Search & Read
The Song of the Self
1. I am limitless, unassociated awareness, here and now. I am ever-unchanging, eternal, actionless awareness, non-dual, complete and full. My nature is unconditioned presence, pure awareness, pure existence, absolute peace and unlimited happiness.
2. The macrocosmos, the creator of the macrocosmos and the myriad laws and principles that make up the creation appear like a dream in me, limitless awareness.
3. The human form is a microcosmic projection within the macrocosmic projection.
4. This projection is not the same as me, but it is not different from me either. Space in a room appears to be different from space outside the room, but they are the same.
5. I am thought to be associated with a material human body and mind due to ignorance, although I am always free of it.
6. So it seems as if I am a mixture of awareness and matter, like twilight is a mixture of light and dark.
7. Because I seem to be a mixture, I become confused and seek to find out who I am even though I am always present and known to myself alone.
8. In this strange condition it seems as if I am affected by ignorance, but I am not. My form is in one order of reality and I am in another. When there is smoke in space it seems as if space is smoky, but it is never contaminated. I am never contaminated by the thoughts and feelings that appear in me. I am unaffected by the body superimposed on my radiance.
9. When I am apparently under the spell of ignorance I know that I exist, but I do not know that I am existence itself.
10. When I am apparently under the spell of ignorance I know that I am conscious, but I don’t know that I am limitless consciousness. I think I am limited.
11. Confusing myself – awareness – with my body and mind causes suffering.
12. In spite of the confusion I am always unaffected by ignorance.
13. Knowledge cancels ignorance just as alkali neutralizes the acid in an upset stomach.When I imagine that I am bound I need knowledge to set me free.
14. When I understand that I am limitless awareness my individuality disappears because I was only seemingly ignorant. If my ignorance was real it could not be removed by knowledge.
15. With or without my apparent individuality I am awareness, free of knowledge and ignorance. I was never not awareness. I just thought I was a person.
16. Before my ignorance was removed by self-knowledge I was only indirectly aware of myself as awareness, but now I am directly aware of myself as awareness.
17. It seems like I am two, limitless awareness and an apparently aware individual, but I am only one.
18. I use the apparent person that appears in me to transact business with the world.
19. The apparent person seems to be alive and independently aware, but it is not. It seems so because I illumine and enliven it by my presence, like a ventriloquist enlivens a puppet.
20. At the determined time, according to the momentum of its past action, the gross body body dies and the subtle body goes into a potential, unmanifest state, the macrocosmic causal body.
21. I continue as limitless, unassociated awareness. I am ever-unchanging, eternal, actionless, one, complete and full. My nature is unconditioned presence, pure awareness, absolute peace.
Confusion appears only when I am associated with a human form. Why ignorance of myself as awareness and confusion of identity happens to me, awareness, cannot be explained logically. Also, why I as limitless awareness identify with the limited form cannot be logically explained. That is why it is called a “play.”
I always am the unaffected witness of confusing ignorance and the removal of my apparent confusion by self-knowledge.
Life Is a “Both/and,” Not an “Either/or”
We think of our bodies as either healthy or sick. But the physical body is “both healthy and sick” simultaneously. Every moment there is a balancing between BOTH the forces that lead to health, maintain life AND the forces that lead to sickness, death. We try to keep the health-forces predominant over the sickness-forces to enjoy a “healthy life.” But one day sickness will be predominant over health and the body dies. So we are both alive and dying simultaneously, but I am unaffected by life and death.
People have “contributory” free will, but not “causative” free will. Causative free will is determined by karma; nothing can be done about it. An arrow released from a bow cannot be stopped mid-flight. Contributory free will is the choices people make in particular karmic situations. They influence destiny. But free will and determinism are only issues for human beings. I am free of will.
“Both/and” applies to the Creator, the creation and the creatures – the whole spectrum of life, but it does not apply to me, awareness.