught a good series by Swami Tatvavidananda on Shankara's Dakshinamurthy Strotram. He is a really good teacher.

Thank you Mira & Vinay for the links!

Andrew
Andrew

Postby Mira » Tue Mar 22, 2016 7:36 am

Thanks, Vinay and Andrew for the recommendation. The avgstatsang website has a terrific wealth of Vedanta material :D.

I was reading an article by a student who was describing his experience of a 2 year Vedanta course at the Chinmaya mission. http://www.chinmayaniagara.org/Library/ ... 0Today.pdf

It was a nice description (with cool pictures) and he happened to mention that they ended the course with the Jivanmukta Ananda Lahiri text. I had also not heard of it--so I looked it up and I'm glad I did. It's a short text and a valuable read on a relevant topic. So I can recommend it.
Mira

Postby Vinay » Tue Mar 22, 2016 8:56 am

It was interesting reading the article by the Chinmaya Mission student. I wonder if they are still following the syllabus designed by Swami Dayananda because the article says they have Panchadasi in their course.

If I am not mistaken, the Dayananda Ashram 3 year course does not have Panchadasi because it is considered too advanced!

Vinay
Vinay

Postby Stan » Thu Mar 24, 2016 1:19 pm

Hi Mira,

Thank you for posting this wonderful `Jivanmukta Ananda Lahiri` text by Shankara.
I have never heard of it and find it so inspiring and full of the bliss of the self...it`s quite wonderful !

When the `satya-mithya` inquiry vasana has done it`s work and nidhidhyasana is complete, then there can be nothing other than unbroken bliss. loss of self knowledge and suffering is just not possible for the jivanmukta. under any circumstances.

Anyway, please let me know if you have recommendations for this text. Thanks! Mira

I don`t have a recommendation or referal to this text but something that comes to mind is something that Ramji said. It concerns freedom and limitlessness whilst under the most extreme situations and circumstances. over and above the usual daily states described in Shankara`s text.

I found it in one of the vids in the Panchadasi 2015 full series and I transcribed the following to illustrate....

questioner..." So James, I don`t mean to be disrespectful ..( James..it doesn`t sound like you`re disrespectful ) ...when you were recovering from surgery, the pain you had, how did you deal with that ? How did you deal with the pain ?

James...I didn`t have any pain..the body had pain.

questioner.. Were you able to disassociate from it ?

James.. No, I didn`t have to disassociate from it. Why would I have to ? You can`t disassociate because i`m already disassociated !
See, you`re projecting satya onto mithya. I`m saying I never felt pain because I was awareness. The body felt pain ; it was in mithya. The body is in mithya...it had it`s pain. There were all these uncomfortable and unpleasant thoughts but, it didn`t have anything to do with me !

I just observed the pain and I was exactly the same before the operation as I was after the operation. All that happened was that there was a fluctuation in the pain level and the experiential level. The experiential level fluctuated.

Sometimes I felt quite high and good and other times I felt rotten.
The day after that operation I never felt that..speaking as a jiva..not speaking as awareness now... shifting down to the jiva level..not speaking as awareness...speaking as the jiva, I never felt so awful !
I actually would have been happy to die as the jiva because I understood what it would be to be completely dead...be just one big matter bundle.

It lasted for about a day or so and then what ? That tamas..that pure macrocosmic tamas cleared up and I started to reflect awareness again.
But I could tell you step by step exactly what happened and I wasn`t affected by it at all. At the end of it, I was still the same being that went into it. In fact, I didn`t go into it. It appeared in me and now it`s disappeared out of me. I feel great !
I feel ten years younger...speaking as a jiva but, speaking as myself, nothing happened !

I`m still the same being I was before the operation . it had nothing to do with me, understand ?
So you can`t project...and this is the whole problem with superimposition. The jiva trying to like put the qualities or the nature of pure awareness, the original consciousness onto the reflected consciousness, doesn`t work.
Or taking the reflected consciousness and projecting it onto what ? Projecting it on the jiva consciousness doesn`t work either.

When people hear the teaching, they think that pure awareness is going to transform the jiva. But it can`t transform the jiva because they`re in different dimensions.
There`s no connection. There`s an `up` connection in that the jiva depends on awareness BUT, awareness doesn`t depend upon the jiva.

Remember the example..I think it`s a good example,...
Say you`re dreaming in a totally dark room and you dream of a really bright light.
There`s darkness and light together at the same place occuring simultaneously.
Bright brilliant light and what ? Total darkness exactly in the same place at the same time.

Yet what ? The darkness doesn`t hide the light and the light doesn`t illumine the darkness. Why, because one is in the satya dimension and the other is in the mithya dimension of reality. There`s two orders of reality. satya and mithya..and never the twain shall meet !

One`s a projection, you can`t call it real because it`s a projection and it doesn`t mean that there`s a duality because there`s mithya. because mithya`s as good as nothing. Practically, if mithya has no effect on you / satya, is it real ?
If it`s got no effect, it`s as good as non existent. It`s not non-existent because we experience it.
But,...it`s as good as non existent because what ? ... It doesn`t effect me !

From the text....

the true Knower will at heart be a mere witness of what he sees in front. Steeped well
in his own internal quiet and stability, he will never be put to any
distractions or agitations

Satya/mithya.
Stan

Postby Mira » Thu Mar 24, 2016 6:30 pm

Hi Vinay,
That is so interesting about the 2-3 year courses not covering Panchadasi. I imagine that some of the students coming out of those courses might want to teach--so I would have thought they would go through all the texts. Maybe there is a different curriculum for would-be teachers.

I've often wondered what it would be like to be part of such a course. Sounds so wonderful (despite the 4:00AM starts).
Mira

Postby Mira » Thu Mar 24, 2016 6:33 pm

Hi Stan,
Thanks for that wonderful transcription of Ramji’s satsang. I enjoyed reading it very much since I have not heard the Panchadasi series.

I’m also glad that you liked the Jivanmukta Ananda Lahiri text. I am really enjoying it very much too. I agree with you there is nothing comparable to the bliss of the self. And when the mind is focused on the self, then that bliss is ever-present.

What I also liked about the text is how nicely Shankara de-mystifies enlightenment and describes how a jivan mukta enjoys life. The enlightened person is shown leading a varied and diverse life—experiencing all kinds of situations such enjoying nature, enjoying solitude, but also enjoying arguments, engaging in playfulness, being subject to rajas, satva and tamas, engaging with different kinds of people and commiserating with them).

This is very different from the description of the typical enlightened person. For example, they are often spoken of as super-human, perpetually silent and/or yogic masters (Buddha, Ramana Maharishi, Lahiri Mahasaya come to mind respectively). Shankara’s description on the other hand portrays the enlightened person as one who experiences ananda in everyday situations that we can all relate to.

I also love the text’s devotion to the Guru. And Shankaracharya, of course, was one of the finest Guru of all time.
Mira
Last edited by Mira on Sat Mar 26, 2016 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mira

Postby isaac » Sat Mar 26, 2016 4:40 pm

Awesome stuff everyone! Thank you!
isaac

Return to VEDANTA TEACHERS AND Non Dual Teachings.

Login

User Menu