Welcome Anonymous !

This forum is intended to give the members of the ShiningWorld community a place to meet and discuss Vedanta among themselves. We do not endorse any of the views or opinions expressed here--unless they are made by one of our endorsed teachers--so please take advice and / or teaching from another member of the forum at your own risk. If you feel you have a question that is not being adequately answered in this forum, please contact one of our endorsed teachers directly.

Board index General Discussion

General Discussion

Documentaries and movies on nonduality

This is where to post topics that do not fall into any of the below chapters. please post there whenever possible. If you cannot decide where to post, post here and your topic may be moved to the appropriate chapter as deemed relevant.

Moderator: Wayne

Documentaries and movies on nonduality

Postby georgschiller » Sun Jun 28, 2015 4:41 pm

Hello everybody!

I found out that it is a great way to refocus on the Self after a hard day of work by watching a movie or rather documentary on nonduality. There are many enjoyable documentaries on Tibetan Buddhism, spiritual India and Bhagavad Gita on youtube.

Can anybody recommend more videos for inspiration and refocus?

Thanks a lot :)
georgschiller

Re: Documentaries and movies on nonduality

Postby Stan » Mon Jun 29, 2015 5:39 am

Hello Georg....nice to see you back .

I`ve been looking at your question and thinking , what does it really mean .... to me ?
You said that watching a "documentary on nonduality" is " a great way to focus on the self after a hard day at work".

I know that coming home from work tired, is not the best time for getting out one of James`s books or delving into a panchadasi video for example. The body and mind need to relax and be fresh for that, and the `right kind` of spiritual documentary could be a good mood setter in helping to get the mind more sattvic. I see nothing wrong with that so long as the films don`t disperse the mind instead of focusing it. The movies could easily be used as a sort of `beer after work` and lead to a tamasic mind state of dullness when they finish. you say that they are enjoyable so I think you must be choosing good movies.
I think anything inspiring will work just as well....some uplifting music for example. or watching a good nature film and so on.

What I find interesting is that you say that you need to " refocus" . Is it true that you really lose focus ? Focus on what ? When you`re at work, you just `focus` on your work experiences. at home you focus on your home experiences or your watching inspiring films experience. The mind can vary from Rajasic to Tamasic or Sattvic when inspired but is always focused on some experience or other. nothing is lost.

However, awareness..you, know all these experiences as they happen. you are there before they happen, during and after they happen. without you, there is nothing to focus on and no need to focus or re-focus.

Next time you think that you need to re-focus, why not ask yourself if anything will make you more than what you / awareness are, by re-focusing? What will you actually lose if you don`t re-focus ? will you be reduced in any way ? the answer to all these questions is always no. You as awareness are always whole and complete...and non-dual !
You can put your feet up.....

Using this method of Inquiry, as you know, always brings one back to the self...it`s a lot quicker than any movie :D You need to have the faith to use it time after time and re-assert your stand as awareness itself, until you know without doubt that there is nothing else but you / awareness. No experience of re-focusing will complete the job because all experiences are temporary.

Having said that, there is nothing wrong with watching the occasional nondual film etc, so long as one is careful that it doesn`t lead to confusion. Personally, I wouldn`t recommend Buddhist material as Vedanta and Buddhism do not mix. Buddhism doesn`t have the Inquiry method of discriminating the real from the unreal and is a `path` whereas Vedanta is a means of knowledge.
Just sharing my thoughts here Georg. Other people may have differing recommendations.
Stan

Postby georgschiller » Mon Jun 29, 2015 7:22 pm

Thanks Stan for your great reply!

Indeed watching nonduality movies can lead from a rajas to a tamas mind! I found myself watching one documentary after the other :)

I love the questions you posted!
"why not ask yourself if anything will make you more than what you / awareness are, by re-focusing? What will you actually lose if you don`t re-focus ? will you be reduced in any way ?"

I am looking forward implementing them :)

Thanks a lot (again)!!

Georg :D
georgschiller

Postby Janusz » Mon Aug 24, 2015 8:54 pm

Hello Georg

It is great that you brought up this subject. Movies play extremely important role in my spiritual unfoldment.

Of course, watching movies can be very tamasic but it can become very sattvic if done from completely different perspective.

For years I used to watch TV and movies indiscriminately for entertainment and dulling effect. Somewhere along the road Isvara started leading me to realize that If I do not watch movies with this attitude, but rather
with curiosity what can they teach me about mine, the others (including filmmakers) and the world's conditioning, then even the seemingly most stupid movie, becomes a potential gold mine of spiritual knowledge, since one picture is worth a thousand words.

Every spiritual tradition utlizes telling a story as a teaching method. Isvara simply showed me that modern
equivalent of listening to or reading a story can be watching a movie. Thank you so much Isvara !!!

Every movie has this potential but some will resonate better than the others depending on what kind of
conditioning one has to face in a given time. It is absolutely essential to ask Isvara for guidance. There
are so many movies out there, and their number is growing every year, that one could spend the rest of his or
her life, trying to figure out which movies to watch. Ego can easily make watching movies into some kind of
spiritual path. One has to ask Isvara for guidance if watching a movie is what is actually required in a given
moment and, as Stan points out, use discrimination in this regard.

I hope this might be helpful.
Last edited by Janusz on Sat Sep 12, 2015 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Janusz

Postby georgschiller » Tue Aug 25, 2015 1:11 am

Hi Janusz,

I like your post. I share your opinion! Movies and documentaries are great and can support a sattvic lifestyle! I like most those which are focusing on devotion, nature and the universe!

Here is a short list of my favorites (found on youtube):

The power of Ten (it's about the size of an atom compared to the universe)

Adi Shankaracharya (the life of Shankara)

JAI SANTOSHI MAA (it's about nondual and dual devotion in Hinduism)

Gopaal Krishna (it's about Krishna incarnating on Earth to bring balance to Dharma)
georgschiller

Postby Janusz » Tue Aug 25, 2015 10:58 pm

Hi Georg,

Thank you very much for the list. I saw the movie about Shankara and liked it a lot. I am going to watch
the others as well. We might have an excellent idea here: favorite movies exchange forum.
My all time favorite: The Last Temptation of Christ by Martin Scorsese. It is based on a book by Nikos
Kazantzakis. The opening sentence says it all:

"The dual substance of Christ - the yearning, so human, so superhuman, of man to attain to God or,
more exactly, to return to God and identify himself with him - has always been a deep inscrutable mystery
to me. My principal anguish and the source of all my joys and sorrows from my youth onward has been
the incessant, merciless battle between the spirit and the flesh."
Janusz

Return to General Discussion

Login

User Menu