Welcome Anonymous !

This forum is intended to give the members of the ShiningWorld community a place to meet and discuss Vedanta among themselves. We do not endorse any of the views or opinions expressed here--unless they are made by one of our endorsed teachers--so please take advice and / or teaching from another member of the forum at your own risk. If you feel you have a question that is not being adequately answered in this forum, please contact one of our endorsed teachers directly.

ANNOUNCEMENTS, NEWS & UPDATES.

SHININGWORLD AND SOCIAL MEDIA UPDATE

Moderator: Wayne

SHININGWORLD AND SOCIAL MEDIA UPDATE

Postby Stan » Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:42 am

Hi Friends,
It`s been a little while now since James closed down his involvement with all facebook sites, including his own two pages.
I mentioned in an earlier post on facebook that I would update the news on James` involvement with the use of social media when his views on it have been made known. so here is the current position.

James has long felt that facebook as a medium for promoting vedanta and shiningworld has as many drawbacks as advantages. possibly more so. He believes that social media is probably more suited to beginners and more advanced students as opposed to the `intermediate` ones.
The nature of this problem lies in the fact that facebook tends to promote the `likes and dislikes` attitude of mind which causes difficulties for the mainly intermediate students.
This is because `likes and dislikes` correlate nicely with one`s conditioning which outpicture as...likes and dislikes !

It is easy to get caught up in personal opinions, conjecture and frankly a projecting of our own ignorance instead of humble inquiry into the truth of our nature. The `social` aspect of this media allows for `one and all` to voice their questions and opinions pretty much all at the same time. people tend to disregard the guidelines for posting...one post per day, for example...and this makes it sometimes difficult for us to hear what the other person is actually saying. it`s just the nature of the beast... no accusations intended here.

James has never been a heavy or regular poster on facebook due to time restraints. He devotes most of his time to teaching, writing books and commentaries and answering some student`s questions when time allows. Sundari does most of the replies now as there just isn`t enough time to fit everything in. It perhaps needs saying that James has a life `outside` of vedanta and he is in his late 70`s now.
The point being, time is limited and needs to be prioritized in order to enjoy a smooth lifestyle.

The priority for James will be teaching vedanta and keeping it pure as has always been the duty of the sampradaya.

So, James will not be giving a high priority to participating in facebook. especially not to canvas the public before making his mind up concerning what he should do about problems that crop up on facebook or off it.
He at one point he told me that he is probably finished with it.

I have always and for some years now tried to convince James that there is a role for social media and he allowed me to put up a forum on the shiningworld website....having made me aware that he and Sundari have no time to devote to it. I have over the last year or more devoted mt time to facebook as opposed to the forum at James and Sundari`s request. The forum has languished as a result but it will now be given prominence.

Despite recent `distractions` that have taken place on facebook, James has admitted that social media is here to stay and if shiningworld is to be involved with it, it needs to be done properly.

The top priority I was advised had to be.... "It has got to be clean" otherwise "we`re out !".

This is part of a recent mail I wrote to James about a proposed way of going forward with his involvement with social media ....

" The new site is near as darn it ready but it`s not going `live` until monday.
I don`t know if Sundari told you that our social media is going to be a hybrid affair. it`s going to work as a combination of facebook and forum platforms working in conjunction.

Megan thought that we didn`t need to use facebook and interaction should rather be done on the forum for various reasons. one thing I prefer about the forum is that the pages don`t disappear each day so, in that way, the forum is better suited for more in depth inquiry which is visible all the time.

Having said that, I think that facebook does have it`s uses.

The idea is that the facebook site will be really used as an advertising site for the forum where the in depth interaction will take place. The facebook page will in effect be used as a `sprat to catch a mackerel`. It`s purpose is to trawl a larger section of the public than the forum is able to reach. This should in effect allow for a wider growth of people seeking the teachings of vedanta and help promote the work of Shiningworld in the process.

The people on the new facebook page will be vetted ...as are the forum participants already. This will give us a double firewall as most interaction will be done on the forum. nothing`s ever perfect but this should pretty much eliminate the `undesirable` people before they gain access.
Steven Shaps` facebook group " Friends of ..." has already undertaken revision by him in keeping with the clarified aims of the group.

The facebook site will have enough material to provoke interest and participation but it will be in truncated form. The full length posts, book and video reviews, announcements etc will be on the forum . they will appear as edited posts on facebook. each of these facebook posts will have a direct link to the forum where they appear in full thus inviting participation.

Occasionally, full length posts or video excerpts etc will be taken from the forum and shown in full on the facebook site. The intention here is to give `good value` to the facebook site and not just to the forum.

The facebook site will also show some of the better posts from other groups such as that of Eaden`s and Steven Shaps. it will also post back some of our chosen topics back to their sites if that`s ok with them.
The aim is to build a comprehensive shiningworld group of supporters and participators and maintain a sense of inclusiveness.

I`m at the moment, putting the finishing touches to a post to Steven`s and Eaden`s facebook pages which will announce the new changes to our social media participation. (this is it )
It is aimed at putting a few minds at rest and providing answers to the many people who wish to maintain contact with Shiningworld social media.

Whilst re-assuring them that there will be further contact between themselves and yourself James, no matter how infrequent, a few facts will be pointed out to them
They will need to keep to the spirit as well as the letter of the guidelines for participation on the sites.
These will be made perfectly clear.

It will also be made clear that the emphasis of the forum and facebook sites are intended to provide a platform for the study of vedanta and not other religions or methods of quasi Liberation such as Buddhism etc.

