Search & Read
The Unfathomable Depth
1. In the beginning there was neither Non-being nor Being, neither atmosphere nor sky beyond. What enveloped all things? Where were they, in whose care? What was the ocean, the unfathomable depth?
2. At that time there was neither mortal nor immortal, neither night nor day. That being, the only one, breathed without air in freedom. Beyond it nothing existed.
3. Darkness was there and in the beginning this world was an ocean without lights. But the pregnant germ of consciousness enveloped by the husk of ignorance was born by the strength of penance.
4. And love, the first-born, went forth as the primodial seed of mind. Thus wise men meditating found the link of Non-being and Being in the Heart.
5. They threw their plumbline across the universe. What was then below and what above? There were seedbearers; there was mighty striving; freedom beneath, exertion above.
6. But who knows and who can tell from whence the creation came? The gods came afterwards.
7. He from whom this creation proceeded, whether He created it or not, He whose eye watches it in the highest heaven, perhaps He knows it… or perhaps He knows it not.
~ From the Rig Veda