Search & Read
How to Remove Projections and Impurities
A. Vedanta inquiry (vichara). Even though Vedanta is duality, it is good duality because it will give self-knowledge and seeking will stop once you know who you are. Live well and discriminate continually.
B. Remove impurities (malam). Impurities consist of excess rajas and tamas. If you don’t remove them before you realize who you are you will have to remove them afterward if you want to be happy. What use is self-knowledge without its fruit – freedom from a disturbed mind?
The methods for removing impurities are called yogas and are revealed in the Bhagavad Gita.
1. Karma yoga is the primary means.
2. Take a fearless moral inventory; study the analysis of values unfolded in Bhagavad Gita 16-17.
3. Inquiry into the cause, nature and consequence of each positive and negative emotion, not coercive behavior, will turn a negative mind into a positive mind.
4. Consistent application of the opposite thought (prati-paksha bhavana) will transform the mind. When you think, “I am incomplete,” think, “I am complete.” When you hate someone, love them.
5. Prayer. Pray for understanding, courage, resolve, etc.
6. Conscious daily resolution (sankalpa) to practice a particular virtue. “Today I will not criticize my spouse.”
7. Association (satsanga) with great souls.