The emphasis has to be on vedanta as taught by yourself and your lineage. The purpose is to share knowledge and to learn in a spirit of humility and open-mindedness.

I`m expecting to make this post on those sites on friday evening with a view to going `live` with the new site on monday. This will give time for current members of the groups to orient themselves to the new sites and ask any pertinent question about them prior to applying to be members.
Members on the new facebook site will not be able to start new posts of their own. they will have to go to the forum to do that.

I`m very grateful and relieved to have had Wayne provide a huge amount of help in moving all of the good content from your previous private page to the new one James. It would have taken me weeks of work just figure it out and do that. He is a moderator on the forum as well. "
Here`s part of a reply I got back from James.

" Thanks so much, Stan. Good ideas. Very informative email. Thank Wayne too, please. I will make an effort to read the forum and post on it for sure "

So, it looks like we can look forward to James participating on the facebook and shiningworld forum sites going forward. I must admit, i`m very pleased about this. I know that he is working on an extended satsang that he is expected to share on both sites shortly.

The links to the new facebook site and forum will be posted in the next few days.

SHININGWORLD IS AND ALWAYS HAS BEEN A COMPLETELY ORGANIC ENTITY CONTROLED BY ISHVARA.

As this is so, the Social Media sites will be reviewed in 6 months time. At that point they will be kept and promoted or sidelined as not being effective for the greater good of the aims of vedanta and Shiningworld.

Thanks friends, that`s the news for the moment.
Stan

Re: SHININGWORLD AND SOCIAL MEDIA UPDATE

Postby Mira » Fri Feb 23, 2018 7:45 pm

This is great news! Thank you for this update Stan and for all your efforts.
Mira
Mira

Postby Stan » Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:16 am

Hi Mira,

Thanks for your kind words.....it`s been a long time since we`ve spoken, hasn`t it ?

This Social Media development has been a long time in coming and i`m confident that we`re in a good phase of it now. I`m talking about the means in particular as opposed to the content.

I`ve always had faith that Isvara will light up the way. It`s just up to us to follow it.

Glad to be here again. :-)
Stan

Postby Mira » Sat Feb 24, 2018 12:08 pm

Hi Stan,
Yes, it has been a while. It's been lonely on the forum. But I'm delighted to hear that might change :D. Hope all is well!
Mira
Mira

Postby Wayne » Sun Feb 25, 2018 3:52 am

Hiya Mira!

How ya been?

Stan, exciting times ahead. I look forward to some great inquiry with the great minds on here.

:?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :arrow: :idea:

warmest wishes

Wayne
So how do I live my life? ‘Be’ the absolute reality and enjoy the appearing-reality. Simple.

Ramiji
Wayne

Postby georgschiller » Tue Feb 27, 2018 3:40 am

Just to add my two cents

To my knowledge it was not Daniel s idea to bring up the option of donations. Somebody else set it up for him and made it visible on social media. To my knowledge Daniel wasn't to fond about it.

But maybe I am wrong :)

Georg
georgschiller

Postby Wayne » Tue Feb 27, 2018 6:05 am

Hi Georg,

At a teacher level, the difference between physically doing something prohibited, and allowing someone to do it for you, and keeping it in place... not sure ethically, if it makes any difference.

Warmest wishes

Wayne
So how do I live my life? ‘Be’ the absolute reality and enjoy the appearing-reality. Simple.

Ramiji
Wayne

Postby Stan » Tue Feb 27, 2018 6:30 am

Hi Georg,

I`m not sure why you`re making a post about Daniel here. You`re statement assumes everyone knows what you`re referring to and i`m sure that isn`t the case. It`s as if you`re replying half way through a topic that doesn`t exist on the forum.

No doubt you`re alluding to the fact that Daniel and his material are no longer supported by Shiningworld. to be precise, he is no longer an `endorsed` teacher and his satsangs have been removed from Shiningworld.

There has been much talk on the facebook pages that Daniel has been `unendorsed` just because he asked for money towards his medical expenses and you`re saying that it wasn`t his idea and he wasn`t keen on it anyway.

There is some truth in that being the reason for his unendorsement but it is only one factor amongst others, that added up to the decision for James and Sundari to remove their support from him. It`s the way he did it that went against the rules of the sampradaya for soliciting money for private use.

As regards your saying ...

" it was not Daniel s idea to bring up the option of donations. Somebody else set it up for him and made it visible on social media. To my knowledge Daniel wasn't to fond about it."

I would just point out that Daniel is still soliciting for donations and has now made that a permanent feature of his facebook page. I think he is rather fond of asking for money judging by his actions.

A final point i`d like to make is that the forum isn`t the place for members` discussions of student teachers` problems and disagreements with their gurus / teachers.
That is a private matter between them.

James has made a statement about this issue and I believe that he will be making a further one to help clarify matters. I`m sure it will be done from a vedanta standpoint and not a personal one.
Everybody is free to support Daniel and other teachers as they choose and see fit. That isn`t a problem but it also isn`t what this forum is about.

Further speculations about Daniel and his teaching relationship with Shiningworld will not find a place on the forum. What real purpose would they serve and do we even have all of the relevant information to hand ?
Stan

Postby georgschiller » Tue Feb 27, 2018 7:49 am

Yes, you are both right, Stan and Wayne!

And to my defense, I held my view long back but ultimately it slipped through... :lol:

Best, Georg :)
georgschiller

Return to ANNOUNCEMENTS, NEWS & UPDATES.

Login

User Menu